Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 18)

2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 18)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 729 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Steve johnson
Jody
rue
  • Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

I do think Future Nostalgia will pull this through. Though it lacked commercial success and cross-genre appeal, Dua made it feel like a gigantic album during when she campaigned for it. She had various booked shows, appeared on a Netflix documentary and performed different songs there. Though I personally think Folklore deserves the win, Future Nostalgia defined 2020. She was one of the artists who made disco-pop songs and carried the genre. Considering Taylor is literally against the industry norms, I can’t see her winning a third AOTY. I still root for Folklore but I’ll place my bet with FN.

Fn did not define 2020. It was indeed the opposite. Folklore was an album born out of solitude.

But agree with the rest. It has higher chances of winning aoty. Only album which has all general field noms. Dua is a fresh face like Taylor during fearless or billie last year. She campaigned hard and collaborated with too many people including industry stalwarts (which will only help in pulling votes). Her album has critical acclaim. Uk voters will have her back.The songs were huge and she had like 6 or 7 singles as opposed to folklores 1 single.

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

How exactly did Future Nostalgia define 2020?

how did it not? she literally lead the biggest trend in pop music for the whole year

Profile picture
    Topics:

19 days away from the ceremony, here are some predictions:

Album of The Year: folklore, Taylor Swift
    Record of The Year: “Don’t Start Now” – Dua Lipa
    Song of The Year: “cardigan” – Taylor Swift
    Best New Artist: Megan Thee Stallion

– Taylor to sweep Pop
    – Fiona Apple to go 3/3
    – Lil Baby to win Rap Perf and Rap Song
    – BMV going to Harry Styles
    – Beyoncé to win both noms in R&B

Profile picture
    Steve johnson
    Topics:

Phoebe Bridgers is going empty-handed.

Profile picture
    alex
    Topics:

i think there’s definitely enough reason to warrant the belief that dua has the potential to upset on AOTY considering she’s the only one this year to tick all the general field nominations and all 3 pop nominations. however, the argument that future nostalgia defined 2020 is not as strong as ppl are making it out to be. although yes it did produce hits in the us – don’t start now – is it’s biggest strength. i’d defo be on board to say that song defined 2020 bc it was EVERYWHERE. it’s an organic smash hit, a modern disco pop banger that is universally loved. i honestly think that is her biggest chance of sweeping. i think that song could win all three: pop solo, soty and roty. i just think it’s too strong.

in terms of AOTY i just don’t see it beating folklore, i really don’t. it could be the upset for sure, it’s impossible to know whose going to win 100% but the strength of folklore is the album. the closest AOTY nominee that folklore reminds me of is golden hour in 2018. that album was carried on the strength of it as an ALBUM. despite having no hit singles, even in the country charts golden hour was loved as an album by the music industry. folklore has that same appeal.

Profile picture
    Yeah
    Topics:

If Dua is taking ROTY and SOTY, then she will also snatch AOTY. There’s no in between. If Childish Gambino had an album in 2018, he undoubtedly would’ve swept the GF.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

i think there’s definitely enough reason to warrant the belief that dua has the potential to upset on AOTY considering she’s the only one this year to tick all the general field nominations and all 3 pop nominations. however, the argument that future nostalgia defined 2020 is not as strong as ppl are making it out to be. although yes it did produce hits in the us – don’t start now – is it’s biggest strength. i’d defo be on board to say that song defined 2020 bc it was EVERYWHERE. it’s an organic smash hit, a modern disco pop banger that is universally loved. i honestly think that is her biggest chance of sweeping. i think that song could win all three: pop solo, soty and roty. i just think it’s too strong. in terms of AOTY i just don’t see it beating folklore, i really don’t. it could be the upset for sure, it’s impossible to know whose going to win 100% but the strength of folklore is the album. the closest AOTY nominee that folklore reminds me of is golden hour in 2018. that album was carried on the strength of it as an ALBUM. despite having no hit singles, even in the country charts golden hour was loved as an album by the music industry. folklore has that same appeal.

Grammy voters are lazy..if dua is taking roty/soty she is taking the album category. Kacey had strong genre support and the roty/soty  winner of that year did not have any album in contention. Only path for folklore to win would be something during 1989 era, soty and roty go to different ppl.

Profile picture
    grandeswiftknowles
    Topics:

If Dua is taking ROTY and SOTY, then she will also snatch AOTY. There’s no in between. If Childish Gambino had an album in 2018, he undoubtedly would’ve swept the GF.

Amy Winehouse, Lady A, Sam Smith etc. must be shocked to learn that a win in Record and Song guarantees a win in Album

! The claim in this post is disputed

Profile picture
    LawC
    Topics:

AOTY – Future Nostalgia
    ROTY – Don’t Start Now
    SOTY – Don’t Start Now
    BNA – Megan Thee Stallion

Dua will sweep.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Amy Winehouse, Lady A, Sam Smith etc. must be shocked to learn that a win in Record and Song guarantees a win in Album

If dua wins roty/soty and loses aoty , Taylor isn’t the one winning…it will be some album from a different genre. But recent grammy history has been sweeps after sweeps so dua is the safest bet.

Profile picture
    grandeswiftknowles
    Topics:

If dua wins roty/soty and loses aoty , Taylor isn’t the one winning…

Why? And if it’s because that would mean DSN beats Cardigan in SOTY then allow me to remind you of Single Ladies vs YBWM and Fearless vs IASF

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Why? And if it’s because that would mean DSN beats Cardigan in SOTY then allow me to remind you of Single Ladies vs YBWM and Fearless vs IASF

Again….different genres…i can’t say the reasoning other than lazy voting but statistically it has been sweeps. You don’t beat someone from the same genre in 2 categories in gf and lose another gf field to them. I am sure it has happened but it is rare and the gf expansion allowed billie eilish to sweep.

Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

its funny how we’ve been debating this for so long that Taylor freaking Swift has somehow turned into the underdog just so that conversation can continue lmao.

March 14 can’t get here soon enough

Profile picture
    grandeswiftknowles
    Topics:

Again….different genres…i can’t say the reasoning other than lazy voting but statistically it has been sweeps. You don’t beat someone from the same genre in 2 categories in gf and lose another gf field to them. I am sure it has happened but it is rare and the gf expansion allowed billie eilish to sweep.

I don’t really understand why genre here matters. Taylor has already beaten someone in AOTY that she lost to in SOTY. I don’t see why this couldn’t happen again.

Also like, you guys can smackcam me on March 14 but Taylor winning SOTY is way more likely than Dua winning AOTY. Look at the albums that sweep and tell me that FN is as successful. I saw someone compare FN to 25 which is a dumb comparison considering FN hasn’t even outsold 25s first DAY sales yet.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

I don’t really understand why genre here matters. Taylor has already beaten someone in AOTY that she lost to in SOTY. I don’t see why this couldn’t happen again. Also like, you guys can smackcam me on March 14 but Taylor winning SOTY is way more likely than Dua winning AOTY. Look at the albums that sweep. I saw someone compare FN to 25 which is a dumb comparison considering FN hasn’t even outsold 25s first DAY sales yet.

This year is a bit weird because when you take after hours out of the equation which we all would have thought would sweep…the leading contenders folklore and fn are not very strong based on how many nominations the albums got. But if I were to predict based on past years it would be a gf sweep for dua.

I think duas album is comparable to 24k magic( his album was bigger but not worth a sweep, had much lesser critical acclaim than fn and he like dua campaigned like crazy) and dua can be compared to adele in terms of both being Brits so uk voters will support.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 729 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 18)’ is closed to new replies.