Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 6)

2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 512 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
DAVEJ82470547
jellythe3rd
sara
  • Profile picture
    reputationsgrammy
    Topics:

The difference between folklore and Taylor’s Grammy-winning albums is that folklore hasn’t produced any songs as ubiquitous as “You Belong with Me,” “Love Story,” “Shake It Off,” “Blank Space,” etc. The album is already out of the top 10, and it doesn’t seem that Taylor is pushing this album as much as her previous ones, for whatever reasons.

I don’t see this playing a factor in it’s chances. Unlike her previous albums, which were by definition commercial, folklore is an almost anti-commercial release. She’s done the opposite of everything we’ve come to expect from a Taylor album rollout this era: no big lead single pre-album, no in-your-face teasers, no big award show performances.

I don’t think voters will hold it against her that her first true anti-commercial era, in which she’s sent only one proper single to pop radio, didn’t spawn an undeniable hit in a climate where stripped back, singer-songwriter-y songs struggle to chart. The goal of 1989 was to be a massive, inescapable album that would produce pop hits. The goal of folklore was to take things down several notches and focus on the music — both achieved their goals.

proud delusional swiftie

Profile picture
    cah
    Topics:

By the way, do you guys think 7 last year was a BRP pick or was it a straight vote?

Profile picture
    folklorevoodoo
    Topics:

By the way, do you guys think 7 last year was a BRP pick or was it a straight vote?

definitely BRP. I think they put him in so there would be some representation for the gay community.

Profile picture
    moriahface
    Topics:

No TS album (including Folklore) has ever outright ‘flopped’. Even her most underwhelming eras sell extremely well. The narrative of a 3rd win has been legitimized in articles from Billboard & Variety. So it’s definitely being discussed. Taylor could very well make history.

Those same outlets also predicted reputation and Lover to get in AOTY. Take it with a grain of salt.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

It probably barely made the top 20 and was selected as a BRP pick. I don’t think it was because of his sexual orientation only, they probably just really liked him. Or it could be members adding it as their 8th pick to add more diversity.

Profile picture
    grandeswiftknowles
    Topics:

definitely BRP. I think they put him in so there would be some representation for the gay community.

LNX getting in over Tyler the Creator is one of the worst grammy decisions. At least Tyler still won something in the end….

FYC
    AOTY: After Hours, Fetch The Boltcutters, Folklore, Future Nostalgia, K Bye For Now, Magdalene, Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial, Punisher

Profile picture
    Marcos
    Topics:

I’m waffling over what the R&B pick will be: Ungodly Hour or Over It. What are your guys’ arguments for each?

I’ll be waiting for the Soul Train to further comment on that but they both have equal chances in my opinion:

Over It: biggest R&B album of the eligibility period, well received critically and Summer is back to promote it.

Ungodly Hour: Beyoncé. It’s a really good body of work and the girls have been promoting the hell out of it, with multiple performances all over the summer of many songs. Given this context (promoting the album itself) they may enter – also they are young, Black and talented. Perfect package to be recognized by the Grammys this year.

Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

WWAFA really only had one HUGE single and technically After Hours would be it’s comparison but After Hours as an album is not selling as good as Billies so that’s why it’s hard to predict.

you’re right but she still had some singles that were top 40 that were there for awhile. Like when the party’s over stayed on the charts for over 30 weeks and it now is super close to a billion streams. So even if she only had one major hit, she still had many minor ones that were played for a while

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Every day I’m more convinced that Harry Styles is winning AOTY.

Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

Also Golden was confirmed as the next single for Fine Line recently. If it does well so it may help his album when the Commitees meet. Honestly I’m still waiting for Taylor to come

Profile picture
    abelhours
    Topics:

Meanwhile I’m oscillating wildly between various very different scenarios for him. But I will say that I think it is unlikely that someone with his baggage, who also hasn’t been nominated before, will win the top prize on his first go. I still mostly think the nomination(s) will be his prize this time around.

Profile picture
    musiccisum
    Topics:

Also Golden was confirmed as the next single for Fine Line recently. If it does well so it may help his album when the Commitees meet. Honestly I’m still waiting for Taylor to come

I wonder why they release golden as a single so late. it seems like it‘s purpose is to get votes for winning but shouldn’t they have done the release for securing nominations. or are they like this safe he‘ll get them anyways?

Profile picture
    moriahface
    Topics:

I wonder why they release golden as a single so late. it seems like it‘s purpose is to get votes for winning but shouldn’t they have done the release for securing nominations. or are they like this safe he‘ll get them anyways?

They were probably confident about the first round voting and wanted Golden to ramp up around now. And also didn’t want to have it drowned out while Watermelon Sugar was still peaking.

Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

It’s already receiving pretty heavy adds on Pop radio despite it only impacting a week from now, so it should rise quite quickly there, similar to the rise Levitating is getting for Dua currently. His personalised website that he’s used as a promotional tool for all singles for Fine Line updated to fit Golden today, so the video should be released this week or the next. He also filmed a video with Free Nationals recently which seems to be a live performance of some sort, which might coincide with the AMAs.

Profile picture
    musiccisum
    Topics:

can you explain why you think that?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.