Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 7)

2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 528 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
moriahface
grandeswiftkn..
DAVEJ82470547
  • Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

Why would you be surprised? Fetch the Bolt Cutters is the best album released in years. And people have been sleeping on Fiona for far too long.

Because I’m not used to old, presumably “straight” white dudes looking to uplift anyone but white dudes. I also sometimes forget that Fiona’s been in the game for over a couple of decades and of course has accumulated a good amount of +40 year old fans in the industry. But as I’ve mentioned before, outside of the ridiculous amount of critical acclaim, the album’s wide demo appeal in the industry is its biggest asset.

Profile picture
    cah
    Topics:

So, how does label block voting works? Do they agree beforehand to vote in the same contenders from their labels?

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

tha’s how Bon Iver got two nominations last year. NO WAY that album made the top 20 and ABSOLUTELY no way that HEY, MA made the top 20 for record of the year. And I say that as a huge fan

Please……. Bon Iver were nominated for GF even before i,i era. They definitely have industry support and enough votes to make in into Top 20. Your are reaching at this point

For you consideration :

Album of the year : folklore
    Record of the year : Don't Start Now
    Song of the year : cardigan
    Best new artist : Phoebe Bridgers

Best pop vocal album : folklore
    Best rap album : Alfredo
    Best alternative music album : Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    Best progressive R&B album : Ungodly Hour

Profile picture
    "How You Doin'"
    Topics:

Phoebe Bridgers + Album of the Year nom = NOT happening (BARF!)

Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

Even though I’m rooting for Fetch the Bolt Cutters all the way.

I wonder will the Rock Genre Block rally behind her with votes .

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

She was nommed for “Female Rock Vocal Performance” with Paper Bag, a song as far from rock as they come. She’ll have the rock votes.

But we’ll know for sure when the noms come out. If she’s nominated for Rock Song/Rock Performance, we’ll know she has the block behind her album.

Profile picture
    myhouse
    Topics:

She won “Female Rock Vocal Performance” with Paper Bag, a song as far from rock as they come. She’ll have the rock votes.

But we’ll know for sure when the noms come out. If she’s nominated for Rock Song/Rock Performance, we’ll know she has the block behind her album.

Criminal*

Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

I think Fiona could get in if this is how people are talking about her Album. And I think she (like The Weeknd and Taylor), has multi genre appeal, which means she likely can get multiple nominations. I think we can talk who will likely win once the nominations are in, if there is multiple Pop nominations then that bodes less well for Taylor and The Weeknd (although they might have enough appeal to overcome it) and if other Alternative albums make it in, then it might affect Fiona. I think the big thing is how Taylor and The Weeknd would make it. If no country album makes it, then I could see then voting for Taylor since she’s been going to all their awards shows and actually putting a song on country radio that did ok (I actually heard it quite a bit) and if no other R&B people make it in and hip hop underperforms, then his chances will go up more. It honestly just depends on what the blue ribbon committee pushes

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

Criminal*

oh yeah sorry. She was only nominated for Paper Bag.

Profile picture
    "How You Doin'"
    Topics:

Honey, if Fiona Apple gets 2 General Field nominations, 2 Rock nominations, and a Best Alternative Music Album nomination.  That’s 5 nominations.  Girlfriend is NOT getting that many nominations.  2-3 at most.

Profile picture
    Breathe
    Topics:

If no country album makes it, then I could see then voting for Taylor since she’s been going to all their awards shows

I don’t think a country album would hurt Taylor more than an alternative album would do for Fiona. Chris Stapleton’s “Traveller” was nominated in Album of the Year and Taylor still won.

Profile picture
    Adam 🎹
    Topics:

“Fetch The Bolt Cutters” is a masterpiece and one of the best albums I have heard. I still get a feeling it will get snubbed out of AOTY. “My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy” by Kanye was critically acclaimed too and got a perfect 10 in Pitchfork yet it wasn’t nominated in AOTY. Kanye is a Grammy darling unlike Fiona which means he had more chances of getting in the GF. I still hope Fiona gets nominated though.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

“Fetch The Bolt Cutters” is a masterpiece and one of the best albums I have heard. I still get a feeling it will get snubbed out of AOTY. “My Dark Beautiful Twisted Fantasy” by Kanye was critically acclaimed too and got a perfect 10 in Pitchfork yet it wasn’t nominated in AOTY. Kanye is a Grammy darling unlike Fiona which means he had more chances of getting in the GF. I still hope Fiona gets nominated though.

The GF is all in the hands of the panel now, unlike years ago. So, whatever they choose to do is what will be done.

As much as people look back and are shocked by Kanye’s snub, it did end up making sense. There was possibly some vote splitting with that album. That also was the beginning of Kanye becoming a divisive public figure. (MBDTF was released a year after “I’mma let you finish… ”). It was a profanity-laden “hip-hop” album with rather lewd cover art. The album was released a year before voting. While despite the acclaim, it was an album from a mainstream artist that had no big singles and was his least radio friendly/least Grammy friendly album up until that point. It wasn’t that hard for voters to look around him.

The biggest things tying Fiona and Kanye (outside of him being a Fiona stan) is that they’re the last two artists Pitchfork gave 10’s to.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Wasn’t MBDTF also quite old and lost buzz by the end of eligibility? It topped lists in the previous year. And it could have gotten in if there was an 8-nominee lineup.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Fiona will get 4 nominations.

Album (lock)
    Record Of The Year
    Best Rock Song
    Alternative Album (lock)
    Best Engineered Album (doesn’t count for her)

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 528 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.