Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 8)

2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 514 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
moriahface
ciguanaba
2021ravenclaw1
  • Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

I meant highest quality in the minds of the voters. The voters don’t care what anyone thinks of the album, definitely not Metacritic. Did you know only 5 of the highest rated Metacritic albums of the year have been nominated in the past 20 years, and all of them lost. What critics have said mean nothing.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Metacritic is not the end be-all, but it can <<sell>>an album to voters that want to push an album as an acclaimed pick. Fiona has an extremely high metascore and it was actually discussed when released, it managed to debut top5 on BB200 and we have seen way more floppier albums in AOTY. If there is a standout critical darling, that’s Fiona this year.

FYC Grammys 2021

Folklore, best-selling album of 2020, 8 weeks #1 on BB200

Nominated for Album Of The Year and Best Pop Vocal Album

Cardigan, #1 hit single off Folklore

Nominated for Song Of The Year and Best Pop Solo Performance

Exile, top10 hit single off Folklore

Nominated for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

Profile picture
    Jellyᴮᴱ
    Topics:

I meant highest quality in the minds of the voters. The voters don’t care what anyone thinks of the album, definitely not Metacritic. Did you know only 5 of the highest rated Metacritic albums of the year have been nominated in the past 20 years, and all of them lost. What critics have said mean nothing.

While metacritic is not the end all be-all, as we have clearly seen in AOTY, it’s stupid to assume critic reviews don’t have an influence on AOTY results, even if the influence is passive at the very least.

FYC:

Dynamite | BTS - BPDGP

Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

My thing with FTBC is that it is considered a frontrunner almost solely on it’s Metascore , when that is proven not to be a solid indicator of a nomination. I personally think the album will be considered too much for most voters

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

FTBC is considered a frontrunner because it’s the best album of the year.

Profile picture
    DAVEJ82470547
    Topics:

*one of* but yes it is very good. And something that the chromatica dude doesn’t realise is that AOTY is what was the most defining album of the year whether in critics or commercially or both. Chromatica has zero going for it. It doesn’t have a narrative and sure people can say all they want the bad endings of songs is to represent how she felt but u can’t deny it sounded bad. She will probably be in pva but if u think se deserves to be in AOTY than you are delusional xx

Profile picture
    mmstry
    Topics:

It’s considered more this year since there’s no obvious insane commercial album other than Hollywood’s bleeding. If there was a 1989 type album it would be the obvious front runner since year after year that kind of album won over the most acclaimed. and even then After Hours is still the main front runner.

Profile picture
    moriahface
    Topics:

If Chromatica makes it into AOTY it certainty won’t be “slapping” anyone. It’s not as if it’s a terribly reviewed album that’s sold nothing. It getting in though would feel kind of odd. It’s not one of the absolute biggest selling albums this year. It doesn’t have any huge singles. It’s not culturally or politically significant. It doesn’t really add much diversity to the proceedings. It doesn’t represent much shift for Gaga as an artist. It doesn’t sound too different from standard dance-pop albums. It’s not particularly acclaimed. And it’s not as if they’d be giving some shine to a new “star”. It would indeed feel more a like name-check and maybe a make-up for ASIB not getting in.

Wait I’m actually laughing because you just listed like every reason why it would absolutely be a slap in the face to miss on an AOTY nomination to Chromatica.

Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

Hi, I am new here. I read your opinions about Chromatica possibilities and actually I don’t understand why you all say it isn’t worthy or it is out of the game. In my opinion Chromatica is one of the front runners and I will explain why:

1. Lady Gaga is 11 times Grammy winner, and she never had won AOTY

2. We didn’t have a dance album winning AOTY in years.

3. It is Gaga’s back to beginning of her career. A moment that a lot of people was waiting for.

4. It is the best received Gaga’s album by critics.

5. The background of this album is so interesting. The full album contains songs about depression, mental disorders, sexism and others strong topics. She used all these topics to create a full dance pop album, because she said that a lot of people is unhappy, but they use a dance as a cure. It’s so creative.

6. Chromatica went #1, Rain On Me went #1, Stupid Love made Top 5, Sour Candy and Alice charted as non-singles.

7. You all said that this album made no noise… Well people, the VMAs night was one of the most important moments of the pop culture this year. All the world was talking about Gaga in this show.

8. We live in the sad and difficult time of pandemic. Giving AOTY (or at least a nomination) to a full dance album, which is about happy way to survive difficult moments, is a very possible stage.

EDIT. 9. One thing I forgot. It is not a 100% vocal album. There is 3 instrumental tracks, all made by Lady Gaga and no one more. One of them is viral in social media and was submitted to 2 instrumental field categories.

Profile picture
    DAVEJ82470547
    Topics:

Hi, I am new here. I read your opinions about Chromatica possibilities and actually I don’t understand why you all say it isn’t worthy or it is out of the game. In my opinion Chromatica is one of the front runners and I will explain why: 1. Lady Gaga is 11 times Grammy winner, and she never had won AOTY 2. We didn’t have a dance album winning AOTY in years. 3. It is Gaga’s back to beginning of her career. A moment that a lot of people was waiting for. 4. It is the best received Gaga’s album by critics. 5. The background of this album is so interesting. The full album contains songs about depression, mental disorders, sexism and others strong topics. She used all these topics to create a full dance pop album, because she said that a lot of people is unhappy, but they use a dance as a cure. It’s so creative. 6. Chromatica went #1, Rain On Me went #1, Stupid Love made Top 5, Sour Candy and Alice charted as a non-singles. 7. You all said that this album made no noise… Well people, the VMAs night was one of the most important moments of the pop culture this year. All the world was talking about Gaga in this show. 8. We live in the sad and difficult time of pandemic. Giving AOTY (or at least a nomination) to a full dance album, which is about happy way to survive difficult moments, is a very possible stage.

1. That doesn’t mean anything

2. Doesn’t mean anything again.

3. It was her back to beginning?? It’s most similar to Artpop. nothing new

4. Fair point but so was lover and we all know how that turned out. Plus there are a lot of better reviewed albums

5. It is not obvious but sure let’s give her this point

6. chromatica is charting behind 3-5 year old albums. Alice and sour candy barely charted

7. VMAs made some noise u r right. but that was the award show not actually Gaga. but sure let’s say she received coverage, it’s a fan voted event and the Grammys werent

8. the album is definitely a cohesive work but the songs are arguably not good. u can’t say the album is all about surviving depression and drug addiction and than say it’s a happy album

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Hi, I am new here. I read your opinions about Chromatica possibilities and actually I don’t understand why you all say it isn’t worthy or it is out of the game. In my opinion Chromatica is one of the front runners and I will explain why: 1. Lady Gaga is 11 times Grammy winner, and she never had won AOTY 2. We didn’t have a dance album winning AOTY in years. 3. It is Gaga’s back to beginning of her career. A moment that a lot of people was waiting for. 4. It is the best received Gaga’s album by critics. 5. The background of this album is so interesting. The full album contains songs about depression, mental disorders, sexism and others strong topics. She used all these topics to create a full dance pop album, because she said that a lot of people is unhappy, but they use a dance as a cure. It’s so creative. 6. Chromatica went #1, Rain On Me went #1, Stupid Love made Top 5, Sour Candy and Alice charted as a non-singles. 7. You all said that this album made no noise… Well people, the VMAs night was one of the most important moments of the pop culture this year. All the world was talking about Gaga in this show. 8. We live in the sad and difficult time of pandemic. Giving AOTY (or at least a nomination) to a full dance album, which is about happy way to survive difficult moments, is a very possible stage.

Hey! Welcome to GoldDerby. I want to respond to some of these points so here we go:

1) Plenty of artists have won multiple Grammy’s without winning AOTY (ie. Beyonce)

2) We also haven’t had a rap album win in a very long time as well. They don’t usually pick just based on the fact that they haven’t rewarded a certain genre yet.

3) Gaga’s actual albums at the beginning of her career also didn’t win AOTY and Chromatica wasn’t really received the same way

4) While that’s true, critics are generally more kind now than 10 years ago. This is anecdotal but I definitely think albums like The Fame were more well-received and considered more ‘artistic’

5) That’s an opinion. While I agree it’s creative, I don’t think creativity deserves to be rewarded solely because it’s creative.

6) By this logic, Rare could also be nominated for AOTY. Both peaked at number 1 and had some hits. Going number 1 isn’t that impressive for a star of Gaga’s calibre. The issue with Chromatica is that its success isn’t anything remarkable. It hasn’t had the biggest hits, the best sales, the most radio or anything.

7) The ratings for the VMA’s would suggest otherwise. The fact is, her album didn’t make much noise at all. Obviously that’s also anecdotal but I do think it’s the prevailing opinion

8) If they go that route (and they probably won’t), there are other albums to reward like Future Nostalgia.

Just some thoughts, not trying to shame you at all.

FYC:

folklore: AOTY, BPVA
    cardigan: SOTY
    exile: BPDGP

Don't Start Now: ROTY, BPSP

Ungodly Hour: BPR&BA
    Do It: BR&BS
    Wonder What She Thinks Of Me: BTR&BP

Phoebe Bridgers: BNA
    Punisher: Alt. A
    Kyoto: BRS, BRP

Profile picture
    DAVEJ82470547
    Topics:

Hi, I am new here. I read your opinions about Chromatica possibilities and actually I don’t understand why you all say it isn’t worthy or it is out of the game. In my opinion Chromatica is one of the front runners and I will explain why: 1. Lady Gaga is 11 times Grammy winner, and she never had won AOTY 2. We didn’t have a dance album winning AOTY in years. 3. It is Gaga’s back to beginning of her career. A moment that a lot of people was waiting for. 4. It is the best received Gaga’s album by critics. 5. The background of this album is so interesting. The full album contains songs about depression, mental disorders, sexism and others strong topics. She used all these topics to create a full dance pop album, because she said that a lot of people is unhappy, but they use a dance as a cure. It’s so creative. 6. Chromatica went #1, Rain On Me went #1, Stupid Love made Top 5, Sour Candy and Alice charted as non-singles. 7. You all said that this album made no noise… Well people, the VMAs night was one of the most important moments of the pop culture this year. All the world was talking about Gaga in this show. 8. We live in the sad and difficult time of pandemic. Giving AOTY (or at least a nomination) to a full dance album, which is about happy way to survive difficult moments, is a very possible stage. EDIT. 9. One thing I forgot. It is not a 100% vocal album. There is 3 instrumental tracks, all made by Lady Gaga and no one more. One of them is viral in social media and was submitted to 2 instrumental field categories.

To be fair Chromatica 2 leading to 911 is incredible

Profile picture
    DAVEJ82470547
    Topics:

Now chromatica getting multiple noms can happen just not in AOTY

Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

The ratings for the VMA’s would suggest otherwise.

VMA 2020: 6.4M

VMA 2019: 4.9M

VMA 2018: 2.25M

VMA 2017: 2.66M

VMA 2016: 3.30M

VMA 2015: 5.03M

VMA 2014: 8.30M

The best result (in millions) since 2014.

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

VMA 2020: 6.4M VMA 2019: 4.9M VMA 2018: 2.25M VMA 2017: 2.66M VMA 2016: 3.30M VMA 2015: 5.03M VMA 2014: 8.30M The best result (in millions) since 2014.

BTS

FYC:

folklore: AOTY, BPVA
    cardigan: SOTY
    exile: BPDGP

Don't Start Now: ROTY, BPSP

Ungodly Hour: BPR&BA
    Do It: BR&BS
    Wonder What She Thinks Of Me: BTR&BP

Phoebe Bridgers: BNA
    Punisher: Alt. A
    Kyoto: BRS, BRP

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.