Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 8)

2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 514 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
moriahface
ciguanaba
2021ravenclaw1
  • Profile picture
    XS
    Topics:

Grammy ceremonies where 3/4 of the General Field winners were Black:

28th Grammy Awards (1986)

Album of the Year: No Jacket Required by Phil Collins

Record of the Year: We Are the World produced by Quincy Jones

Song of the Year: We Are the World written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie

Best New Artist: Sade

31st Grammy Awards (1989):

Album of the Year: Faith by George Michael

Record of the Year: Don’t Worry Be Happy produced by Bobby McFerrin and Linda Goldstein

Song of the Year: Don’t Worry Be Happy written by Bobby McFerrin

Best New Artist: Tracy Chapman

36th Grammy Awards (1994):

Album of the Year: The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album by Whitney Houston/Various Artists

Record of the Year: I Will Always Love You produced by Whitney Houston and David Foster

Song of the Year: A Whole New World written by Alan Menken and Tim Rice

Best New Artist: Toni Braxton

Do we think this will the be the first Grammy ceremony where are all of the winners in General Field are predominantly Black?

Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

Grammy ceremonies where 3/4 of the General Field winners were Black: 28th Grammy Awards (1986) Album of the Year: No Jacket Required by Phil Collins Record of the Year: We Are the World produced by Quincy Jones Song of the Year: We Are the World written by Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie Best New Artist: Sade 31st Grammy Awards (1989): Album of the Year: Faith by George Michael Record of the Year: Don’t Worry Be Happy produced by Bobby McFerrin and Linda Goldstein Song of the Year: Don’t Worry Be Happy written by Bobby McFerrin Best New Artist: Tracy Chapman 36th Grammy Awards (1994): Album of the Year: The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album by Whitney Houston/Various Artists Record of the Year: I Will Always Love You produced by Whitney Houston and David Foster Song of the Year: A Whole New World written by Alan Menken and Tim Rice Best New Artist: Toni Braxton Do we think this will the be the first Grammy ceremony where are all of the winners in General Field are predominantly Black?

I mean it could happen. I just hope it’s for the right people. Because if it’s a Weeknd sweep with Megan (who actually does deserve the award just putting that out there) win it then… oh well. I don’t think it would be that great. Now if albums like Punisher or songs from artists like HER win, then I’m all for it

Profile picture
    "How You Doin'"
    Topics:

Honey, it’s about damn time that all of the General winners are black.  Shit, the General Field were all white last year (BARF!)

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Do we think this will the be the first Grammy ceremony where are all of the winners in General Field are predominantly Black?

The Weeknd would likely sweep. BNA could go to a White artist. I think Megan & Doja are beatable.

Profile picture
    Breathe
    Topics:

Brittany Howard is campaigning hard. She was on CBS This Morning on 10/27.

“Grammy-winning band Alabama Shakes’ front woman Brittany Howard is stepping out. Wednesday on CBS This Morning, Anthony Mason speaks to Brittany about making her own music, writing about family & sexuality and how she believes she fits into this moment in America.”

The Grammy is broadcast on CBS.

Profile picture
    "How You Doin'"
    Topics:

Honey, as each day goes by, Summer Walker is looking more likely for an AOTY nom.

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

I think Jaime is a lock for Alternative Album and Brittany is a serious threat to get an AOTY nom. I would also love to see “Stay High” in either SOTY or ROTY

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Honey, as each day goes by, Summer Walker is looking more likely for an AOTY nom.

I’ve been saying this for months. Summer Walker’s album was a big deal. I would NOT be surprised if Over It is the token R&B nominee in AOTY.

Profile picture
    Breathe
    Topics:

I think Brittany can upset Fiona in Alternative Album and she is competitive in AOTY.

She is campaigning a lot:

CBS This Morning – Interview this month
    CBS This Morning – Last month and she performed two songs: Stay High and Short and Sweet
    CBS The Late Late Show with James Corden – Last month, she did an interview + performance of Stay High and Baby
    Today Show – Interview in August

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

I think Brittany can upset Fiona in Alternative Album and she is competitive in AOTY.

CBS This Morning – Last month and she performed two songs: Stay High and Short and Sweet
    CBS The Late Late Show with James Corden – Last month, she did an interview + performance of Stay High and Baby

Brittany could easily get in AOTY and win Alternative. She’s respected, a previous winner, & is actually campaigning. Jaime definitely isn’t old news. Sis is putting in the promo 👏🏾🙌🏾

Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

Brittany could easily get in AOTY and win Alternative. She’s respected, a previous winner, & is actually campaigning. Jaime definitely isn’t old news. Sis is putting in the promo 👏🏾

Now that would also be a deserving winner (but obviously so is Fiona).svg” class=”emoji”

Profile picture
    chem_x
    Topics:

Brittany reminds me of Gary Clark Jr. last year. Seemed like a perfect AOTY/SOTY nominee on paper and yet it didn’t happen. Hopefully I’m wrong, though.

Profile picture
    Marcos
    Topics:

It would make sense. In 2011 there were 4 commercial albums (The Fame Monster, Teenage Dream, Recovery and Need You Now) which ended up in Arcade Fire winning as a passion pick.

A similar situation happened in 2015, with two albums representing each genre (In the Lonely Hour and X in Pop; GIRL and Beyoncé in R&B), which likely resulted in splitting – and, again, passion pick.

Also, in both cases, these albums had a singer-songwriter style and were fully produced by its artists. Brittany could benefit from this scenario – and it would be absolutely deserving if we had a Black woman winning Album of the Year.

Profile picture
    jonathan
    Topics:

So a surprisingly accurate predictor/index would suggest that folklore is getting an album of the year nomination:

Apple Music added folklore to Taylor’s “Essential Albums” collection. The other three albums there? Fearless, Red, and 1989.

(if you take this seriously, that’s your fault 😉 )

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

Yeah. Also her music is more Grammy friendly than Fiona’s album and Fiona is not campaigning
    I think she will win Alternative album

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.