Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy predictions: Best New Artist (Part 1)

2021 Grammy predictions: Best New Artist (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 370 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
Jellyᴮᴱ
"How You Doin'"
Vicennn
  • Profile picture
    Marcos
    Topics:

I’ll have a really hard time if Finneas gets a BNA nom – I’m stil reluctant to believe they allowed it. Category fraud at most.

Anyways, given this context they should just rename it to Best Breakthrough Artist. Their concept of “New” doesn’t make any sense at all and they always change the eligiblity rules every year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

So, if Max Martin releases an album or single as an “artist,” then he would be considered a “new artist”?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jellyᴮᴱ
    Topics:

So, if Max Martin releases an album or single as an “artist,” then he would be considered a “new artist”?

Do not put that into the universe. Please and thank you.

FYC:

Dynamite | BTS - BPDGP

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ELIAS ⚡️
    Topics:

I don’t trust Rina in BNA, so I’m taking her out. I feel like Rosalía was the closest towards her, but for one she’s a flamenco Spanish pop star, two different genres and importance. Phoebe can easily take that spot and Rina can seem too niche for pop heads as other indie pop artists before her.

Albums of the Year:

After Hours~The Weeknd
    Fetch the Bolt Cutters~Fiona Apple
    RTJ4~Run the Jewels
    What’s Your Pleasure~Jessie Ware
    The Slow Rush~Tame Impala
    Circles~Mac Miller
    folklore~Taylor Swift
    How I Am Feeling Now~Charli XCX
    SAWAYAMA~Rina Sawayama
    The GOAT-Polo G
    Women in Music Volume Part III-HAIM
    Lianne La Havas~Lianne La Havas
    YHLQMDLG~Bad Bunny
    Punisher~Phoebe Bridgers
    The Strokes~The New Abnormal
    græ~Moses Sumney
    2017-2019~A.A.L.
    Ungodly Hour~Chloe x Halle
    ALIAS~Shygirl

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jellyᴮᴱ
    Topics:

I’m taking out Rina too. If your pop, in general you need to make some waves with the general public and she has not.

FYC:

Dynamite | BTS - BPDGP

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hildreth
    Topics:

Wow FINNEAS is that thirsty to accept more awards…

Compare your spotify listening with me at musictaste.space (code: charismatic-celery-439)! Which one of y'all just compared with me and scored 79? That's insanely high...

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cah
    Topics:

If the BRP doesn’t block Finneas he is getting the nom, and if he gets the nom he’s so winning and I’ll be pissed because Megan should win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

the BRP should block Finneas or else it will be the biggest FRAUD. Like someone said here (i believe), imagine if Billie presents the award to her own brother. I can already see the awkward faces.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vicennn
    Topics:

what would be solid reasons to block him? considering he was allowed in the ballot

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I’m not sold on Finneas getting nominated, regardless. For one, I’m sure the committee will raise concerns about nominating somebody who just won 6 Grammys (including the 3 top categories) over people who haven’t won their first.

Secondly and above all else, Finneas hasn’t exactly made a lot of noise with his solo music. His EP failed to chart on the Billboard 200. The closest thing he’s had to a hit is a song that peaked at #17 on the alternative chart.

He’s had a big year behind-the-scenes branching out from Billie and working on hits for Ashe, Julia Michaels, Selena Gomez, Trevor Daniel, Camila Cabello, Justin Bieber, etc., but that makes a stronger case for a second Producer of the Year nomination than it does for Best New Artist.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Imagine Finneas being nominated for and winning BNA after winning six awards the year before. The backlash would be hilarious. The BRP is there to override whatever the screening committee allowed, and that’s why people shouldn’t get too upset just yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Munchi
    Topics:

Nice point…Lol… I really enjoyed FINNEAS’ EP. His songs “Let’s Fall In Love” and “What They’ll Say About Us” especially.

BNA feels overkill but honestly, I don’t feel Meghan yet. I know she’s likelier to win even with the Nicki-Cardi vibe. It is ok but I just need more uniqueness, consider Lizzo and Billie.

It also doesn’t help that her popular songs are mostly collaborations and with big artists at that. It is a dangerous artist management technique labels use for filler artists. Ariana is one of the few artists to survive early multiple features, but she featured artists <= her level at each point.

It’s okay to not have a number one from your debut. Swift, Drake, Arianna, Kendrick, Ed Sheeran, Bieber, Post, Weekend, Maroon 5 and Adele all didn’t. They progressed their careers and steadily built dependable fan bases. Billie, Dua and Harry are all attempting diverse artist-centric methods.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    "How You Doin'"
    Topics:

Finneas + Best New Artist = a fucking joke (BARF!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Let’s be honest: Roddy Ricch should’ve been eligible for & won BNA.

Lewis Capaldi’s omission is understandable considering that SYL was nominated for SOTY. His breakthrough happened during the last GRAMMY cycle. Fair.

But Roddy won as a feature. A FEATURE! He didn’t blow up until 2020. Before this year he had no prior album in consideration. So technically he is a new artist. The rules need to be re-evaluated ASAP.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

I don’t if anyone noticed it, Doja Cat is having the most features with big artists on her break-out era and she is getting pop features.

She was in In Your Eyes Remix with The Weeknd
    and now in Ariana Grandes new album

She performed in both VMAS and BBMAS, in the later she was actually the most note-worthy perfomance.  Maybe we should consider her odds in BNA for the final voting in December.

FYC Grammys 2021

Folklore, best-selling album of 2020, 8 weeks #1 on BB200

Nominated for Album Of The Year and Best Pop Vocal Album

Cardigan, #1 hit single off Folklore

Nominated for Song Of The Year and Best Pop Solo Performance

Exile, top10 hit single off Folklore

Nominated for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 370 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.