Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy predictions: Best New Artist (Part 1)

2021 Grammy predictions: Best New Artist (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 504 total)
Created
2 years ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Gucci
Monet Tejada
Darren
  • Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

Bon Iver had ROTY and SOTY nominations and was the frontrunner to win Alternative Album (and ultimately won). They also had considerably more hype and commercial success than Phoebe. This comparison is off.

I think the hype is pretty much the same, both were #2 on year end lists with their albums and Punisher is actually more acclaimed than Self Titled. Agreed on the others arguments though.

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Albums aggregate

Phoebe :
    #2 Punisher

Megan :
    #46 Good News

Songs aggregate

Megan :
    #1 WAP
    #2 Savage

Phoebe :
    #5 I Know The End
    #7 Kyoto

Commercial success important in term of exposure but Phoebe is well-known in the industry + she’s white

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

She has rock/alternative and even country/Americana voters.

Please explain this when Ingrid Andress is right there

And I would say Noah Cyrus is more Americana-appealing

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Please explain this when Ingrid Andress is right there And I would say Noah Cyrus is more Americana-appealing

Ingrid doesn’t have a blockbuster era, I doubt she can snatch majority of the votes. Phoebe is well-known singer-songwriter artist, she has cross-genre appeal. Noah Cyrus is irrelevant

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Streets are rising on Spotify/AM. Doja Cat is not a longer a one-hit wonder.

Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

Phoebe’s playing SNL. Her buzz just keeps growing.
    I still think Meghan thee Stallion is going to win BNA but not by much, like 55-45.

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

Phoebe’s playing SNL. Her buzz just keeps growing.
    I still think Meghan thee Stallion is going to win BNA but not by much, like 55-45.

voting ended weeks ago

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Literally. When making predictions we need to isolate who had the hype and exposure during voting which feels weird because when the awards are handed out, they aren’t indicative of who has the current hype and exposure.

FYC:
    That's Where I Am by Maggie Rogers - Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Solo Performance, Best Music Video, Best Country Song, Best Melodic Rap Performance, Best Traditional R&B Performance, Best Country Solo Performance, Best Rap Solo Performance, Best Metal Performance, Best Rock Song, Best American Roots Performance

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

Literally. When making predictions we need to isolate who had the hype and exposure during voting which feels weird because when the awards are handed out, they aren’t indicative of who has the current hype and exposure.

exactly, i feel like people may be swayed towards doja cat because she currently has a growing hit with saweetie, the 34+35 remix, streets going viral & a new era set to begin in february. but the reality is, she had pretty much nothing throughout the whole voting period

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

I’m trying not to let recency blind me here but I think Doja will win.

This category heavily favors popstars. Doja is the only artist here who’s really seen as one. And with Say So pulling out a nom, she has the support from pop voters.

I still think Phoebe and Megan are in with a good shot. Everyone else outside of those 3 are irrelevant tbh.

Johnny Depp is a wifebeater.

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

I’m trying not to let recency blind me here but I think Doja will win.

This category heavily favors popstars. Doja is the only artist here who’s really seen as one. And with Say So pulling out a nom, she has the support from pop voters.

I still think Phoebe and Megan are in with a good shot. Everyone else outside of those 3 are irrelevant tbh.

that’s true, i think doja can win, but the reason she would win is being most pop leaning/ voters liking say so (as you said) rather than relevancy during the period which megan quite easily had more of

Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Get real!  Doja Cat is NOT winning Best New Artist.  She is in the same lane as Iggy Azalea.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Doja Cat has won BNA at most of the major shows so far. She’s problematic but still safe enough for Pop voters to get behind.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

There’s also that possibility neither Doja nor Megan wins BNA. They are both popular enough to split a lot of the votes. That’s where someone like Phoebe could prevail.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

exactly, i feel like people may be swayed towards doja cat because she currently has a growing hit with saweetie, the 34+35 remix, streets going viral & a new era set to begin in february. but the reality is, she had pretty much nothing throughout the whole voting period

A small number of us already pegged Doja as a leading contender since July. I think with Grammys you could do as much as you can to remain “relevant” during voting by campaigning but at the end of the day is who get the votes. If you were voting Megan before the nominations came out then you’re likely to vote Megan even if Phoebe Bridgers does a week long residency at Jimmy Kimmel. It doesn’t change much.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy predictions: Best New Artist (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.