Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy predictions: Best New Artist (Part 1)

2021 Grammy predictions: Best New Artist (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 506 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
DaBaby
Ghost
darren
  • Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Phoebe is getting stronger and stronger, she’s definitely a threat. She has been around in the industry for years, her debut album received acclaim so did her side project (boygenius and BOCC). Punisher is the 2nd most acclaimed album of 2020. Now when you look at the nominees line-up, it’s definitely favoring her. She’s not suffering from vote-splitting situation unlike Megan and Doja. She has rock/alternative and even country/Americana voters.

For you consideration :

Album of the year : folklore
    Record of the year : Don't Start Now
    Song of the year : cardigan
    Best new artist : Phoebe Bridgers

Best pop vocal album : folklore
    Best rap album : Alfredo
    Best alternative music album : Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    Best progressive R&B album : Ungodly Hour

Profile picture
    PSALMS🌕
    Topics:

I feel like the Bon Iver and Nicki Minaj comparison is not similar to Megan and Phoebe expect that there’s a female rap nominee and a critical indie darling.  Megan had a bigger year commercially than Nicki, and WAP/Savage REMIX appear heavenly on critics year-end lists. Additional Bon Ivers self-titled was the critically acclaimed album of 2011 and got him both ROTY and SOTY nominations for Holocene. Phoebe, while still being one of the critically acclaimed albums of the years of the year, fell flat from Fiona’s shadow towards critics, and Kyoto fell flat from ROTY/SOTY nominations.

Edit: I see that Bon Iver is second in year end lists. I do think that Phoebe definitely does have a chance, but not due to vote splitting. They either like Phoebe more or they like Megan more. Either way it better be those two artists for BNA.

RIP SOPHIE

9/10
    HEAUX TALES EP
    WINDSWEPT ADAN
    STARTING OVER
    FOR THE FIRST TIME
    VISIONS OF BODIES BEING BURNED

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

Bon Iver had ROTY and SOTY nominations and was the frontrunner to win Alternative Album (and ultimately won). They also had considerably more hype and commercial success than Phoebe. This comparison is off.

I think the hype is pretty much the same, both were #2 on year end lists with their albums and Punisher is actually more acclaimed than Self Titled. Agreed on the others arguments though.

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Albums aggregate

Phoebe :
    #2 Punisher

Megan :
    #46 Good News

Songs aggregate

Megan :
    #1 WAP
    #2 Savage

Phoebe :
    #5 I Know The End
    #7 Kyoto

Commercial success important in term of exposure but Phoebe is well-known in the industry + she’s white

For you consideration :

Profile picture
    darren
    Topics:

She has rock/alternative and even country/Americana voters.

Please explain this when Ingrid Andress is right there

And I would say Noah Cyrus is more Americana-appealing

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Please explain this when Ingrid Andress is right there And I would say Noah Cyrus is more Americana-appealing

Ingrid doesn’t have a blockbuster era, I doubt she can snatch majority of the votes. Phoebe is well-known singer-songwriter artist, she has cross-genre appeal. Noah Cyrus is irrelevant

For you consideration :

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Streets are rising on Spotify/AM. Doja Cat is not a longer a one-hit wonder.

Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

Phoebe’s playing SNL. Her buzz just keeps growing.
    I still think Meghan thee Stallion is going to win BNA but not by much, like 55-45.

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

Phoebe’s playing SNL. Her buzz just keeps growing.
    I still think Meghan thee Stallion is going to win BNA but not by much, like 55-45.

voting ended weeks ago

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Literally. When making predictions we need to isolate who had the hype and exposure during voting which feels weird because when the awards are handed out, they aren’t indicative of who has the current hype and exposure.

FYC 2021:
    AOTY: folklore
    ROTY: Don't Start Now
    SOTY: cardigan
    BNA: Phoebe Bridgers

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

Literally. When making predictions we need to isolate who had the hype and exposure during voting which feels weird because when the awards are handed out, they aren’t indicative of who has the current hype and exposure.

exactly, i feel like people may be swayed towards doja cat because she currently has a growing hit with saweetie, the 34+35 remix, streets going viral & a new era set to begin in february. but the reality is, she had pretty much nothing throughout the whole voting period

Profile picture
    grandeswiftknowles
    Topics:

I’m trying not to let recency blind me here but I think Doja will win.

This category heavily favors popstars. Doja is the only artist here who’s really seen as one. And with Say So pulling out a nom, she has the support from pop voters.

I still think Phoebe and Megan are in with a good shot. Everyone else outside of those 3 are irrelevant tbh.

! The claim in this post is disputed

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

I’m trying not to let recency blind me here but I think Doja will win.

This category heavily favors popstars. Doja is the only artist here who’s really seen as one. And with Say So pulling out a nom, she has the support from pop voters.

I still think Phoebe and Megan are in with a good shot. Everyone else outside of those 3 are irrelevant tbh.

that’s true, i think doja can win, but the reason she would win is being most pop leaning/ voters liking say so (as you said) rather than relevancy during the period which megan quite easily had more of

Profile picture
    DaBaby
    Topics:

Get real!  Doja Cat is NOT winning Best New Artist.  She is in the same lane as Iggy Azalea.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Doja Cat has won BNA at most of the major shows so far. She’s problematic but still safe enough for Pop voters to get behind.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy predictions: Best New Artist (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.