Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 43)

2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 43)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 640 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Miss Americana
Boz
ciguanaba
  • Profile picture
    TonyKuKo
    Topics:

Not in each category, just as a general statement.

Also Dua Lipa is white.

So if it not in each category then what categories are you talking about? And what do you mean “as a general statement”?

And if Dua Lipa is white then I guess she won’t be nominated for pop. Post Malone is the most likely to take the “token white” in Pop. What do you think?

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

So if it not in each category then what categories are you talking about? And what do you mean “as a general statement”?

And if Dua Lipa is white then I guess she won’t be nominated for pop. Post Malone is the most likely to take the “token white” in Pop. What do you think?

You’re being a little too extreme. It’s just that they will probably put a little more focus on albums and songs by black artists. This happened in 2018 (when Bruno won); the pop field was almost completely white anyways. It’s usually more for the GF.

Profile picture
    Usher
    Topics:

Honey, “Exile” may NOT even get nominated in Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.  That song is a flop and completely forgotten.

Profile picture
    TonyKuKo
    Topics:

You’re being a little too extreme. It’s just that they will probably put a little more focus on albums and songs by black artists. This happened in 2018 (when Bruno won); the pop field was almost completely white anyways. It’s usually more for the GF.

And I think you have no idea what you are saying. Because you said 4-6 POC/Black artists in each category. Now you are saying “more focus on albums and songs by black artists” so I’m guessing that will also be excluding Hispanic, Asians, Native Americans.

You see how ridiculous everything starts sounding when we turn our focus away from music and start classifying people according to their race (just like the Nazis did)?

Also in 2018, the majority of the artists in the GF were ‘of colour’. And does anybody remember the Grammys of 1999 where 4 nominees were female solo artists and the other was a female fronted band and Lauryn Hill (black woman) won? Has that ever happened again?

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

How did we get into the Nazis all of a sudden?

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Random but I think the Verzuz series may have an impact on voting. Especially in the R&B/Rap Fields.

What other musical event had as much impact during the pandemic? Not only did these match-ups generate millions of views and buzz, but it seems like the entire industry was invested.

These are all of the artists who participated with music in contention:
    The-Dream (SXTP4)
    112 (“Spend It All”)
    French Montana (Montana)
    Rick Ross (“Entanglements” & “Pinned to the Cross”, & 5 other features)
    2 Chainz (“Dead Man Walking” & “Money Maker”)
    Tory Lanez (f/ on Kehlani’s “Can I” & “What’s Poppin”)
    Ne-Yo (Another Kind of Christmas)
    Babyface (f/ on Lucky Daye’s “Shoulda”)
    Ludacris & Lil Jon (f/ on Usher’s “Sexbeat”)
    Alicia Keys (“Show Me Love”, “Underdog”, “So Done”)
    John Legend (Bigger Love)
    Brandy (B7)
    Erykah Badu (f/ on Teyana Taylor’s “Lowkey”)

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Topics:

You see how ridiculous everything starts sounding when we turn our focus away from music and start classifying people according to their race (just like the Nazis did)?

I don’t think Boz was being a Nazi. He suggested there will be more focus on Black artists’ work next ceremony. 🙂

Profile picture
    KBeckett
    Topics:

This is when an official moderator would come in handy.

Not much to see here I’m afraid...

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

not the lazy nazi arguments from right wings

Profile picture
    TonyKuKo
    Topics:

How did we get into the Nazis all of a sudden?

Dude because the Nazis had a racial system where they classified people for their race.

If the Grammys want diversity, they should actually diversify into music genres. Yes they say they are gonna nominate 6 albums by black artists in AOTY, and they are all gonna be safe pop sounding albums (i.e. The Weeknd) it’s not like they are gonna nominate Koffee or any reggae album. They are also not likely to nominate Big Sean, DaBaby.

In my opinion, diversity means that the 8 nominees are gonna be from different genres, cultures. You know, you can say. Here’s how it goes 8 nominees, 1 pop, 1 hip-hop, 1 r&b, 1 country, 1 latin, 1 rock/alternative, 1 american roots, and 1 non-pop/non-English (Idk, each country submits an album or something like they do at the Oscars).

Profile picture
    TonyKuKo
    Topics:

not the lazy nazi arguments from right wings

No dude I’m not right wing. I am from Venezuela (a country in South America) and now live in Canada and I don’t really watch any American news. So I didn’t understand what ‘POC’ meant and when I googled it , it was completing it as ‘poc people’ and saw it was an accronym for ‘people of colour’ I found it kinda idk of bad taste. Like why would you put acronyms to people?

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

No dude I’m not right wing. I am from Venezuela (a country in South America) and now live in Canada and I don’t really watch any American news. So I didn’t understand what ‘POC’ meant and when I googled it , it was completing it as ‘poc people’ and saw it was an accronym for ‘people of colour’ I found it kinda idk of bad taste. Like why would you put acronyms to people?

POC is a very recognized and respectful way to refer to people of color, if you were curious. I see where you’re coming from but I haven’t seen people take issue to it.

FYC 2021:
    AOTY: folklore
    ROTY: Don't Start Now
    SOTY: cardigan
    BNA: Phoebe Bridgers

Profile picture
    Che
    Topics:

Like why would you put acronyms to people?

The first step to put down social injustices is to organize the opressed people in a way that they can identify themselves and fight together.

Profile picture
    Che
    Topics:

I don’t know how we got to that point but if you’re that interested you can check what Marx said about the need for workers in 19th century Germany to unionize and assemble forces in order to end the opression they experienced. It’s a similar concept we used to talk today about issues of nationality, race, gender and sexual orientation.

Profile picture
    TonyKuKo
    Topics:

first step to put down social injustices is to organize the opressed people in a way that they can identify themselves and fight together.

Interesting: By calling people of colour ‘POC’.

I’m Venezuelan, gay and mixed-race so yeah I shouldn’t really be participating in an American forum. I don’t understand the conversation. Sorry for offending with the Nazi comment. I’m out. Too much politics and no music.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 640 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 43)’ is closed to new replies.