Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 44)

2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 44)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 533 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
ciguanaba
Roger Federer
rue
  • Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Does Miranda Lambert have a FYC ad?? I was wondering if she submitted Fooled Around And Fell In Love to Country Duo.

She did, iirc.

FYC:

folklore: AOTY, BPVA
    cardigan: SOTY
    exile: BPDGP

Don't Start Now: ROTY, BPSP

Ungodly Hour: BPR&BA
    Do It: BR&BS
    Wonder What She Thinks Of Me: BTR&BP

Phoebe Bridgers: BNA
    Punisher: Alt. A
    Kyoto: BRS, BRP

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Does Miranda Lambert have a FYC ad??

I was wondering if she submitted Fooled Around And Fell In Love to Country Duo.

Yes. Her submissions are on the submissions thread.

Profile picture
    abelhours
    Topics:

Could someone confirm how AOTY voting works? There’s a list of 20 albums assembled (by whom?) and then a panel picks which albums are nominated from that list and then everyone votes on those?

Profile picture
    Dylan George
    Topics:

Any word on Taylor Swift’s submissions? I am really curious to see where and what she submits. I assume “Cardigan” will try for Record, Song, Pop Solo, and Music Video, “Exile” will go for Pop Duo/Group, “Only The Young” or “Beautiful Ghosts” for Visual Media, Miss Americana for Music Film, and “Betty” for Country Song & Performance. I wonder if she will submit anything to the American Roots categories (maybe “The Last Great American Dynasty”, “August”, or “Invisible String”?)

What do you all think?

Profile picture
    blackwidow12
    Topics:

Could someone confirm how AOTY voting works? There’s a list of 20 albums assembled (by whom?) and then a panel picks which albums are nominated from that list and then everyone votes on those?

The voters vote for who they think deserves to be nominated in the first round. The top 20 vote getters are presented to the panel. The panel picks the 8 final nominees from this top 20. The voters choose the winner from this final lineup.

This same process is used to choose the nominations and winners of the other GF categories.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

1. During the first round of voting (to determine nominees), every Grammy voter can vote for up to 5 albums for Album of the Year

2. The 20 albums that get the most votes advance to a committee of about 20 people, who view the list (reportedly in alphabetical order so they don’t know which albums got the most votes), have a 2-day discussion about the albums, then hold a secret vote. The 8 albums with the most votes become the nominees

3. After the nominations are released, Grammy voters can vote for one album for AOTY and the album with the most votes wins

Profile picture
    Che
    Topics:

Any word on Taylor Swift’s submissions? I am really curious to see where and what she submits. I assume “Cardigan” will try for Record, Song, Pop Solo, and Music Video, “Exile” will go for Pop Duo/Group, “Only The Young” or “Beautiful Ghosts” for Visual Media, Miss Americana for Music Film, and “Betty” for Country Song & Performance. I wonder if she will submit anything to the American Roots categories (maybe “The Last Great American Dynasty”, “August”, or “Invisible String”?) What do you all think?

Currently it’s only known that Miss Americana was submitted for Best Music Film and Only The Young for Best Song Written for Visual Media.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

“Only the Young” is blatant category fraud lol

Profile picture
    sara
    Topics:

wait why?

FYC: future nostalgia, Sawayama, Hollywood’s bleeding

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

“Only the Young” is blatant category fraud lol

Why?

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

I’m assuming it’s because Only The Young was written for Lover, not for Miss Americana. The rules of that category are unclear. While yes, it was definitely not written with the idea of Miss Americana in mind, it was released in conjunction with the movie.

You’d have a tough time proving that all songs nominated in that category were written with the film in mind, not just placed on the soundtrack after the writing process was done. Some of the songs from ASIB could have theoretically been written before hand or were written for Joanne but we don’t know that.

FYC:

Profile picture
    CyberFunk
    Topics:

Why?

I think to qualify, songs must be written with the intent for a specific documentary/film. Merely featuring in a documentary does not suffice if the song was not written with that intent from the start. So I’m guessing that they’re maybe referring to the absence of that intent which previously barred some songs from competing like Miley Cyrus’ The Climb. Only The Young feels like something that didn’t make the cut for Lover so they decided to release it with the documentary.

Profile picture
    CyberFunk
    Topics:

ASIB could have theoretically been written before hand or were written for Joanne but we don’t know that.

The two songs that won from ASIB had the intent clear all over the lyrics. Shallow was a drowning metaphor because initially Bradley’s character was supposed to drown. And I’ll Never Love Again specifically talks about trauma following a lover’s death, referencing that relationship. But yes, usually the Grammy’s leave it up to the honesty/integrity of the artist and their label. For example Miley’s label is the one that informed the Grammy’s of the intent issue.

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

but the thing is, they were making the documentary WHILE she was recording Lover, so I can see the case where the song is in fact part of the documentary and written with that film not in mind, but as part of it. For me it’s a moot point anyway since I don’t see that half-baked tune making the cut.

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

The two songs that won from ASIB had the intent clear all over the lyrics. Shallow was a drowning metaphor because initially Bradley’s character was supposed to drown. And I’ll Never Love Again specifically talks about trauma following a lover’s death, referencing that relationship. But yes, usually the Grammy’s leave it up to the honesty/integrity of the artist and their label. For example Miley’s label is the one that informed the Grammy’s of the intent issue.

Sure, that was just an example off the top of my head. I still find it highly unlikely that every nominated song was written intentionally for the film it’s in.

Like ciguanaba said, she’s not getting in anyways so it doesn’t really matter.

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 533 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 44)’ is closed to new replies.