Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 46)

2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 969 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
epiphany
ciguanaba
JennyLewisFan
  • Profile picture
    abelhours
    Topics:

I don’t think Harry’s getting into the GF. It could happen, but if it does, I don’t see him happening over Dua.

Harry and Dua will likely be on the list for all three categories from which the BRP selects the nominees. With Dua campaigning as hard as she is, it’s not unlikely she’ll happen over Harry even though his album has sold more than twice as much, and he’s had a #1 and she hasn’t, and he’s had two top 10s, which she hasn’t.

Dua doesn’t have the baggage Harry has, and she had DSN blow up due to TikTok plus more critical raves. Is her album more a collection of songs than a true album experience like Fine Line? Perhaps. But her team is doing everything right.

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Harry and Dua will likely be on the list for all three categories from which the BRP selects the nominees. With Dua campaigning as hard as she is, it’s not unlikely she’ll happen over Harry even though his album has sold more than twice as much, and he’s had a #1 and she hasn’t, and he’s had two top 10s, which she hasn’t. Dua doesn’t have the baggage Harry has, and she had DSN blow up due to TikTok plus more critical raves. Is her album more a collection of songs than a true album experience like Fine Line? Perhaps. But her team is doing everything right.

Um no. Her album is incredibly cohesive and all tracks compliment each other and have a purpose within the album.

FYC:

AOTY: folklore, Gaslighter, Kid Krow, Ungodly Hour, Punisher, SAWAYAMA, Future Nostalgia, Manic

Profile picture
    abelhours
    Topics:

Um no. Her album is incredibly cohesive and all tracks compliment each other and have a purpose within the album.

Not my experience with the album, but I suppose that is to an extent subjective. People call Chromatica cohesive too, but I call it samey and dull. FN to me felt like she recorded a bunch of songs and picked the ones she thought slapped the hardest and then tacked on a couple of outliers at the end.

Profile picture
    Rickety-old-Thot
    Topics:

I’ve come to like Chromatica more than FN. I think the best songs on FN are better than the best from Chromatica. But the latter is a bit more consistent and distinct. I don’t really think either album is consistent enough or interested in pushing dance-pop into different or interesting territories. I’d still take both over After Hours though.

best albums of 2020: Fetch The Bolt Cutters, Set My Heart On Fire Immediately, What’s Your Pleasure, Run The Jewels 4, St Cloud, Grae, The Descendants of Cain

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

Not my experience with the album, but I suppose that is to an extent subjective. People call Chromatica cohesive too, but I call it samey and dull. FN to me felt like she recorded a bunch of songs and picked the ones she thought slapped the hardest and then tacked on a couple of outliers at the end.

Sounds about right. I listened to the album all the way through yesterday after a long time and it boggles the mind this is what is considered good music nowadays. Don’t Start Now is a cute, catchy single (with a sick bass line) but the rest is middling crap.

Profile picture
    NotAStan
    Topics:

I’ve come to like Chromatica more than FN. I think the best songs on FN are better than the best from Chromatica. But the latter is a bit more consistent and distinct. I don’t really think either album is consistent enough or interested in pushing dance-pop into different or interesting territories. I’d still take both over After Hours though.

My experience with Future Nostalgia, and the reason I love it so much is that it literally lives up to its name. All the songs fulfill a purpose. They’re placed perfectly within the tracklist.

You have songs that recall sounds from yesteryears and include instrumentation that is used in an unconventional way in all of the songs; the cowbell in Don’t Start Now, the flute in Physical, the triangle and xylophone in Pretty Please, the dry bass in Hallucinate, the beautiful violins and strings in Love Again, the strings in Break My Heart. It literally feels like a compression of all these sounds from the 80’s, 90’s and 2000s put into the same album and complementing each other. Lyrically, it may not be the best, but it still conveys the message effectively for each of the songs.

I see it as a tribute and celebration pop music over years. If I were Dua, that’s how I would sell the album.

I also think people are just set on the idea that in order for something to be of high quality it needs to have depressing lyrics and FN is definitely not that. It is a happy record, that was clearly made for a different reality (one where we weren’t going through a pandemic) but that also served its purpose of bringing a ray of light all through quarantine.

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

I reluctant still keeping chromatica on my aoty even though I don’t think it will happen.

But Gaga is such a great artist, she just need a good studio album like ASIB, great lyrics  without the heavy production, to be competitive

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

But Gaga is such a great artist, she just need a good studio album like ASIB, great lyrics without the heavy production, to be competitive

And at least 4 songwriters in each song

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

All of them said time and time again how she’s generous with those songwriting  credits

Profile picture
    marcostm
    Topics:

A Star Is Born deserved a spot in Album of the Year (and I had it like at #3 on my predictions) but I understand why it didn’t make it, a shame. But at least it got a couple more Grammys this year.

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

The Ally songs brought the entire soundtrack down. She has no one to blame but herself for writing those awful tracks.

Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Eh, her solo written songs are among her best actually. She just needs to stop pandering to certain audiences and try to top herself. I wish she was still as ambitious as she was in her first years.

Last.fm: https://www.last.fm/es/user/Into_You
    https://letterboxd.com/cherry123/

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

All of them said time and time again how she’s generous with those songwriting credits

But it’s very surprising how all of her best tracks are always co-written my committee. And this is not a sexist thing, ARUTW had female co-writers. Gaga is in a box, a very talented box, but a box nonetheless. She isn’t able to write deep, heartfelt songs all on her own.

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

Eh, her solo written songs are among her best actually. She just needs to stop pandering to certain audiences and try to top herself. I wish she was still as ambitious as she was in her first years.

Name one. The only one I could find was You and I (I will not use that umlaut) and it’s a pretty song but with no real oomph. It’s cliche after cliche and a shameless Speechless rewrite.

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

Gaga is a very unique writer, its very different from someone like taylor, its more abstract is some ways

but my problem with her is the overproduction, I know its her brand but meh I dislike it a lot. Songs like perfect illusion has such a brilliant melody, but them you can’t hear anything over those loud noises. Even on chromatica, has some great lyrics but they get overshadowed by the production

I really wish she would do like, a better version of joanne, but without caring if the gays will like it.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 969 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.