Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 46)

2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 969 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
epiphany
ciguanaba
JennyLewisFan
  • Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Chance praised Dustbin’s new album, claimed it was as good as MJ’s Off The Wall.

Currently digging :

* Joji - Nectar
    * Sufjan Steven - The Ascension
    * Marsicans - Ursa Major
    * Holly Humberstone - Falling Asleep At The Wheel
    * Rich Brian - 1999

Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

Yeah, fka could pull a janelle and be nominated in aoty and music video.

There’s no way in hell Fiona is missing Alternative Album.

ETA shit I’m so stupid. It’s the klonopin talking.

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Welp never mind wrong thread

Currently digging :

* Joji - Nectar
    * Marsicans - Ursa Major
    * Rich Brian - 1999

Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

Ok I don’t mind if The Weeknd wins a lot of awards (BBTM is actually one of my favorite albums) I just am sad that the song that’ll get him all the awards is being so overplayed abs isn’t even that great (in my OPINION In your Eyes is much better but that’s just what I think)

Profile picture
    Rickety-old-Thot
    Topics:

My experience with Future Nostalgia, and the reason I love it so much is that it literally lives up to its name. All the songs fulfill a purpose. They’re placed perfectly within the tracklist. You have songs that recall sounds from yesteryears and include instrumentation that is used in an unconventional way in all of the songs; the cowbell in Don’t Start Now, the flute in Physical, the triangle and xylophone in Pretty Please, the dry bass in Hallucinate, the beautiful violins and strings in Love Again, the strings in Break My Heart. It literally feels like a compression of all these sounds from the 80’s, 90’s and 2000s put into the same album and complementing each other. Lyrically, it may not be the best, but it still conveys the message effectively for each of the songs. I see it as a tribute and celebration pop music over years. If I were Dua, that’s how I would sell the album. I also think people are just set on the idea that in order for something to be of high quality it needs to have depressing lyrics and FN is definitely not that. It is a happy record, that was clearly made for a different reality (one where we weren’t going through a pandemic) but that also served its purpose of bringing a ray of light all through quarantine.

I heard the album before the pandemic really broke. I have similar feelings towards it that I always had. I think in modern times it’s very difficult to make a great album that’s pure pop, sunny and fun. And I commend Dua for giving it a go. I just didn’t like enough of the songs. The production is sheen and catchy but not all that inventive. The hooks are only decent. It’s pedestrian from a lyrical and storytelling standpoint. Dua is a sassy and passable but one-note vocalist. There’s just not much for me to grab on to despite really liking several songs. But I certainly don’t resent the album’s acclaim.

best albums of 2020: Fetch The Bolt Cutters, Set My Heart On Fire Immediately, What’s Your Pleasure, Run The Jewels 4, St Cloud, Grae, The Descendants of Cain

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Future Nostalgia is pure fun and energy. I didn’t love all the songs first listening to them, but over time I realized that I couldn’t get them out of my head (in a good way) and I couldn’t stop listening to them. I adore almost every song on that album now and still put them on all the time. I can’t even explain it, just something about the production makes it impossible to not enjoy for me. I really hope Dupa gets into AOTY because she would totally completely deserve it.

Profile picture
    Adele
    Topics:

Honey, Dua Lipa is getting in Album of the Year.  However, she will NOT win.

Profile picture
    Vogue
    Topics:

I thought Folklore was a lock the minute it dropped but it doesn’t have the Earth shattering discourse I thought it’d have. I’m sticking with After Hours for AOTY.

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Future Nostalgia winning Mercury Prize will certainly put Dua as serious contender for AOTY

Currently digging :

* Joji - Nectar
    * Marsicans - Ursa Major
    * Rich Brian - 1999

Profile picture
    Roger Federer
    Topics:

Future Nostalgia winning Mercury Prize will certainly put Dua as serious contender for AOTY

A commercial pop artist is not winning AOTY with a #4 peaked album which flopped too.

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

A commercial pop artist is not winning AOTY with a #4 peaked album which flopped too.

Currently digging :

* Joji - Nectar
    * Marsicans - Ursa Major
    * Rich Brian - 1999

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Future Nostalgia is the type of album that can get AOTY nomination, but not the type of album that wins that. Even if the album was more successful, regardless of being highly acclaimed. If Dua is nominated, that alone would be a win for her, any artist nominated in AOTY is being rewarded, because a body of work is recognised and nominated in the most prestigious category, in the past with only 5 albums making it,it was an even bigger deal to get AOTY nom.

FYC Grammys 2021

Folklore, best-selling album of 2020, 8 weeks #1 on BB200

Highly acclaimed by all critics with 88/100 metascore

Profile picture
    Mr Brightside
    Topics:

Why? The last time a Mercury nominated album even got into AOTY was Adele 21.

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

I was listening folklore on loop last night, and the album hit me so hard, I felt deeply emotional. Yeah, I don’t mind if folklore wins AOTY, at least POC artists lose to a worthy winner.

Currently digging :

* Joji - Nectar
    * Marsicans - Ursa Major
    * Rich Brian - 1999

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

Why? The last time a Mercury nominated album even got into AOTY was Adele 21.

she didn’t even win and look how she did at the grammys. if dua wins the mercury prize it’s not unsensible to conclude that she’s more of a contender than she was before

FYC:
    yummy - ROTY/SOTY/BPSP/BMV

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 969 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.