Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 46)

2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 46)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 969 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
epiphany
ciguanaba
JennyLewisFan
  • Profile picture
    abelhours
    Topics:

Grammy less racist? Good, now we can conclude that both 1989 and 25 won over TPAB and Lemonade simply because the albums were superior than the latter. Now folklore also have no issue of getting blocked by BRP. Case closed and now everyone is happy. Yay!

Another bad faith post from you, twisting words and arguments. It’s not surprising.

Profile picture
    abelhours
    Topics:

So let’s recap the views in here on After Hours used to discredit the album:

• “It’s mediocre; it wasn’t well-received.” – Actually it’s his most acclaimed release since his debut mixtape, and more well-received than several recent AOTY winners. It’s also embraced by the GP who love his sound.

•“It only has Blinding Lights. That’s it.” – For one: an album doesn’t need powerhouse hits to be worthy of AOTY. But also: he has one. And another #1 and a top 20 hit, which is more than most recent winners, and certainly enough.

•“It didn’t sell very well.” – It spent its first four weeks atop the BB200 chart and is one of the best-selling albums of the year. Albums also don’t need exceptional sales to win.

•“If he wins it’s because of BLM.” – It’s a deeply apolitical album, if anything voters may be relieved voting for it would be less of a political statement than voting for the manifestos of Kendrick and Beyoncé. And being hesitant about awarding another white woman does not mean voting for AH is inherently a political act. Simply assuming that it must be is racist.

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

You people act like there wasn’t some justification for Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar losing. Do you forget so easily how huge 1989 was? Moreover, she had this crossover narrative going on. 1989 was at the tip of everyone’s tongue that period. Kendrick had, by measure of critical acclaim, the better album but wasn’t just as popular. The only Kendrick loss that surprises the shit out of remains DAMN..

Then you want to talk about an album that wasn’t even available for streaming until years after its release? “Formation” had a horrible run on the charts all thanks to “Queen Bey” herself. 25 was Adele’s epic comeback. And trust the Grammys, they’re addicted to sweeps.

There’s some logic behind these wins. Let’s not take two black people understandably losing AOTY as a measure the Recording Academy’s “inherent racism.”

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

Top 10 H.E.R wins in the general field:

When the hell did I say H.E.R. was some big winner? When?

Profile picture
    CyberFunk
    Topics:

Many undeserving white albums won AOTY before. You guys are acting like The Weeknd winning AOTY would be such a controversy. First of all, his album has a higher MC than half of AOTY winners this past decade. And second, even if the album isn’t a masterpiece, it won’t be the first to win AOTY without being a masterpiece. If anything, there’s some good in it in the sense that people of color are getting their fair share of recognition. There is no truly undeniable era that should win over After Hours. Even Folklore’s era has a weakness, which is the fact that it doesn’t have a hit.

Profile picture
    Roger Federer
    Topics:

Y’all don’t give a single fuck about equality/equity and black artist being recognized, no matter how acclaimed, successful and deserving they are. Cut the bullshit already

And why do you think that you are the only one who cares? We all respect equality. I haven’t seen a single person who bitches about kendrick and his beautiful album. Win or loss is not in our hands. I don’t want to talk about beyonce.

Profile picture
    grandeswiftknowles
    Topics:

That “4 out of 40” thing doesn’t even hold up—are you implying that the remaining 36 weren’t deserving to some degree? Really? PLEASE.

Are you implying that there were only 4 black artists deserving to win to some degree? Really? PLEASE.

FYC
    AOTY: After Hours, Fetch The Boltcutters, Folklore, Future Nostalgia, K Bye For Now, Magdalene, Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial, Punisher

Profile picture
    Roger Federer
    Topics:

Well according to them 7 nominations in GF in only 2 years means nothing.

Profile picture
    grandeswiftknowles
    Topics:

If you have to use H.E.R, who has never won outside of R&B, as proof that there isn’t an anti-black bias within the grammys then you are actually proving the exact opposite.

FYC
    AOTY: After Hours, Fetch The Boltcutters, Folklore, Future Nostalgia, K Bye For Now, Magdalene, Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial, Punisher

Profile picture
    DeuxSkyfall
    Topics:

There is no logical reason why 25 won over Lemonade for AOTY other than the voters NOT wanting her to win. Record of the Year and Song of the Year for Hello made sense, but AOTY.. no nothing will justify, I don’t care how many albums it sold.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Are you implying that there were only 4 black artists deserving to win to some degree? Really? PLEASE.

The anti-black bias is SO transparent at this point. Black people losing with outstanding material isn’t a big deal but there’s no problem with white artists winning over them because they’re “deserving to some degree” (the degree in question almost always being their sales)

Trash

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Chadwick Boseman

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

According to the Grammys, yes. Not my choices, theirs. If you wanna slander them as “racist,” that’s your problem. If I make a playlist of my fave songs and it’s 9 white guys and 1 black guy, I’m a “coon” now? Get real, gurl!

Profile picture
    Alexandra
    Topics:

There is no logical reason why 25 won over Lemonade for AOTY other than the voters NOT wanting her to win. Record of the Year and Song of the Year for Hello made sense, but AOTY.. no nothing will justify, I don’t care how many albums it sold.

Hello carried the entire era and to be fair the same thing applies to Blinding Lights.

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

If you have to use H.E.R, who has never won outside of R&B, as proof that there isn’t an anti-black bias within the grammys then you are actually proving the exact opposite.

I brought up H.E.R. because of the “safe” music thing and not that she’s some uber- sweeping Grammy darling or whatever. Had I wanted to use a case study, it’d have been Stevie Wonder.

Profile picture
    NotAStan
    Topics:

I believe BLM will play a part on the nominations, but not on the wins. I still think Taylor, Dua, Fiona and Harry will make it in. The line up will consist of that and The Weekend and 3 more POC for AOTY.

Same thing for SOTY & ROTY.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 969 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Predictions (Part 46)’ is closed to new replies.