Home Forums Music 2021 GRAMMY Rap Field Predictions (Part 1)

2021 GRAMMY Rap Field Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 211 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Prada
Ghost
Deemy
  • Profile picture
    jesusxsantos
    Topics:

Honestly, Freddie, Jay, and Nas are the only three that I have no issues with being here. Royce and D Smoke’s albums were on NO ONES radar, and the disrespect for Roddy and RTJ is just unbearable. That said I’d love for Nas to finally get his Grammy or even Freddie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jesusxsantos
    Topics:

Also I don’t understand why the performance and song categories were dominated by younger rappers, but they were completely shut out of the album categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Nas deserves this. King’s Disease is an incredible album and its amazing that Nas as a lyricist is still at the top of his game 30 years into his career. He’s the FIRST rapper to have an album chart within the top 5 in 3 different decades. Plus its a good look for older artists within the genre to continue being recognized for their excellent contributions in the same maner that artists in Rock, R&B, and Country are.

Also I believe that as the most popular genre sales and marketing wise, Rap deserves another category within the Grammys. They can still have Best Rap Album but also there needs to be a “Best Traditional Hip Hop Album” category as well.

Also the reason alot of the younger rappers are nominated for singles and not their respective albums is because many of the younger rappers pad their projects with filler in order to increase their streams. A lot of those albums are crafted around 2-3 hit singles and a bunch of crap. Whereas the elder statesmen artists still take pride in crafting entire projects meant to be listened to front to back.

Take an album like King’s Disease or A Written Testimony and compare it to Kirk (Da Baby) or Legends Never Die (Juice World) its night and day difference

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jesusxsantos
    Topics:

Other genres have been able to appreciate older and younger others simultaneously. It seems like they wanted to keep the two groups separate this year. But I definitely agree that a “Traditional Hip Hip Album” would be a much needed inclusion that would allow for a lot more artists to be recognized.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AwardsBait3818
    Topics:

Anyone else disappointed in the Rap Performance nominees? “Savage” and “Deep Reverence” are great, and “The Bigger Picture” is fine. That said, “What’s Poppin’” and “BOP” are mediocre and “Dior” is awful. Really hoping Megan/Beyoncé or Sean/Nipsey take this one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Megan/Beyoncé will win Best Rap Performance fairly easy. The Grammys already gave Nipsey his flowers last year, Da Baby will probably have a much better chance in Best Melodic Rap, Jack Harlow should be lucky to be nominated, Pop Smoke’s nomination will be similar to Mac Miller’s, and I feel like Lil Baby’s luck will be squelched and his fans will have a lot to say about it.

Megan is the breakthrough act of the year with a #1 hit to boot. I don’t see how she loses that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Megan/Beyoncé will win Best Rap Performance fairly easy. The Grammys already gave Nipsey his flowers last year, Da Baby will probably have a much better chance in Best Melodic Rap, Jack Harlow should be lucky to be nominated, Pop Smoke’s nomination will be similar to Mac Miller’s, and I feel like Lil Baby’s luck will be squelched and his fans will have a lot to say about it. Megan is the breakthrough act of the year with a #1 hit to boot. I don’t see how she loses that category.

Megan will definitely win. She’s got the Beyonce stimulus package plus all the hype. Its hers to lose.

Roddy gets Best Rap Melodic Performance. The Box is just an undeniable song.

I could see Megan picking up best rap song, but I also see The Bigger Picture taking it given the climate of the year and Bigger Picture being an extremely relevant song that was also extremely popular.

Nas gets Best Rap Album. King’s Disease had the acclaim, Nas has the name and brand recognition, the narrative (A bonafide legend 30 years into his career with no Grammy win) and for the first time in 13 nominations, he has the highest selling album of the nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

I’m sorry Nas, despite your legend status Freddie deserved to win Best Rap Album *insert Kanye intonation

For you consideration :

Album of the year : folklore
    Record of the year : Don't Start Now
    Song of the year : cardigan
    Best new artist : Phoebe Bridgers

Best pop vocal album : folklore
    Best rap album : Alfredo
    Best alternative music album : Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    Best progressive R&B album : Ungodly Hour

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

I’m sorry Nas, despite your legend status Freddie deserved to win Best Rap Album *insert Kanye intonation

Lol nobody in their right mind would dare take the mic from Nas. They’d be outcast from the rap world

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Lol nobody in their right mind would dare take the mic from Nas. They’d be outcast from the rap world

You’ve been blinded by his legend status. King’s Disease is not as acclaimed you stated, it gets 72 Metascore meanwhile Alfredo sits comfortably with 88. As much as rap fans happy with his new music, the result is quite underwhelming.

For you consideration :

Album of the year : folklore
    Record of the year : Don't Start Now
    Song of the year : cardigan
    Best new artist : Phoebe Bridgers

Best pop vocal album : folklore
    Best rap album : Alfredo
    Best alternative music album : Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    Best progressive R&B album : Ungodly Hour

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

You’ve been blinded by his legend status. King’s Disease is not as acclaimed you stated, it gets 72 Metascore meanwhile Alfredo sits comfortably with 88. As much as rap fans happy with his new music, the result is quite underwhelming.

Traditionally the Rap Album Of The Year goes to either the highest seller or the artist with the bigger name.

For the first time in 13 nominations, Nas is not only the highest selling album of all the nominees, he has also has the biggest name awareness. Nas has been a mainstream artist for 28 years, the only other MC with that amount of success and continued cultural relevance is Jay-Z. If the RAOTY category was actually chosen going by acclaim and Metacritic scores then Nas himself would at least have 3 Grammys by now.

Given all the evidence and the patterns of the past winners of the category, this should be a shoo in for Nas.

I like Alfredo. Its probably my 3rd or 4th favorite album of the year. Hell for the first time EVER I like almost every album nominated in the category (the lone exception is D Smoke, who despite me considering myself a hardcore Hip Hop head, I barely knew existed) But I LOVED King’s Disease. I love what it represents as a product of the continued evolution of Hip Hop as not just a genre for “young kids”. I loved that Nas and Hit Boy had phenomenal chemistry. I loved the subject matter, and I loved that Nas proved he’s still one of the best lyricists alive today.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Meg could join Cardi, Salt N Pepa, Kim, Left Eye, Missy, Eve, Lizzo, Lauryn, & Latifah as Female Rappers with GRAMMYs 👏🏾

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Prada
    Topics:

Honey, Metacritic is NOT the end-all-be-all.  You ladies have got to realize voters do NOT give a shit about critical-acclaim.

The legend Nas is winning Best Rap Album.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Nas’ longevity and the fact that he put out an album with generally positive reviews 30 years into his career would be enough for most true Hip Hop fans not to “take the mic out of his hands.” Nas is one of the most respected and revered rappers of all-time. A win here would not be only for a good enough album but for a legendary career. All-in-all, no one gives a damn about his Metacritic score, which is on par with the supposed frontrunner Roddy Ricch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Honey, Metacritic is NOT the end-all-be-all. You ladies have got to realize voters do NOT give a shit about critical-acclaim. The legend Nas is winning Best Rap Album.

EXACTLY

If Metacritic was the barometer for Grammy Awards Nas would already have a Grammy for Life Is Good in 2013 (81%) instead of Take Care (78%)

Kendrick Lamar would have 3 AOTY Gramophones in 2014 (GKMC 91%) instead of RAM (87) 2016 (TPAB 96%) instead of 1989 (76) and 2018 (DAMN 95%) instead 24K Magic (70)

Beyonce would have 2 AOTY Gramophones in 2015 (Beyonce 85%) instead of Morning Phase (80%) and 2016 (Lemonade 92%) instead of 25 ( 75)

I could go on and on with names including Kanye West, Mariah Carey, Janelle Monae, etc.

its not about critical acclaim. its about name and brand recognition, sales, with a touch of narrative. Nas has all three this time around.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 211 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.