Home Forums Music 2021 GRAMMY Rap Field Predictions (Part 1)

2021 GRAMMY Rap Field Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 243 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Ziggiy
Xtina
Ghost
  • Profile picture
    chem_x
    Topics:

I still can’t decide on Rap Song. I guess a Megan/Bey sweep would make sense, but I don’t see it happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

I still can’t decide on Rap Song. I guess a Megan/Bey sweep would make sense, but I don’t see it happening.

Its either “The Box”’ or “Savage” with an outside chance of “The Bigger Picture”.

Out of those three I predicted The Bigger Picture because I thought that Lil Baby’s blend of mainstream relevance and the topical nature of the song itself  would leapfrog him to a W. But Megan’s had really gained momentum and it feels like she’s about to have a big night which will include a bug performance and at least two awards. This could be that second category

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    chem_x
    Topics:

Its either “The Box”’ or “Savage” with an outside chance of “The Bigger Picture”.

Out of those three I predicted The Bigger Picture because I thought that Lil Baby’s blend of mainstream relevance and the topical nature of the song itself would leapfrog him to a W. But Megan’s had really gained momentum and it feels like she’s about to have a big night which will include a bug performance and at least two awards. This could be that second category

I decided to spread the wealth with my predictions. I just have this gut feeling that Rockstar will win something. Rockstar and Savage were the biggest rap songs of pandemic life. Rockstar is a way to award two artists. But The Box was obviously huge and deserves a win. For now, I’m going with:

Rap Performance – Savage (remix)
    Melodic Rap Performance – Rockstar
    Rap Song – The Box

I know this is lowkey nonsensical but I’m hoping to get at least one of them right. I have Anderson in second place for Melodic bc he always manages to win despite the odds.

And re: Lil Baby, in a less competitive year he’d be such an obvious winner. I feel like the song not being a huge smash (and “just” a hit) might hurt him in this line-up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

I decided to spread the wealth with my predictions. I just have this gut feeling that Rockstar will win something. Rockstar and Savage were the biggest rap songs of pandemic life. Rockstar is a way to award two artists. But The Box was obviously huge and deserves a win. For now, I’m going with: Rap Performance – Savage (remix) Melodic Rap Performance – Rockstar Rap Song – The Box I know this is lowkey nonsensical but I’m hoping to get at least one of them right. I have Anderson in second place for Melodic bc he always manages to win despite the odds. And re: Lil Baby, in a less competitive year he’d be such an obvious winner. I feel like the song not being a huge smash (and “just” a hit) might hurt him in this line-up.

I decided to Spread the wealth as well except I gave Lil Baby Best Rap Song (I made my predictions soon after nominations were announced)  Megan Thee Stallion Rap Performance and Best Melodic Rap Performance to Roddy Rich. I just can’t see a scenario where The Box doesn’t get a Genre award. It was THE rap smash of 2020.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

Rap Performance Big Sean f/ Nipsey Hussle, “Deep Reverence” Spoiler: Megan Thee Stallion f/ Beyoncé, “Savage” Melodic Rap Anderson .Paak, “Lockdown” Spoiler: Roddy Rich, “The Box” Rap Song Roddy Ricch, “The Box” Spoiler: Megan Thee Stallion f/ Beyoncé, “Savage” Album Nas, King’s Disease Spoiler: D Smoke, Black Habits

Yeah, these are close to mine. Maybe Lil Baby can win Rap Performance instead of Megan or Big Sean/Nipsey. Also everybody underestimated Freddie Gibbs in Rap Album, if anybody upset in that category it will be Alfredo.

Rest in Peace MF DOOM

Rest in Peace DMX

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Xtina
    Topics:

Honey, Big Sean & Nipsey Hussle are NOT winning Best Rap Performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    chem_x
    Topics:

Megan could be like SZA going home empty handed.

People forget how beloved Nipsey Hussle is within the industry. Even if he already won 2 Grammys last year, that category could be name checked.

I have the Nipsey collab as my #2. I think it’s being underestimated too, especially since Sean is a veteran now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Yeah, these are close to mine. Maybe Lil Baby can win Rap Performance instead of Megan or Big Sean/Nipsey. Also everybody underestimated Freddie Gibbs in Rap Album, if anybody upset in that category it will be Alfredo.

Gibbs is definitely the spoiler as his project was the most critically acclaimed of the nominees. His chances are MILES ahead of D Smoke (despite D Smoke’s Best New Artist nom) but still leagues below Nas

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

The problem with the Nipsey Hussle thing is that you have Pop Smoke with a similar narrative.

“Savage” should be safe for the win. ROTY nomination + biggest hit nominated + Beyoncé (with the most nominations) should equal a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

The problem with the Nipsey Hissle thing is that you have Pop Smoke with a similar narrative.

Pop probably gets the edge because of his newness and relevance. Nipsey got his Grammy flowers last year.

Either way i’m not really thinking either has a legit shot

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Pop probably gets the edge because of his newness and relevance. Nipsey got his Grammy flowers last year.

Either way i’m not really thinking either has a legit shot

That’s exactly why I think the voters have moved on from Nipsey this period. I’m not sure if Pop Smoke has the humanitarian background that Nipsey had, so his nomination is most likely his award.

This argument kind of reminds me of the one we had about Cardi B and Mac Miller. I see it ending in a similar way, with Megan sweeping through with a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

I wouldnt mind Deep Reverence winning because that means Big Sean gets his overdue Grammy. J. Cole got his last year so its time for Sean to get his.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

I wouldnt mind Deep Reverence winning because that means Big Sean gets his overdue Grammy. J. Cole got his last year so its time for Sean to get his.

Sean kinda improved. When he first came out, he was the ” ASS, ASS, ASS” guy or Bieber’s guest rapper. Dark Sky Paradise, I Decided and Detroit 2 are really solid albums and his relationship with Jhene Aiko also got him more mature.

Rest in Peace MF DOOM

Rest in Peace DMX

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    chem_x
    Topics:

The problem with the Nipsey Hussle thing is that you have Pop Smoke with a similar narrative.

“Savage” should be safe for the win. ROTY nomination + biggest hit nominated + Beyoncé (with the most nominations) should equal a win.

While I agree with your overall point, I don’t think Pop and Nipsey are comparable. Nipsey was an industry vet that influenced people beyond music. Pop had a very short career before he was taken from us. Conflating their chances is a bit inaccurate.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Seems like the big “battle” in the rap category is Best Rap Song. Roddy Vs Megan with Lil Baby as the “upset”</p>

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 243 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.