Home Forums Music 2021 GRAMMY R&B Field Predictions (Part 1)

2021 GRAMMY R&B Field Predictions (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 545 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Ghost
Deemy
Monsoon 🌊
  • Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

Yeah, maybe “overrated” and “overhyped,” but still properly placed in R&B.

Fair enough, but why quote overrated and overhyped? She is overrated and overhyped.

Who am I? You'll find out soon. Ciao, for now!

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Fair enough, but why quote overrated and overhyped? She is overrated and overhyped.

Not to me.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

The fact that we were supposed to get a new Janet album in 2020 😭

I really need Miss Jackson to make a comeback in the R&B Field. Maybe next year she’ll be the veteran nominee 🤞🏾

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

This new Toni era is a flop. “Do It” is nice, but she definitely doesn’t have a “Long As I Live” this era.

Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

The fact that we were supposed to get a new Janet album in 2020 😭 I really need Miss Jackson to make a comeback in the R&B Field. Maybe next year she’ll be the veteran nominee

Her last nomination was in 2007, so I doubt it..svg” class=”emoji”

Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

This new Toni era is a flop. “Do It” is nice, but she definitely doesn’t have a “Long As I Live” this era.

Agreed.

Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

Sweetie R&B is a panel genre where a committee picks the nominees. So if they want to honor these “old school acts” that you’re championing they still can if they were to end up in R&B Performance Solo or R&B Performance Duo/Group. R&B is not a popularity contest like Pop where Traditional Pop acts are even more at a disadvantage. If Tony Bennett and Diana Krall can beat out Ed Sheehan and Beyoncé for a nod then Fantasia should have an easier time getting in over 6lack since it’s not popularity. Traditional R&B is the least intersecting category there because what makes something “traditional” R&B?? When The R&B music from 2002 is not the same as the R&B in 2020. Neither is it the same from the R&B in 93. So when does the totem pole from traditional to “non-traditional” begin and end?

“R&B is not a popularity contest…” According to whom? Bruno Mars, a pop artist, swept the R&B field for 24K Magic, which essentially was an R&B-influenced pop album. The committee picks and chooses which years to reward a popular artist (Ex: Beyonce in 2015, Bruno in 2018, H.E.R. in 2019.).

Traditional R&B evokes doo-wop, soul, funk, and quiet storm music of the 1940s-1980s. As of this point, any 90s and 00s R&B influenced song would compete for R&B Performance, since that’s relatively new. If this category exists 20 years from now, I suspect Traditional R&B would expand to include music of the 90s, too.

The totem pole would begin in the 1940s-1980s, but many songs nominated for Traditional R&B begin with the Motown sound of the 60s.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

H.E.R deserved all of her nominations except her second AOTY nom. She’s insanely talented.

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

H.E.R deserved all of her nominations except her second AOTY nom. She’s insanely talented.

I’d replace it with an R&B Album nomination.

Profile picture
    chem_x
    Topics:

Are the Soul Train Awards still happening? I haven’t seen a single announcement.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Are the Soul Train Awards still happening? I haven’t seen a single announcement.

Let’s give them until Friday to announce the nominations. They are late this year but could be due to COVID.

Profile picture
    "How U Doin'"
    Topics:

Honey, you bitches be dick-riding.  None of you hoes knew who H.E.R. was until she got her first undeserved Album of the Year nomination.  Now that she’s a committee pick, you girls live.  Give me a fucking break!

H.E.R. did NOT deserve those Album of the Year nominations.  She certainly did NOT deserve a Best R&B Album nomination for I Used to Know Her.  Her Record of the Year and Song of the Year nominations are debatable.  She is NOT any more talented than say, Alicia Keys.  BARF!

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

H.E.R. may not be everyone’s cup of tea. But you can’t deny her talent. Sis definitely deserved her GRAMMY nods/wins.
    There are worse artists to complain about.

I discovered H.E.R.’s music when Rihanna posted an Instagram clip featuring “Focus”. Then my friends & I saw her perform LIVE @ the BET Awards. She killed it.

Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

Honey, you bitches be dick-riding. None of you hoes knew who H.E.R. was until she got her first undeserved Album of the Year nomination. Now that she’s a committee pick, you girls live. Give me a fucking break! H.E.R. did NOT deserve those Album of the Year nominations. She certainly did NOT deserve a Best R&B Album nomination for I Used to Know Her. Her Record of the Year and Song of the Year nominations are debatable. She is NOT any more talented than say, Alicia Keys. BARF!

And worst of all she ain’t R&B either. A white person singing her songs would be put into the Pop category. Focus and Best Part easily sound like one of those bland ass songs by the new-gen hipsters.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

H.E.R. may not be everyone’s cup of tea. But you can’t deny her talent. Sis definitely deserved her GRAMMY nods/wins.
    There are worse artists to complain about.

I discovered H.E.R.’s music when Rihanna posted an Instagram clip featuring “Focus”. Then my friends & I saw her perform LIVE @ the BET Awards. She killed it.

That’s how a majority of people knew about her. That clip on Rih’s IG.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 545 total)

The topic ‘2021 GRAMMY R&B Field Predictions (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.