Home Forums Music 2021 GRAMMY Rock/Alternative Contenders (Part 1)

2021 GRAMMY Rock/Alternative Contenders (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 203 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
RatedRStarZ
theexterminator
ciguanaba
  • Profile picture
    TonyKuKo
    Topics:

Alternative doesn’t have Song/Performance categories, so Alternative acts usually go to rock for track nominations (see: Vampire Weekend’s Harmony Hall last year).

I know. What I’m saying is that alternative acts do not dominate the rock field that is why there’s a bigger chance that blues-rock or hard rock songs made it to rock song/performance rather than alternative acts. Look at Bon Iver, for example, nominated twice for ROTY and hasn’t make it to rock yet.

Among last years’ nominees, Vampire Weekend was the only “alternative act” to be nominated. In fact the only ‘alternative song’ (as in featuring more eclectic, avant-garde sounds) to have ever won Best Rock Song was David Bowie’s “Blackstar”. You might argue that Don’t Wanna Fight or Masseduction are also alternative but they are both guitar-driven songs.

This problem could be avoided if they actually create Alternative song/performance categories but the fact that there aren’t such categories tells you that there’s not much of an ‘alternative music lobby’ pushing for new categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

Bon Iver is too chill for the rock categories, and who knows if they even submitted any song to Rock. Unlikely imo.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

I know. What I’m saying is that alternative acts do not dominate the rock field that is why there’s a bigger chance that blues-rock or hard rock songs made it to rock song/performance rather than alternative acts. Look at Bon Iver, for example, nominated twice for ROTY and hasn’t make it to rock yet.

Among last years’ nominees, Vampire Weekend was the only “alternative act” to be nominated. In fact the only ‘alternative song’ (as in featuring more eclectic, avant-garde sounds) to have ever won Best Rock Song was David Bowie’s “Blackstar”. You might argue that Don’t Wanna Fight or Masseduction are also alternative but they are both guitar-driven songs.

This problem could be avoided if they actually create Alternative song/performance categories but the fact that there aren’t such categories tells you that there’s not much of an ‘alternative music lobby’ pushing for new categories.

MASSEDUCTION won Rock Song. As did Paramore. And I consider those songs to be poprock/alternative-pop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KBeckett
    Topics:

What ever happens, I think we are all predicting too many women in categories where women are often snubbed hard.

Not much to see here I’m afraid...

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KBeckett
    Topics:

MASSEDUCTION won Rock Song. As did Paramore. And I consider those songs to be poprock/alternative-pop.

MASSEDUCTION is avant-garde asf, they do sometimes give the award to inventive songs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

I think The 1975 will get in Rock Performance or Rock Song this year.

I think They should go for People with Rock Perf. And submit “If You’re Too Shy” to Pop. They should submit Notes to Alternative. I think their last album competed in Pop. (Huge mistake).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TonyKuKo
    Topics:

YOU consider MASSEDUCTION to be pop and “Ain’t it Fun” to be alternative pop. But the truth is that they are both guitar-driven songs that means that the guitar is the primary instrument of the song and the rest of the instrumentation revolves around it. Unlike “Blackstar” that revolves around the mixing of different sound effects.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

I’m not sure when was the last time you listened to Masseduction but it’s not a “guitar-driven” song. It’s a sample-heavy, electronic pop song with guitar accents.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KBeckett
    Topics:

I’m not sure when was the last time you listened to Masseduction but it’s not a “guitar-driven” song. It’s a sample-heavy, electronic pop song with guitar accents.

It’s literally produced by pop mainstay Jack Antonoff. It’s driven by electronic instrumentation with brief interludes of guitar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TonyKuKo
    Topics:

Sample-heavy? That I had no clue, which other songs does it sample? I haven’t really listened to it in a long time but I do remember the guitar being the loudest instrument despite of all the electro-pop sounds. I also remember St Vincent performing the song at the GRAMMYs with only the guitar.

Now okay let’s say Masseduction is A POP SONG. Okay then out of the 28 songs that have won Best Rock Song ONLY TWO ARE ALTERNATIVE: Blackstar, Masseduction *rolls eyes*

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

Well those wins (and other nominations) give legitimacy to a prediction like Shameika, which if you pay attention is a very rock ‘n roll song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

Sorry, my bad. I thought Masseduction sampled M.IA. but it doesn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TonyKuKo
    Topics:

Well those wins (and other nominations) give legitimacy to a prediction like Shameika, which if you pay attention is a very rock ‘n roll song.

I know. In fact, I consider the whole album to be more rock-oriented than The Idler Wheel or Extraordinary Machine. What I’m saying is that Academy voters are not going to nominate 3 or 4 ‘alternative’ songs in the rock field.

And the main reason I wouldn’t predict Fiona or Tame Impala in the rock field is not because their songs are not ‘rock’ enough but because they don’t have industry support. Both of them are practically a ‘one-man show’. Like Kevin Parker does all the writing, production, mixing, arrangement by himself in his apartment. I know for a fact that Fiona does all the writing and the arranging. I wouldn’t be surprised if she also produces and mixes the whole thing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

No. She had a full band producing this record and it was mastered by Bob Ludwig, who has been nominated for Engineering and AOTY multiple (and I mean multiple) times. She worked on the first stage of the album with her band but then it included many session musicians and engineers.

I agree with you, though, that 3 alt nominees in Rock is too much. But Fiona seems like a pretty safe bet in a year where she stands out so much. Tame Impala is complete nonsense since I wouldn’t classify his music as rock at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Alternative Album:

The Slow Rush • Tame Impala
    MAGDALENE • FKA twigs
    Fetch the Bolt Cutters • Fiona Apple
    Notes on a Conditional Form • The 1975
    Two Hands • Big Thief

I fear there’s a chance Beck makes it in and either 1975 or twigs loses their spot but for now I’ll keep it as is.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 203 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.