Home Forums Music 2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 12)

2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 633 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
Diamond Tier
almanzarlamar..
ciguanaba

• ciguanaba
    Topics:

even if Lorde had hits melodrama he wouldn’t have won. Ed would have won anyway.

But Melodrama being included was one of the reasons why I feel ambivalent about the committees. They sometimes did amazing things like that and they sometimes created terrible lineups like last year’s.

TomJerry
    Topics:

Get real! A Billie Eilish/Olivia Rodrigo split in Album of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Album is NOT happening.

For this year in particular, I doubt we get an AOTY without winning their respective genre. Most specially due to the removal of committees. Under a straight vote, it would be more unlikely.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

ciguanaba
    Topics:

I mean Brutal and Good 4 U are more rock than some of the rock represents in recent years. I can’t underestimate her.

rock has more to do with attitude than with instruments. And those songs are Hannah Montana-ish.

brutal
    Topics:

rock has more to do with attitude than with instruments. And those songs are Hannah Montana-ish.

this is laughable, minimizing her artistry and comparing her to hannah montana (when they have nothing in common) just because she’s a teenage girl.. maybe if she were a white man then those would be considered “true rock songs” to some people

i don’t understand why pop songs like believer and thunder (the top 2 “rock” songs of the last decade) are considered rock but actual rock/pop-rock songs by olivia are considered “hannah montana-ish” or “disney channel music” just because she’s writing from the perspective of a teenage girl

Red
    Topics:

Brutal is more ”rock” than anything Billie has ever done, the first half of HTE is basically a ballad 🤦 what a bad take

ciguanaba
    Topics:

I was literally arguing that Billie’s winning album should’ve been sent to alternative.

I am also saying that HTE should be sent to rock.

I try to be as objective as possible. I don’t base my opinion on gender or age but on character and qualities. And Olivia’s music is pop. And there’s nothing wrong with it.

ciguanaba
    Topics:

Brutal is more ”rock” than anything Billie has ever done, the first half of HTE is basically a ballad 🤦 what a bad take

As I said, rock and genres have more to do with attitudes, lyrics and overall feeling than with instruments themselves. Yes, Brutal is much more guitar-oriented than HTE, but it doesn’t make up for its pop lyrics and pop performance.

ciguanaba
    Topics:

It would be like you saying that Phoebe Bridger’s I know the end is not a rock song only because it starts off as a folk song. Give me a break.

KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Olivia is a teenager so her music sounds like it comes from a teenager. Duh. I don’t know why some people use that as some sort of insult. Is she supposed to be making songs that sound like they’re from the point of view of a 35-year-old man? I’m 36 years old and I loved Olivia’s album. Not everyone will of course and that’s okay. In my opinion Happier Than Ever doesn’t sound anymore rockish than Brutal and Happier than Ever rock half sounds teen-ish as well. “I’d never treat me this shitty.”

And I don’t mean that in a derogatory way because teenagers are going to be teenagers. I don’t know why people expect teenagers to sound like old people. It’s not like Olivia and Billie are 26 years old and singing a song for a 17 year old like Miss “Call Me Maybe” one hit wonder did (calm down, Emotion is a good Album I agree).

Munchi
    Topics:

this is laughable, minimizing her artistry and comparing her to hannah montana (when they have nothing in common) just because she’s a teenage girl.. maybe if she were a white man then those would be considered “true rock songs” to some people

TBF, Cigunaba clearly classified HTE as rock, Billie is also a female teenager. There’s absolutely no need to assume discrimination.

I’ve always been more into Rock and honestly, I completely get his point. HTE actually feels alternative, Brutal vibes pop rock which was indeed popular in 2000s high school movies. It doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy either.

ciguanaba
    Topics:

Did I use it an insult? I didn’t. I just said I belong in a category and not in another.

Red
    Topics:

As I said, rock and genres have more to do with attitudes, lyrics and overall feeling than with instruments themselves. Yes, Brutal is much more guitar-oriented than HTE, but it doesn’t make up for its pop lyrics and pop performance.

Disagree, I think instrumentation is more important, lyrics don’t change a songs genre. Personally I think HTE is a ballad with rock elements, not really a rock song

What exactly are pop lyrics and performance btw?

ciguanaba
    Topics:

TBF, Cigubana clearly classified HTE as rock, Billie is also a female teenager. There’s absolutely no need to assume discrimination. I’ve always been more into Rock and TBH, I completely get his/her point. HTE actually feels alternative, Brutal feels pop rock which was indeed popular in 2000s High school movies. It doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy either.

Thank you :* and I’m a “him” 🙂 But finally someone that knows what I mean. I’m not diminishing anyone’s accomplishment. Like I said I borderline hate Billie Eilish but I can see her talent and appreciate HTE as the great song it is. Olivia’s Driver License is a-ma-zing but I think she spread herself too thin with the rest of the album so it doesn’t feel like a coherent effort/expression of her artistry.

Rich Thot
    Topics:

Arguing about what is or isn’t “Rock” doesn’t serve a ton of purpose. Most people wouldn’t consider the two songs that won “Rock performance” and “Rock Song” this year as “rock” songs. They’ve become very catchall categories.

However, I don’t think Olivia or Billie is getting nominated in Rock. Since getting rid of the gender divided they have shown that they prefer their vets there, their slightly less mainstream artists, or their very overtly and obvious “Rock” songs and “Rock” artists. I think they’re both too pop, too young, too mainstream for voters to embrace them there. But it’s a possibility.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 633 total)

The topic ‘2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.