Home Forums Music 2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 16)

2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 1,029 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
naveand24
Darren
JennyLewisFan
  • Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

Okay but kpop is for sure “global music” by any stretch of imagination? Like why the hell would it not be

The answer to your question is in its name: K-Pop.

Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

Have any BTS albums competed in Best Global Music Album? I don’t see why any song of theirs, let alone Butter, would compete in Global Performance

Dune and Passing best picture 2022
    Jeremy Strong Best Drama Actor 2022
    Sour Album Of The Year 2022

Profile picture
    Gen
    Topics:

Have any BTS albums competed in Best Global Music Album? I don’t see why any song of theirs, let alone Butter, would compete in Global Performance

No they haven’t. And I don’t see BTS competing or being moved to that category. However, I do think other kpop groups will try to submit there.

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

The answer to your question is in its name: K-Pop.

that’s just a label. And why is pop western?

Profile picture
    Gen
    Topics:

that’s just a label. And why is pop western?

…because it literally originated in the west…

Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

they have never submitted to that category

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Global refers to genres that aren’t Americanized. So think Afrobeats, raja, or regional folk stuff. Jury’s still out on whether reggaeton will be allowed.

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

Global refers to genres that aren’t Americanized. So think Afrobeats, raja, or regional folk stuff. Jury’s still out on whether reggaeton will be allowed.

Isn’t Musica Urbana for reggaeton?

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

I’m stoked for the new Esperanza Spalding album coming out this Friday.

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

So there’s 87 categories that will be announced since last year’s Immersive Audio Album was postponed and will be announced alongside the 2022 version (and assuming there’s enough entries for categories like Musical Theater Album as earlier mentioned).

Latin Grammy nominations are out next Tuesday the 28th. Obviously their eligibility period is different but it’ll still give some insight for the Latin categories.

Profile picture
    V For Vendetta
    Topics:

I hope Wolf Alice gets a nomination.

AOTY - Back Of My Mind
    ROTY - Leave The Door Open
    SOTY - Happier Than Ever
    BNA - Olivia Rodrigo
    BPSP - Happier Than Ever
    BPD/GP - IGAKOOY
    BPVA - Happier Than Ever

Academy Award For Best Original Song 2022 - "Be Alive" by Beyonce

Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

I hope Wolf Alice gets a nomination.

i can’t see them crack the GF but they might get some love from the rock/alternative fields

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Isn’t Musica Urbana for reggaeton?

I mean Global Performance. Música Urbana will be an album category.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

HDD AOTY

FAVORITES

Olivia Rodrigo, SOUR (Geffen): 2021’s biggest breakout thanks to mega-streams on singles like “drivers license” and “good 4 u” (not that stats count), Rodrigo delivered a solid, highly listenable album that showed range, creativity and a compelling point of view. The set was also among a handful of big releases underscoring that rock (in this case spiky alternative pop-rock) was poised to find a large new audience.

Lil Nas X, MONTERO (Columbia): The kid who rocked the planet with “Old Town Road” has grown into a cultural force whose gay-positive messaging is delivered with an irresistible sense of fun and a wide-ranging musicality, even as it delves into painful questions of identity and connection. This project ticks every box that matters to Grammy.

Billie Eilish, Happier Than Ever (Darkroom/Interscope): Grammy adores Billie and lavished her with hardware in 2020 and 2021. She remains a vibrant, inventive artist, a persuasive performer and a genuine “influencer” by any metric. Though this album didn’t have quite the impact of her powerhouse debut, it seems likely that she’ll return to the short list.

Doja Cat, Planet Her (Kemosabe/RCA): 2021 saw Doja graduate from riveting artist with hot singles to full-blown superstar. She solidified that transition as host of the VMAs, where she was funny, glam and ingratiating—and a fierce performer. The stylistically diverse, groove-heavy Planet Her should be acknowledged as a true arrival.

GIVĒON, When It’s All Said and Done… Take Time (Epic): This gifted artist’s appealing baritone and strong songwriting made the biggest noise in R&B, driven by monster single “Heartbreak Anniversary.” But there’s plenty more convincing material where that came from. As far as adult-skewing releases in soul and hip-hop are concerned, this set has a lane to itself.

CONTENDERS

Justin Bieber, Justice (RBMG/Def Jam): We’ve already expounded at length about the need for Grammy to recognize Biebs’ creative growth. On his latest set he runs the emotional gamut, and the material and performances are stellar. Will he finally get the full-tilt recognition he deserves?

Halsey, If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power (Capitol): Bringing in Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross to helm an album of songs about the disruption of motherhood was a risky move—and it paid off with a totally original, disarmingly candid and sonically adventurous set that feels like an album in the classic sense. Halsey truly pushes the envelope here and should be rewarded with a nom.

Taylor Swift, Evermore (Republic): After cavorting, über-successfully, in the pop mainstream for several years, Taylor shifted gears, lighting out for new territory. The alternative-Americana hybrid she forged fits her songwriting to a T and brings tantalizing new shades of gray to her storytelling. The Academy agreed, giving her the 2021 AOTY prize for Folklore. Will its sequel repeat that feat?

Kacey Musgraves, star-crossed (Interscope/Mercury Nashville): Musgraves is already beloved by Grammy; she took AOTY in 2019 for Golden Hour. With this evocative, sophisticated set, she weaves her eclectic musical passions into something singular and striking. As both singer and writer, she’s risen to a new level. Could she be headed for the short list again or will the current plethora of solo female contenders work against her?

Drake, Certified Lover Boy (OVO/Republic): No stats in “for your consideration” ads? That seems like a rule built for artists like Drake, whose gigantic streaming activity and fan engagement would, in a sane world, guarantee his acknowledgement. True, it can be argued that CLB didn’t find the artist breaking new ground. That, combined with his stated indifference to the Grammys, may mean he’s more of a contender in other categories.

Polo G, Hall of Fame (Columbia): While his single “RAPSTAR” got more attention than his full-length did, the Chicago rapper has earned considerable acclaim for his ever-evolving gifts as a storyteller. Poignant and reflective even when acknowledging the most harrowing realities, Polo is also a bona fide album artist, creating a world of his own, and his moment is now. Will he be formally recognized?

Ariana Grande, positions (Republic): Grande is typically rewarded in the Pop categories, and there’s no denying that she makes ravishing pop singles (such as this set’s monster, “34+35”). But her stunningly supple vocals, irresistible, R&B-inflected melodies and some seriously silky production add up to one intoxicating listening experience, genre notwithstanding. If vibe counts at all, positions should get a serious look.

Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

Semi off topic but I’m feeling quite happy currently that Nicki has never won a grammy.

Dune and Passing best picture 2022
    Jeremy Strong Best Drama Actor 2022
    Sour Album Of The Year 2022

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 1,029 total)

The topic ‘2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.