Home Forums Music 2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 16)

2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,029 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
naveand24
Darren
JennyLewisFan
  • Profile picture
    Jay
    Topics:

I don’t think that would be “random”. Kid Laroi is a commercial artist.

It wouldn’t be random, just atrocious.

FYC | Best music this season:

Arlo Parks - Collapsed In Sunbeams
    St. Vincent - Daddy's Home
    Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales
    Tyler, The Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost
    Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

When was the last time a pop album dominated the year as much as SOUR and didn’t win AOTY? I can’t recall any recent examples. (maybe except for Divide which was blocked by the committee) The voters tend to favor this type of blockbuster albums. She’s the most likely to win. Billie is the runner-up. I’m just hoping Billie wins SOTY somehow if she submits Happier Than Ever. Maybe last year’s winner signals that voters are starting to care about the lyrics in that category.

I don’t believe ÷ was necessarily “blocked.” That album was pure trash IMO. It’s undeserved Pop Vocal win was enough.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Alleged plagiarism didn’t stop Sam Smith

That was a super late thing (nor did it attract the same level of attention as the Paramore thing), and Sam and Olivia’s image/sound are completely different. Sam was branded as a “male Adele” (they identified as male then, spare me the technicality), while Olivia’s brand skews very young. Even the memes about people outside her target demographic listening to her album revolved around it largely being millennials / twenty somethings. That’s a very weak comparison.

When was the last time a pop album dominated the year as much as SOUR and didn’t win AOTY?

The Fame, The Fame Monster, Teenage Dream, The E.N.D., I Am Sasha Fierce, In the Lonely Hour, Beauty Behind the Madness, Thank U Next, Purpose, etc. were all fairly recent nominees. It’s hardly uncommon

Seriously, I think some of you are blinded by the similarities between Olivia and Billie a couple of years ago, and not paying enough attention to the clear differences.

In fact, Olivia’s most glaring weak point is Billie herself. We’ve seen just how much voters love Billie and she’s back in the running in all the top categories. Billie was not competing with Grammy darlings when she made her nigh-unprecedented sweep. Bruno Mars is another darling that Olivia will be contending with in Record and Song.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I also gave Ed Sheeran – Thinking Out Loud as an example. Uptown Funk was also one of the songs. Why are you changing the subject?

How is addressing the crux of your argument “changing the subject”? Try harder.

Thinking Out Loud and Uptown Funk did not attract high profile plagiarism accusations on the magnitude Olivia has with multiple songs, and the fact that I can’t even think of what song you’d be referring to re:Uptown Funk is proof of that.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Why many of you think that they won’t take her seriously to give a GF award, we can’t predict the future but i’m pretty optimistic about it.

Also, WHERE did I say they’re not going to take Olivia seriously? You’re putting words in my mouth to create a counterargument for one I never made. My point is that she’s vulnerable in bigger categories for several reasons, one of which is the plagiarism accusations. Her bigger issues are that she’s going up against Grammy heavyweights like Billie Eilish and Bruno Mars, and that her core demographic is notably younger than even the youngest of most Grammy voters.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Please do. People who lack even basic reading comprehension like yourself have no reason to be here.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Our topic was plagiarism but you added demographics too.

Because no two cases are ever the same, so it’s important to look at all factors for similarities and differences. Not a hard concept to grasp.

I said, Sam Smith, Thinking Out Loud and Uptown Funk both faced plagiarism shit. Just Google it.

And the basic idea you fail to understand is that a lot of songs get accused of this. Some of it is baseless, some of it is not. But more importantly, some of it gets way more media traction than others. And the basic fact of the matter is that whatever plagiarism accusations were floated around regarding those songs have not reached the same level of public scrutiny or media coverage as the Olivia songs.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

I don’t believe ÷ was necessarily “blocked.” That album was pure trash IMO. It’s undeserved Pop Vocal win was enough.

Your opinion on its quality aside, it’s fair to say that Divide having won the two awards nominated for could’ve easily been in the General field. I still think Bruno wins, but there is no way Ed wouldn’t have gotten nominated over Childish, Lorde, or arguably Jay-Z without a committee

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

Your opinion on its quality aside, it’s fair to say that Divide having won the two awards nominated for could’ve easily been in the General field. I still think Bruno wins, but there is no way Ed wouldn’t have gotten nominated over Childish, Lorde, or arguably Jay-Z without a committee

Or maybe he just didn’t meet up though? I mean, everyone nominated had some form of narrative:

1. Jay-Z’s album was an indirect answer to Lemonade. They also like Jay-Z too given the likes of The Blueprint 3 were actually nominated in an album category.

2. Kendrick is Kendrick.

3. Lorde is a past SOTY winner, the album was well received, probably she’s a Grammy fave too.

4. Childish Gambino is this multi-talented guy, “Awaken, My Love!” was fairly well received too. And it got a supporting nomination in Record of the Year too, so I think they must’ve liked him an inch more. And EGOT buzz too.

5. And for Bruno, Tom Coyne died, among other things. I guess Bruno is someone they like too, he was a past AOTY nominee.

All Ed Sheeran had were monstrous numbers, which none of these had when in comparison.

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

billie won in 2020 because she did a big campaign what she’s not doing this year, billie won in roty because she had no competition, female Pop-Dance and female rap never won ROTY or SOTY Billie’s victories on the general field in 2020 and 2021 were obvious. she is not so obvious this year.

everything i wanted winning in 2021 was obvious? lol When most people had Dua, Megan, Beyoncé and even Post Malone higher than her in their predictions

And almost everyone had Old Town Road winning ROTY in 2020

Now you all want to say that her wins were obvious lol

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

billie won in 2020 because she did a big campaign what she’s not doing this year, billie won in roty because she had no competition, female Pop-Dance and female rap never won ROTY or SOTY Billie’s victories on the general field in 2020 and 2021 were obvious. she is not so obvious this year.

If you really think Billie won all those awards 2 years ago because of some billboards, magazine covers, and TV performances, idk what to tell you.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 1,029 total)

The topic ‘2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.