Home Forums Music 2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 16)

2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 1,029 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
naveand24
Darren
JennyLewisFan
  • Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

when was last time an album of covers made it to AOTY? Probably Tony Unplugged 1995 win

Raising Sand in 2009

There was also When I Look In Your Eyes (2000), O Brother Where Art Thou (2002), Genius Loves Company (2005), and River: The Joni Letters (2008) after the Bennett win. (All of those albums except the Diana Krall one won. Coincidence?)

And it’s worth considering that there was a committee since ’95, which potentially blocked other such albums from being nominated. Susan Boyle’s I Dreamed a Dream and Lionel Richie’s Tuskegee immediately come to mind as recent(-ish) cover albums that could have gotten in.

Profile picture
    AG
    Topics:

in a perfect setting for Gaga and Tony, I can speed up with pop duo, aoty and traditional pop, I don’t think they’re coming to ROTY. they will certainly be the standout for pop voters as Billie and Olivia have similar narratives and target audience, they can split votes. I agree that the biggest hurdle for L4S is making it to AOTY but with the nomination, a win would be very possible, Gaga is doing a lot of promotion, Tony has the narrative and respect, and the two together have multi-genre support, while Olivia and Billie will split votes another.

Profile picture
    AG
    Topics:

Raising Sand in 2009 There was also When I Look In Your Eyes (2000), O Brother Where Art Thou (2002), Genius Loves Company (2005), and River: The Joni Letters (2008) after the Bennett win. (All of those albums except the Diana Krall one won. Coincidence?) And it’s worth considering that there was a committee since ’95, which potentially blocked other such albums from being nominated. Susan Boyle’s I Dreamed a Dream and Lionel Richie’s Tuskegee immediately come to mind as recent(-ish) cover albums that could have gotten in.

Susan lost the BPVA to Gaga so I don’t know if she would have the strength to reach aoty

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Susan lost the BPVA to Gaga so I don’t know if she would have the strength to reach aoty

I think in this scenario both Gaga and Susan wouldve made in AOTY, albeit Gaga would be ahead in votes.

FYC: Memoria and House of Gucci for Best Picture

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

It was the bestselling album of that eligibility period by a considerable amount. I’m not necessarily saying Susan would have gotten in (she did miss a Best Female Pop Vocal Performance nomination which would have made her vulnerable), but she would certainly have been a contender. She would also have surely gotten in Best New Artist and possibly beat Esperanza Spalding.

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

LFS feels like it has a better chance of getting into AOTY than ROTY lol

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

So Billboard (Paul Grein) claims LFS is eligible since it was released in some versions on the 30th. Do we have an official confirmation or is he just making an assumption?

The article reads like he as writer learnt internally about the confirmation of the eligibility.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/9638836/lady-gaga-tony-bennett-album-eligible-2022-grammys

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Oh so according to Billboard the Academy confirmed LFS is eligible. I didn’t read that part. I guess this makes it easier for us to update our predictions if necessary.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

The article reads like he as writer learnt internally about the confirmation of the eligibility. https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/9638836/lady-gaga-tony-bennett-album-eligible-2022-grammys

Yeah I deleted my message after I reread lol

Profile picture
    Soltseven
    Topics:

I agree that SOUR and Happier Than Ever could split some votes, but mostly pop ones meaning Olivia would be the most affected. I have a feeling that rock/alternative would support Billie more than Olivia, and they are a huge block.

At this point, I still have Billie as the front-runner for AOTY.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Olivia is not proven, I don’t get why we see Olivia above Billie in the prediction center.

Profile picture
    AG
    Topics:

I agree that SOUR and Happier Than Ever could split some votes, but mostly pop ones meaning Olivia would be the most affected. I have a feeling that rock/alternative would support Billie more than Olivia, and they are a huge block. At this point, I still have Billie as the front-runner for AOTY.

Olivia should get more pop votes than Billie as Billie doesn’t have a huge support in pop as even though she won ROTY2 and SOTY she never won BPSP.

Profile picture
    kenato
    Topics:

AOTY:
    1. Billie Eilish, Happier Than Ever
    2. Chris Stapleton, Starting Over
    3. Foo Fighters, Medicine at Midnight
    4. Jazmine Sullivan, Heaux Tales
    5. Lil Nas X, MONTERO
    6. Mickey Guyton, Remember Her Name
    7. Olivia Rodrigo, SOUR
    8. Tyler, the Creator, Call Me If You Get Lost

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

I fear that Homophobia is going to win and Lil Nas X underwhelms with Grammy nominations. His only lock is in Best Pop Solo and Music Video. Every other category I can see him easily being looked over.

Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

Olivia is not proven, I don’t get why we see Olivia above Billie in the prediction center.

Billie wasn’t proven two years ago, and swept the General field. Not saying Olivia will do the same, but not being proven isn’t why she won’t.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 856 through 870 (of 1,029 total)

The topic ‘2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.