Home Forums Music 2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 8)

2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 925 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
TheFunkyDeltron
Music Forever
Boz
  • Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Bieber and Grande still seems unlikely to me. Yeah, pop voters are big but they will split votes. I don’t see Bieber getting rock votes or Grande getting country votes.

And they don’t need to. Most contenders this year are very fixed into one genre, so Bieber and Ariana not getting yeehaw votes won’t hurt as hard as, for example, St. Vincent not getting hip hop voters or J. Cole not getting any love from the folks over at the Jazz field. Pop is still the most popular genre at NARAS and the most accesible.

FYC - Lil Nas X
    MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Perf., Best Music Video
    INDUSTRY BABY - Best Melodic Rap Perf., Best Rap Song
    MONTERO - AOTY, Best Pop Vocal Album

Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

And they don’t need to. Most contenders this year are very fixed into one genre, so Bieber and Ariana not getting yeehaw votes won’t hurt as hard as, for example, St. Vincent not getting hip hop voters or J. Cole not getting any love from the folks over at the Jazz field. Pop is still the most popular genre at NARAS and the most accesible.

Pop love will mostly go to Olivia ( most popular popstar of this year so far) and Billie ( an actual Grammy darling ). Ariana Grande and Bieber both try to win R&B crowd with making R&B-ish songs but R&B already got their favorites. Rap field is big and J Cole released biggest rap project so far. Rock and alternative field likes St. Vincent so they can get rally behind her. Maybe veteran artists like Foo Fighters and Paul McCartney will make their own way for AOTY, i don’t know about that.

Rest in Peace MF DOOM

Rest in Peace DMX

Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

Pop love will mostly go to Olivia ( most popular popstar of this year so far) and Billie ( an actual Grammy darling ).

You realize that during the nomination process they get to vote for 8 albums, right?

FYC
    AOTY: Blue Weekend-Wolf Alice
    ROTY/SOTY: WAP-Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
    Best Drama Actress: Mj Rodriguez

Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

You realize that during the nomination process they get to vote for 8 albums, right?

Okay, i’m gonna ask you this. How big is these pop voters? Three times bigger than rock, country, rap, R&B? If they vote for 8 albums and put Ariana and Bieber in the middle yet they still getting into AOTY over Rap’s main choice, Rock/Alternative’s main choice, HOW BIG ARE THESE POP VOTERS?

Rest in Peace MF DOOM

Rest in Peace DMX

Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

If they vote for 8 albums and put Ariana and Bieber in the middle yet they still getting into AOTY over Rap’s main choice, Rock/Alternative’s main choice

This point would make sense if it was a ranked ballot, but it’s not. And besides, rap’s main choice is J. Cole who they DO NOT care about. Expecting voters to rally behind J. Cole and allow him to overcome genre bias does not make sense when time and time again they’ve proven that they do not like him like that. If we’re honest here, rock/alternative’s main choice is probably Billie Eilish. There’s a reason why she’s able to overcome her pop solo losses in the general field.

Justin Ariana and Taylor are easy namechecks even for non-pop voters. Outside of their respective genres, absolutely no one will be namechecking J. Cole, St. Vincent and Jazmine Sullivan.

FYC
    AOTY: Blue Weekend-Wolf Alice
    ROTY/SOTY: WAP-Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
    Best Drama Actress: Mj Rodriguez

Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

This point would make sense if it was a ranked ballot, but it’s not. And besides, rap’s main choice is J. Cole who they DO NOT care about. Expecting voters to rally behind J. Cole and allow him to overcome genre bias does not make sense when time and time again they’ve proven that they do not like him like that. If we’re honest here, rock/alternative’s main choice is probably Billie Eilish. There’s a reason why she’s able to overcome her pop solo losses in the general field. Justin Ariana and Taylor are easy namechecks even for non-pop voters. Outside of their respective genres, absolutely no one will be namechecking J. Cole, St. Vincent and Jazmine Sullivan.

The Billie Eilish take makes sense, i can understand that. I still stand with my J. Cole take. J. Cole is one of the biggest rappers in last decade and well known in the rap community and rap voters still can rally behind him since they don’t have a better alternatives like Drake and Kendrick. Disagree with Taylor, Bieber and Ariana take because i said before i don’t expect country or rock votes will go to Ariana and Bieber. Olivia and Billie has a better chance for rock votes than both of them and Taylor got some old country fans too. Maybe R&B votes are gonna namecheck them because they are making R&B-ish songs this year but i don’t know if R&B voters love them or not? I don’t expect Sullivan either because R&B voters already got Silk Sonic, H.E.R. and even SZA. However, this might not change my perspective but somehow enlighten me.

Rest in Peace MF DOOM

Rest in Peace DMX

Profile picture
    Soltseven
    Topics:

This point would make sense if it was a ranked ballot, but it’s not. And besides, rap’s main choice is J. Cole who they DO NOT care about. Expecting voters to rally behind J. Cole and allow him to overcome genre bias does not make sense when time and time again they’ve proven that they do not like him like that. If we’re honest here, rock/alternative’s main choice is probably Billie Eilish. There’s a reason why she’s able to overcome her pop solo losses in the general field. Justin Ariana and Taylor are easy namechecks even for non-pop voters. Outside of their respective genres, absolutely no one will be namechecking J. Cole, St. Vincent and Jazmine Sullivan.

Dumb question but how does voting for nominations work? Do the voters choose one album each and or they get to choose 8 albums?

Profile picture
    Jay
    Topics:

We have to remember that our notions of what gets in/gets snubbed will vastly change this year with the new rules. There’s no more down side to over exposure and it’s way more about name recognition, which does make it less fun..

Frankly, I don’t think we should buy into this idea that only the bigger names will make it in just because the nominees will now be determined by the entire voting body. We might be in for a rude awakening if all we’re predicting to see nominated in November is the likes of Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Olivia Rodrigo, etc.

FYC | Best music this season:

Arlo Parks - Collapsed In Sunbeams
    St. Vincent - Daddy's Home
    Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales
    Tyler, The Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost
    Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Pop love will mostly go to Olivia ( most popular popstar of this year so far) and Billie ( an actual Grammy darling ). Ariana Grande and Bieber both try to win R&B crowd with making R&B-ish songs but R&B already got their favorites. Rap field is big and J Cole released biggest rap project so far. Rock and alternative field likes St. Vincent so they can get rally behind her. Maybe veteran artists like Foo Fighters and Paul McCartney will make their own way for AOTY, i don’t know about that.

The problem is you’re assuming each voter only votes for 1 album. Pop voters can go for Olivia and Billie, and also for Bieber and Ariana.

FYC - Lil Nas X
    MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Perf., Best Music Video

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Dumb question but how does voting for nominations work? Do the voters choose one album each and or they get to choose 8 albums?

From what I understand, each voter gets to choose 5 nominees for each category, GF included. The top 8 most voted in General Field get the nom.

FYC - Lil Nas X

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

The Billie Eilish take makes sense, i can understand that. I still stand with my J. Cole take. J. Cole is one of the biggest rappers in last decade and well known in the rap community and rap voters still can rally behind him since they don’t have a better alternatives like Drake and Kendrick. Disagree with Taylor, Bieber and Ariana take because i said before i don’t expect country or rock votes will go to Ariana and Bieber. Olivia and Billie has a better chance for rock votes than both of them and Taylor got some old country fans too. Maybe R&B votes are gonna namecheck them because they are making R&B-ish songs this year but i don’t know if R&B voters love them or not? I don’t expect Sullivan either because R&B voters already got Silk Sonic, H.E.R. and even SZA. However, this might not change my perspective but somehow enlighten me.

The problem is that we don’t know how many rap voters it takes to make someone top 8.

There’s more pop voters than rap voters (basing it on how dominant pop is in the GF + the fact that we know stuff like thank u next and Beautiful People allegedly made the top 8 for SOTY). If that’s true, all PVA nominees have an advantage over lesser populated genres like Rap or Rock. Add to that the fact that something like Positions or Evermore could get votes from R&B or Alt voters, meanwhile an album like The Off Season probably doesn’t appeal to most popheads.

I’m not saying Cole won’t or can’t happen, but he’s definitely fighting for a lower spot.

FYC - Lil Nas X

Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

The problem is you’re assuming each voter only votes for 1 album. Pop voters can go for Olivia and Billie, and also for Bieber and Ariana.

The reason why i assume this because Bieber and Ariana willing to make R&B-ish records and maybe because this turn off the pop voters. Last year Weeknd did the more pop-ish sound with After Hours record but the album and Blinding Lights didn’t get support from neither pop and R&B voters. Which is weird.

Rest in Peace MF DOOM

Rest in Peace DMX

Profile picture
    Soltseven
    Topics:

From what I understand, each voter gets to choose 5 nominees for each category, GF included. The top 8 most voted in General Field get the nom.

oh thank you!!

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Olivia debuts with 295.000 units, biggest debut of 2021 on Billboard.  If it holds more than 4 weeks no.1, it could be serious contender.

Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

The problem is that we don’t know how many rap voters it takes to make someone top 8. There’s more pop voters than rap voters (basing it on how dominant pop is in the GF + the fact that we know stuff like thank u next and Beautiful People allegedly made the top 8 for SOTY). If that’s true, all PVA nominees have an advantage over lesser populated genres like Rap or Rock. Add to that the fact that something like Positions or Evermore could get votes from R&B or Alt voters, meanwhile an album like The Off Season probably doesn’t appeal to most popheads. I’m not saying Cole won’t or can’t happen, but he’s definitely fighting for a lower spot.

I know there’s more pop voters than anything else. I’m not sure about Positions and Justice getting R&B love. Billie certainly got an alternative appeal, maybe Taylor too. I kinda see Taylor’s chances are more than Bieber and Ariana even Taylor’s album are the most forgettable from the bunch.

Rest in Peace MF DOOM

Rest in Peace DMX

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 925 total)

The topic ‘2022 Grammy Award Nomination Predictions (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.