Home Forums Music 2022 Grammy Nominees Reactions (Part 2)

2022 Grammy Nominees Reactions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 515 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
ciguanaba
Anna Artdeco
TomJerry
  • Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

Just watched the Best Music Video nominees. This category needs a panel back ASAP.

Freedom is great, nicely shot, has great costumes and has really exciting choreography. Its nomination is deserved and I hope it wins. Montero was too impactful to miss. G4U is pretty fun but I wouldn’t have personally nominated it. The rest of the nominations are garbage though.

HTE had a cool concept but the actual video is meh. Peaches is just Justin standing in front of a green screen video trying to look cool.

However, the other 2 nominations are easily the worst of this year in any category. AC/DC’s video is poorly edited and gives me a headache. IGAKOY is a nothing video. Both those nominations are such blatant lazy namechecks and I hate it.

Give Ariana DeBose an oscar

Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

also, the Lil Nas X / Post Malone comparisons are kind of fitting now considering LNX’s pop submissions were skipped over in pop but made it into the genre field.

I would like to see what would happen if LNX2 is rap album and he submit it to rap field. He scored a nomination there and not in pop. Maybe he should move to melodic rap music. He would have streams and radio support in any case.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

overall, removing the panel was a good decision imo, and i do think 10 is a ~bit~ excessive and the lineups could use a little tightening up here and there but overall it’s fine. last year showed that the panel had way too much power and say in the final noms considering only 3/8 album nominees has genre support while this year 8/10 received genre support / album noms, which is how it should be.

I think people suggested that they move to 10 nominees if they chose to remove the panels. Interesting that they did exactly that but didn’t mention anything about it.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I think the panels should be reinstated for more technical categories such as BMV, Best Engineered Album etc… But for the genre categories, I’m okay with the popular vote. I mean Right On Time is a very good song. Sure she could’ve benefited from the alphabetical advantage but its a song we widely predicted for SOTY anyway.

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

So happy for Arooj Aftab! Her album Vulture Prince was my favorite this year!

Beautiful album, never heard anything that sounds like it before!! Very happy for her. Even though I can’t understand the lyrics, the music is so delicate and full of passion.

Alright, today’s the day that I’ll familiarize myself with more of these nominees. I just listened to the Jon Batist album for the first time. It was pretty good and his talent is clear, but its also very generic. I find this album very traditional and polite (Grammy bate). It was well executed, but I didn’t really hear any fresh perspectives on melody, harmony, counterpoint, rhythm, instrumentation or lyricism. All of this is very tried and true big band pop-jazz.

Still, I’ll put this this album above many of the other AOTY noms. Better than Tony x Gaga because at least Jon’s songs are original songs. Better than Lil Nas X, and miles better than Justin Bieber.

All of the other AOTY albums I preferred over Jon’s album. Even Donda was a better album because it did have some very striking moments that only Kanye could deliver, like that gorgeous verse on Jesus Lord, even if the Donda as a whole is a directionless drag. Still, I wouldn’t be too crushed to see Jon win because I like to see songwriters and instrumentalists win. Basically I’d be fine with anyone but not Tony and not Bieber and not Taylor.

Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, how in the Avril Lavigne did Brandi Carlile’s non-hit ass get more votes than Lil Nas X in Best Pop Solo Performance?  This shit is rigged.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

What’s interesting is that, without committees, somehow the popular vote managed to steer clear of any major snubs or controversies.

Everyone managed to get nominated, Ariana, Taylor and even Ed Sheeran managed a nomination lmao…

Profile picture
    Mary
    Topics:

Although a lot of are making predictions of the winners, it might be too soon though. I was watching reactions/predictions of the Grammy Nominations last night and I think there’s a lot of artists that are being underestimated (I.e. Doja, Silk Sonic, Lil Nas X, etc.).

In the General Field, a lot of people are leaning towards Olivia and Billie, but other names can still claim victory. I definitely want to see more promotion from a lot of nominees because they have great chances to win and things can definitely switch up soon.

Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

Honey, how in the Avril Lavigne did Brandi Carlile’s non-hit ass get more votes than Lil Nas X in Best Pop Solo Performance? This shit is rigged.

Also how did Ariana positions get more votes than Bad Habits from 2x BPSP winner Ed Sheeran in BPSP that got nominated in GF for SOTY!!

Profile picture
    theexterminator
    Topics:

Honey, how in the Avril Lavigne did Brandi Carlile’s non-hit ass get more votes than Lil Nas X in Best Pop Solo Performance? This shit is rigged.

Everybody knows the reason:  💰

Profile picture
    PopGuy
    Topics:

Miss Brandi has power in the academy. She got the lesbian vote!

FYC: Grammys 2022

ALBUM: evermore, Montero, Planet Her, SOUR
    RECORD: Happier than Ever, Driver’s License, Leave the Door Open
    SONG: Driver’s License
    BNA: Olivia Rodrigo
    POP SOLO: Driver’s License
    POP ALBUM: SOUR
    POP DUO: Kiss me More
    MUSIC VIDEO: Montero, Good 4 U

Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

Not Brandi cause she got in ROTY/SOTY (x2) I would like an explanation how Ariana (positions) in BPSP beating 2x BPSP winner Ed Sheeran (Bad Habits) in a song that got nominated in GF for SOTY.

Profile picture
    Matheus
    Topics:

Do y’all think Revelacion has a chance to win Best Latin Album? I only heard Selena’s album in that category.

Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

Do y’all think Revelacion has a chance to win Best Latin Album? I only heard Selena’s album in that category.

Probably not. I wouldn’t expect her to win honestly

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

So a bit of a meta-conversation about the Grammy voters and the annual $100 membership dues. I am calling for the $100 due to be abolished.

I believe that there is a feedback loop within the Grammys that reinforces the same type of voting preferences. Artists who like the Grammys and generally approve of the Grammy nominees and winners in years past are happy to pay the $100 dues and participate in a community that they identify with. Artists that find the Grammys overly commercial and unserious would never want to give $100 to an organization that they don’t identify with or agree with. The more that these artists within a particular niche or genre feel that they are not represented in the Grammys, the less those artists will be inclined to participate in Grammy voting in future years, meaning they will have even less representation in future years.

This is how we end up with pop-jazz artists winning in the jazz categories, EDM artists winning in the electronic categories, the same dad rock bands winning in the rock categories ever year, etc. Most serious jazz musicians, for example, do not feel that their tastes are well represented, so they just don’t join the Grammys at all and don’t vote.

Anecdotally, I am friends with several professional or semi-professional musicians. I’m pretty sure none of them are Grammy voters because none of them identify with or like the type of music the Grammys nominate, and they view the Grammys as a lost cause and as overly populist.

There is also an age and class dynamic to this conversation. Young generations have less money than older generations, meaning that young artists may be more prohibited from paying the dues. People in non-commercial genres are also often “starving artists” and don’t have the money to spend on what is essentially a vanity and a networking opportunity. The average classical composer or the average member of a shoegaze band, for example, will never have as much money to spend on membership dues as a pop producer, but that doesn’t mean that their opinions on music are less valid.

Membership dues are a form of pay to play. People have diverse musical opinions and tastes, and many feel discouraged from paying to vote when they know that the music they like is very unlikely to be represented. Membership dues ensure that the same voters will continue to nominate the same stale artists year after year.

Of course, it’s completely unrealistic that the dues will ever be dropped. Just imagining an ideal world.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘2022 Grammy Nominees Reactions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.