Home Forums Music 2022 Grammys: Doja Cat

2022 Grammys: Doja Cat

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 181 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Mary
Cameron
Rich Thot

• Mary
    Topics:

Doja Cat has had an amazing 2021 and her popularity has risen drastically. With the release of collabs with SZA, Saweetie and The Weeknd, and her third studio album Planet Her, she’s one to look out for when Grammy nominations are announced in less than two weeks. I’m a big Doja Cat fan, so I wanted to start a topic on categories that she’ll possibly be nominated in and win.
    2022 Grammy Predictions – Doja Cat
    Album of the Year – Planet Her
    Record of the Year – Kiss Me More, Best Friend
    Best Pop Vocal Album – Planet Her
    Best Pop Duo/Group Performance – Kiss Me More
    Best Melodic Rap Performance – Need To Know, Best Friend
    Best Rap Performance – Need To Know, Best Friend
    Best Music Video – Kiss Me More, Best Friend
    Overall, I believe Doja Cat has a good chance this year and will take home a Grammy! If interested in my post, fill free to discuss your opinions/thoughts!

Boz
    Topics:

IDK if a whole thread on this was needed but I have her for 5 awards: AOTY, ROTY, SOTY, Pop Duo/Group Performance, and Pop Vocal Album. I think Lil Nas X will get an AOTY nomination too, so that’d be a 6th for Doja.

BMV for Best Friend could also happen.

ReplyCopy URL

24fanatic
    Topics:

Doja Cat will 100% not win any Grammys this year.

She isn’t the type of artist the Recording Academy goes for. She falls into a category of flashy Pop stars with the likes of Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj. Even when the snobby Grammys do finally award Pop artists like these, it can take a couple years of them being nominated first before it happens (Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, etc).

I also think she will underperform in nominations, most likely only scoring 3 noms:

Record of the Year – “Kiss Me More”
    Pop Duo/Group – “Kiss Me More”
    Melodic Rap Performance – “Best Friend”

She will lose ROTY to Billie, Olivia or Silk Sonic. She will lose Pop Duo to Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett or BTS. And she will lose Melodic Rap to Lil Nas X/Jack Harlow, Kanye or Drake.

ReplyCopy URL

ELIAS✨
    Topics:

Not to be pessimistic, but I still find it difficult to see how she can get in with other 6 main players (Olivia, Taylor, Ariana, Justin, Lil Nas X, Billie), all of which have great Grammy records in this category and/or have more support commercially. Not saying it could happen, but predicting Doja for PVA with bigger players sounds rough.

im betting for her in Pop Duo. She would be vote here if I voted. Kiss Me More is a phenomenal track and has the longevity, acclaim, chart position to get in.

AOTY is anybodies guess at this point. However, I think she would get in here more than Pop Vocal IMO.

ReplyCopy URL

Mary
    Topics:

IDK if a whole thread on this was needed but I have her for 5 awards: AOTY, ROTY, SOTY, Pop Duo/Group Performance, and Pop Vocal Album. I think Lil Nas X will get an AOTY nomination too, so that’d be a 6th for Doja. BMV for Best Friend could also happen.

I’m still new to Goldderby forums, so I thought it would be a fun idea to start a thread. I definitely see her getting those nominations you mentioned, but the frontrunner she’s really in is Pop Duo/Group.

ReplyCopy URL

Mary
    Topics:

Not to be pessimistic, but I still find it difficult to see how she can get in with other 6 main players (Olivia, Taylor, Ariana, Justin, Lil Nas X, Billie), all of which have great Grammy records in this category and/or have more support commercially. Not saying it could happen, but predicting Doja for PVA with bigger players sounds rough. im betting for her in Pop Duo. She would be vote here if I voted. Kiss Me More is a phenomenal track and has the longevity, acclaim, chart position to get in. AOTY is anybodies guess at this point. However, I think she would get in here more than Pop Vocal IMO.

Honestly, I see Ariana, Justin, or even Taylor being snubbed for Pop Vocal Album. I’m sure that the Academy doesn’t care about charts or anything like that, but Planet Her is currently outselling Sour, Montero, and Happier Than Ever. The album has also broken many records and is still in the top ten on BB 200. I think it has a good chance at being nominated for either BPVA or AOTY, but I’m hoping for both because it’s made a huge impact this year and probably will in 2022.

ReplyCopy URL

Mary
    Topics:

Doja Cat will 100% not win any Grammys this year. She isn’t the type of artist the Recording Academy goes for. She falls into a category of flashy Pop stars with the likes of Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj. Even when the snobby Grammys do finally award Pop artists like these, it can take a couple years of them being nominated first before it happens (Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, etc). I also think she will underperform in nominations, most likely only scoring 3 noms: Record of the Year – “Kiss Me More” Pop Duo/Group – “Kiss Me More” Melodic Rap Performance – “Best Friend” She will lose ROTY to Billie, Olivia or Silk Sonic. She will lose Pop Duo to Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett or BTS. And she will lose Melodic Rap to Lil Nas X/Jack Harlow, Kanye or Drake.

This was interesting to read and although I do agree that she’ll lose ROTY and Melodic Rap (if she’s nominated in the latter), she’s a definite frontrunner for Pop Duo/Group Performance. IGAKOOY has made no noise and I don’t see BTS winning either. I see Bennett and Gaga winning BTPVA (if it was eligible). I see Doja winning at least one award.

ReplyCopy URL

rue
    Topics:

I think she’s the current BPDGP frontrunner and I would very much like to see it. Both she and SZA deserve their Grammy’s!

Want Want by Maggie Rogers - Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Solo Performance, Best Music Video, Best Country Song, Best Melodic Rap Performance, Best Traditional R&B Performance, Best Country Solo Performance, Best Rap Solo Performance, Best Metal Performance, Best Rock Song, Best American Roots Performance

ReplyCopy URL

Mary
    Topics:

I think she’s the current BPDGP frontrunner and I would very much like to see it. Both she and SZA deserve their Grammy’s!

BOOM! And there it is!

ReplyCopy URL

ELIAS✨
    Topics:

Honestly, I see Ariana, Justin, or even Taylor being snubbed for Pop Vocal Album. I’m sure that the Academy doesn’t care about charts or anything like that, but Planet Her is currently outselling Sour, Montero, and Happier Than Ever. The album has also broken many records and is still in the top ten on BB 200. I think it has a good chance at being nominated for either BPVA or AOTY, but I’m hoping for both because it’s made a huge impact this year and probably will in 2022.

im not saying it totally matters but it’s either chart performance or  ties with the Grammys so: 

Ariana : always nominated since 2014

Taylor: always nominated since 2015

Justin: always nominated, even with his worst material

Olivia: her year, SOUR critically acclaimed, 2 #1s, several weeks number one in 200

BILLIE: current Grammy darling

Montero: I think is on the same length as Planet Her but he’s had a better record with pop voters and he had a number one hit

sure planet her is stable but it never went number one and has bigger Grammy competition with 6 bigger numbers 

ReplyCopy URL

Deemy
    Topics:

Doja Cat will 100% not win any Grammys this year.

She isn’t the type of artist the Recording Academy goes for. She falls into a category of flashy Pop stars with the likes of Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj. Even when the snobby Grammys do finally award Pop artists like these, it can take a couple years of them being nominated first before it happens (Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, etc).

I also think she will underperform in nominations, most likely only scoring 3 noms:

Record of the Year – “Kiss Me More”
    Pop Duo/Group – “Kiss Me More”
    Melodic Rap Performance – “Best Friend”

She will lose ROTY to Billie, Olivia or Silk Sonic. She will lose Pop Duo to Lady Gaga/Tony Bennett or BTS. And she will lose Melodic Rap to Lil Nas X/Jack Harlow, Kanye or Drake.

Wouldn’t consider her getting 3 competitive nominations as an underperformance but ok.

ReplyCopy URL

almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

L*cked: Kiss Me More (BPDG)
    Very likely: Kiss Me More (ROTY, SOTY)
    Could go either way but am currently predicting: Planet Her (AOTY, BPVA), Best Music Video (Best Friend)
    Could go either but am currently NOT predicting: Need To Know (Melodic Rap Perf), Montero (AOTY)
    Unlikely: Best Music Video (Kiss Me More), Need To Know (Rap Song), Best Friend (Melodic Rap Perf, Rap Song)
    No chance: Dick (Rap Perf, Rap Song), Baby I’m Jealous (ROTY, SOTY, Pop Duo/Group Perf, Best Music Video), Best Friend (ROTY, SOTY)

I agree that she’ll probably win nothing; she’ll lose BPDG to Gaga/Tony, BPVA to Olivia, AOTY to Billie and ROTY/SOTY to Silk Sonic. That being said, Kiss Me More is clearly top 2 in pop duo and absolutely above Butter.

World Cup: 🇨🇦 (b̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶🇬🇭🇰🇷🇺🇾🇦🇷)

ReplyCopy URL

Deemy
    Topics:

I have her in 6 nominations but I’m hoping she scores 4/5. At least one more than last year would be a win for her.

Record of the Year
    Song of the Year
    Pop Vocal Album
    Pop Duo/Group Performance
    Rap Song
    Music Video

In my heart I want confirm her for Album of the Year but I’m just going to wait to be “surprised” if she pulls it off. I won’t predict a win for her until I see who she’s up against.

ReplyCopy URL

aj
    Topics:

gaga x tony are not 100% locked winners for bpdgp imo. looking through the list of winners it seems voters like the summer hits and/or the songs that are currently reaching new peaks at the time of voting. Kiss Me More is tough competition and it definitely has a good chance of winning, but ofc gaga and tony are loved by the academy so I could be completely be wrong eat my words up

ReplyCopy URL

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.