Home Forums Music 2022 GRAMMYs Rap Field (Part 2)

2022 GRAMMYs Rap Field (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
naveand24
Ghost
Cameron
  • Profile picture
    Daniel Montgomery
    Topics:

Continue 🙂

Profile picture
    naveand24
    Topics:

what i think are the three frontrunners in each category:

Best Rap Performance

1. “Family Ties” – Baby Keem (with Kendrick Lamar)
    2. “m y . l i f e” – J. Cole (with 21 Savage & Morray)
    3. “Thot Shit” – Megan Thee Stallion

Best Melodic Rap Performance

1. “Hurricane” – Kanye West (feat. The Weeknd & Lil Baby)
    2. “INDUSTRY BABY” – Lil Nas X (feat. Jack Harlow)
    3. “p r i d e . i s . t h e . d e v i l” – J. Cole (with Lil Baby)

Best Rap Song

1. “Family Ties” – Baby Keem (with Kendrick Lamar)
    2. “Bath Salts” – Nas (feat. Jay-Z & Nas)
    3. “m y . l i f e” – J. Cole (with 21 Savage & Morray)

Best Rap Album

1. Donda – Kanye West
    2. Call Me If You Get Lost – Tyler, the Creator
    3. King’s Disease II – Nas

Doing this was honestly really tough because I could see a Grammy to any of these nominees (except for “Best Friend”).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

I honestly didn’t expect Best Friend to get a nomination and to make it through the TOP 5. Impressive

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

DECEMBER PREDICTIONS

Best Rap Album: DONDA — Kanye West

Best Melodic Rap Perf: WUSYANAME — Tyler, the Creator ft YBNBA & Ty Dolla $ign

Best Rap Performance: Family Ties — Kendrick Lamar ft Baby Keem

Best Rap Song: Roshwita Larisha Bacha, Hykeem Carter, Tobias Dekker, Colin Franken, Jasper Harris, Kendrick Lamar, Ronald Latour and Dominik Patrzek, songwriters (Baby Keem featuring Kendrick Lamar) for “Family Ties”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mary
    Topics:

2022 Grammys Rap Field December Predictions:

Best Rap Album: DONDA (Call Me If You Get Lost)

Best Rap Performance: Family Ties (Thot Shit)

Best Melodic Rap Performance: Need To Know (Hurricane)

Best Rap Song: Family Ties (Jail)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    naveand24
    Topics:

They could award DMX posthumously and The Weeknd to try to get his support back (even though The Weeknd is completely done with them)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

As I said in the previous thread, I think Donda is extremely beatable in Rap Album. I can see Tyler, J. Cole or Nas winning in that lineup. Drake isn’t completely out either, since his album is the most successful, but like Donda, it’s practically a panned album. I’m almost willing to predict Tyler or Nas for the upset. Both of their albums seem to have a lot of goodwill amongst rap audiences and were the least polarizing. I feel like J. Cole gets a ton of nominations but will always be the bridesmaid. It’s similar to how he got those nominations a few years ago but was only able to scoop up a win for a feature.

As for Rap Song, I’m torn between “Family Ties” and “Bath Salts.” “Family Ties” is arguably the frontrunner for Best Rap Performance, so it would make sense for it to win Best Rap Song, too. But this would be the best chance to give DMX a posthumous win. Add to the fact that this song features Jay-Z and Nas with Swizz (who has received a bunch of industry respect since last year, thanks to VERZUZ), it’s hard to bet against that combo. I think “Family Ties” wins Performance and “Bath Salts” wins Rap Song.

On to Best Melodic Rap – Kanye could easily win this with The Weeknd and Lil Baby. But I also wouldn’t count out Lil Nas X/Jack Harlow with the biggest hit in the category, or Tyler The Creator. “WUSYANAME” feels like the type of song that would surprise with the win. I’m going with “Hurricane,” but it’s not a lock.

I think it’s crazy that J. Cole has the most nominations here, but he will still likely lose everything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    naveand24
    Topics:

The Drake withdrawals doesn’t really change anyhting

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Yeah, Drake was losing anyway. He wasn’t beating “Family Ties” with “Way 2 Sexy” and his competition was steep in Best Rap Album. The fact that he missed two other rap categories while J. Cole managed to get in all four is telling.

Crazy how Drake is one of the most nominated rap artists ever, but he has only four Grammys to his name. I can’t say that he was ever truly robbed of anything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Drake wasn’t really moving the needle either way, both the album and single were weak. I was actually shocked he even submitted considering how he dissed the Grammys last year in support of The Weeknd.

The more I think about it the more I don’t see Kanye being all that much of a threat either in Best Rap Album. Of course he IS Kanye West so he can’t ever be counted out, but again, the album wasn’t good despite the massive amount of hype and drama he built up. Kanye is and always will be a marketing maestro, but he hasn’t backed it up with great MUSIC in a very long time. I can see Nas realistically repeating with Tyler being the runner up or vice versa. Nas is having an excellent late stage career resurgence and Kings Disease 2 is better than the OG Kings Disease for which he won in this category last year. Tyler has garnered a lot of acclaim and industry respect over the years and I could see him being a threat.

Kendrick won’t go home empty handed so Best Rap Performance is his and Keem’s pretty much locked up.

Jay-Z, now being the most nominated artist in Grammy history, will also not go home empty handed. So I can see Best Rap Song going to Bath Salts. This will be a triple W for the Grammys as they can finally award a true Hip Hop legend in DMX, Get Jay-Z a trophy, as well as a fellow legend in Nas.

Kanye won’t go home empty handed as Best Melodic Rap Performance will go to him and The Weeknd for Hurricane. They’ll want to start righting the wrong of last year and give The Weeknd something and Kanye will pretty much tag along lol.

Even though i’m a J.Cole fan and loved The Offseason I see this being another year where Cole goes empty handed. The Grammys will probably overlook him much like they did Nas the past 20 years and only start awarding him in 2035 or some shit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    chem_x
    Topics:

I wish J.Cole believed in campaigning. I feel like he could sneak a win somewhere if he tried, but I also understand why artists don’t bend over backwards just for a Grammy. Especially since he finally got one in recent years.

Same goes for Tyler.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Crazy how Drake is one of the most nominated rap artists ever, but he has only four Grammys to his name.

Four more than he deserves

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ELIAS✨
    Topics:

Drake realized he shouldn’t compete where he can’t compare 

2021: Promises ~ Floating Points & Pharaoh Sanders feat. The London Symphony Orchestra
    2020: After Hours ~ The Weeknd
    2019: Titanic Rising ~ Weyes Blood
    2018: Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides ~ SOPHIE
    2017: Melodrama ~ Lorde
    2016: Blonde ~ Frank Ocean
    2015: To Pimp A Butterfly ~ Kendrick Lamar
    2014: To Be Kind ~ Swans
    2013: Random Access Memories ~ Daft Punk
    2012: The Money Store ~ Death Grips
    2011: Helplessness Blues ~ Fleet Foxes
    2010: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy ~ Kanye West

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    aj
    Topics:

thot shit is all over these end of year lists, i’m starting to believe it has a good chance at Best Rap Performance

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ELIAS✨
    Topics:

thot shit is all over these end of year lists, i’m starting to believe it has a good chance at Best Rap Performance

thot shit is an amazing song. I enjoy it a lot and it’s definitely ending up on mine 

2021: Promises ~ Floating Points & Pharaoh Sanders feat. The London Symphony Orchestra
    2020: After Hours ~ The Weeknd
    2019: Titanic Rising ~ Weyes Blood
    2018: Oil of Every Pearl’s Un-Insides ~ SOPHIE
    2017: Melodrama ~ Lorde
    2016: Blonde ~ Frank Ocean
    2015: To Pimp A Butterfly ~ Kendrick Lamar
    2014: To Be Kind ~ Swans
    2013: Random Access Memories ~ Daft Punk
    2012: The Money Store ~ Death Grips
    2011: Helplessness Blues ~ Fleet Foxes
    2010: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy ~ Kanye West

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.