Home Forums Music 2022 GRAMMYs Rap Field

2022 GRAMMYs Rap Field

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 440 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
Deemy
Ziggiy
Music Forever
  • Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

I don’t see rap voters caring about that song. Masked Wolf is clearly a one hit wonder, the song is N/A in Urban radio and is pretty much only carried by Pop crowds.

Not even sure if it’ll be placed in Rap. A lot of those white rappers get placed in Pop.

FYC - Lil Nas X
    MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Perf., Best Music Video
    INDUSTRY BABY - Best Melodic Rap Perf., Best Rap Song
    MONTERO - AOTY, Best Pop Vocal Album

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

“Astronaut” is not going to be moved to pop.

Plenty of these rap records that are more popular with white audiences have had no problem getting in the rap categories in the past: “Numb,” “Thrift Shop,” “Show Goes On,” “Wild Ones,” “Nothin’ On You,” “American Boy,” “I’m on a Boat,” etc. “Fancy” would certainly have been nominated in the rap field as well had it not been re-screened in pop.

“Astronaut” is one of the biggest hits of the year and Obama’s endorsement only gives it further credibility. It’s in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Also, just taking a look at past Rap Album nominees (that weren’t committee-picked): The New Classic, R.O.O.T.S., The Heist, The Adventures of Bobby Ray, To the 5 Boroughs, any album by Nelly or Eminem. These are not albums that were driven by black audiences.

Macklemore won and Eminem is the category leader for winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

LOL “Astronaut” is not a locked Rap nominee. It could easily be placed in Pop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

LOL “Astronaut” is not a locked Rap nominee. It could easily be placed in Pop.

Keep saying it. It’s not going to happen.

Songs like “Let You Down” and “Fancy” (although I disagree with the decision on the latter) were clearly found to be pop songs that happen to feature rapping on them. “Astronaut in the Ocean” does not have a pop melody and nothing about the beat is pop.

The Grammys have made questionable decisions with moving white rappers to the pop field but this is very clearly one they can’t get away with. “Astronaut” features every hallmark of a current hip-hop hit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Get real!  “Astronaut in the Ocean” is NOT a locked nominee in Best Rap Performance.  Pure delusion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

I feel pretty comfortable leaving AITO out, though I did initially have it in.

For one, the Obama list is meaningless. He gives about 70 songs shoutouts each year. I highly doubt voters will notice or even remember that Obama enjoyed one specific song.

I do agree it’s going rap. It is clearly a rap song even if it’s an atrocious one at that. The fact is though, with it being as big as it is it should be getting some airplay on rap stations. Every example you compared it to either had that ( “Thrift Shop,” “Show Goes On,” “Wild Ones,” “Nothin’ On You”) or featured a big rapper on it (“American Boy and “Numb”). And sorry but, Masked Wolf is not Kanye or Jay-Z.

And this probably won’t matter but Masked Wolf is clearly a one hit wonder. I don’t buy that he’s got enough fans to rise above the shitty quality of the song.

Emmy award winner Julianne Nicholson

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

“Astronaut” + Masked Wolf will be a non-factor in the Rap field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I feel pretty comfortable leaving AITO out, though I did initially have it in.

For one, the Obama list is meaningless. He gives about 70 songs shoutouts each year. I highly doubt voters will notice or even remember that Obama enjoyed one specific song.

I do agree it’s going rap. It is clearly a rap song even if it’s an atrocious one at that. The fact is though, with it being as big as it is it should be getting some airplay on rap stations. Every example you compared it to either had that ( “Thrift Shop,” “Show Goes On,” “Wild Ones,” “Nothin’ On You”) or featured a big rapper on it (“American Boy and “Numb”). And sorry but, Masked Wolf is not Kanye or Jay-Z.

And this probably won’t matter but Masked Wolf is clearly a one hit wonder. I don’t buy that he’s got enough fans to rise above the shitty quality of the song.

Fair arguments but it’s nice to see someone using common sense and not just assume it will be relegated to pop because the artist is white.

However, “Wild Ones” got negligible urban play. #82 on the old airplay chart, but the current one doesn’t extend that far so that’s not really helpful when comparing it to “Astronaut.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

Assuming “Astronauts” is getting in Rap is not common sense. Give it up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

However, “Wild Ones” got negligible urban play. #82 on the old airplay chart, but the current one doesn’t extend that far so that’s not really helpful when comparing it to “Astronaut.”

Yeah, sorry about that. Got the Hot Rap Songs chart and Rap Airplay confused.

Emmy award winner Julianne Nicholson

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    HDSings
    Topics:

That Vince Staples album is really good. But I think he doesn’t make music for the Grammys so idk if he gets a nod even though this would be his best chance at one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Jack Harlow had way more industry cred, considering his big hit (bigger than AITO btw) was remixed by three very popular rappers, including a rap legend. “Astronaut in the Ocean” was remixed by G Eazy.

It also peaked at #2 on the Rap Airplay charts. It wasn’t a pop hit like AITO

FYC - Lil Nas X
    MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Perf., Best Music Video
    INDUSTRY BABY - Best Melodic Rap Perf., Best Rap Song
    MONTERO - AOTY, Best Pop Vocal Album

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 440 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.