Home Forums Music 2022 GRAMMYs Rap Field

2022 GRAMMYs Rap Field

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 458 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
Deemy
Ziggiy
Diamond Tier
  • Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

Because last time I checked his last album actually WON the Grammy

Almost like the panel blocked anyone who could have posed a slight threat for the sake of a shameless Nas setup.

Emmy award winner Julianne Nicholson

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

He didn’t? Because last time I checked his last album actually WON the Grammy and the sequel album debuted higher and was more critically acclaimed than its predecessor.

he was nominated and won because everyone else was blocked in favour of him, that cannot happen this year

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

One of the best rap projects this year never came huh? Interesting.

i never said anything about its quality, the point is that you can’t say nas will make it in over megan because good news “came and went” when in reality it was a hit album but nas did not commercially succeed

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    chem_x
    Topics:

Not only is the Nas album acclaimed, it has interesting collabs and he’s done a fair amount of interviews about it. He is absolutely in the conversation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

I feel like, at this point (without a Kendrick Lamar album drop)…

If “WAP” is submitted to Rap Performance and Song, it will easily win both awards.

I feel like for the first time in a long time there is a major disconnect between the songs being played/streamed at Rap stations/playlists and those being played at Top 40/Pop.

Even certain rap songs that made it to #1 on the Hot 100, like Polo G’a RAPSTAR… I bet most Recording Academy members have never even heard it before. The only other person who could win Rap Performance (if WAP is submitted) is Kendrick (with Keem) off the strength of his name and respect alone.

Which is why I feel Best Friend is happening in Rap if enough Pop voters vote in Rap. It did very well on Top40 as well as hitting #1 on Rhythmic radio.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

i never said anything about its quality, the point is that you can’t say nas will make it in over megan because good news “came and went” when in reality it was a hit album but nas did not commercially succeed

Standards are completely different. Nas got a top five album almost 30 years into his career, and the album has given him a ton of goodwill. Megan is literally a new artist. There have been plenty of albums that didn’t “perform commercially well,” but managed to get nods based on popular votes. You think De La Soul, The Roots, Schoolboy Q, Common, Q-Tip etc. got nods because they were popular artists with hit albums? These all precede the short-lived rap panel. A Google search is really that easy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

To me, ” came and went ” is not just the record’s chart success, it’s also about how the album in people’s minds. Megan’s album was come after the Savage’s success and i guess Body become a hit but that’s it. Nas at the other hand, he doesn’t need to make chart hits anymore. His album got great reviews, and still sells 50k, Megan sold 100k first week. Also, if the panel blocked everybody that’s threatening to Nas, voters did know this and still voted Nas. They could’ve vote Freddie Gibbs and Jay Electronica.

Couldn’t have said it better myself and anyone with a functioning brain should be able to understand this

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Megan is absolutely still relevant and way more buzzy right now than Nas lol.

Not only is the Nas album acclaimed, it has interesting collabs and he’s done a fair amount of interviews about it. He is absolutely in the conversation.

All of this applies to Megan.

Also, if the panel blocked everybody that’s threatening to Nas, voters did know this and still voted Nas. They could’ve vote Freddie Gibbs and Jay Electronica.

Because Nas was very infamously Grammy-less and he was the biggest name nominated. Freddie Gibbs is too underground for Grammy voters, DSmoke was a new artist, Royce album made 0 noise. Jay Electronica was the only one who could’ve upsetted Nas, and as I stated before, Nas has been longer in the game and was famous for having no Grammys despite this.

Megan Thee Stallion just won three Grammys over people who were both bigger and more acclaimed than her/her song, so anyone doubting her being able to squeeze a nom over an artist who most likely didn’t even make top 5 for Rap Album last year… it feels like hopedicting (ignoring the likely misogyny stemming from this).

FYC - Lil Nas X
    MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Perf., Best Music Video
    INDUSTRY BABY - Best Melodic Rap Perf., Best Rap Song
    MONTERO - AOTY, Best Pop Vocal Album

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Nas released the video for Brunch On Sunday. This could easily get into the Best Melodic Rap category

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Nas released the video for Brunch On Sunday. This could easily get into the Best Melodic Rap category

No.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

No.

Why not exactly?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

If we get Drake/Nas/Kanye/Megan/Tyler or J Cole, this’ll be an all previously nominated category. Shame, I think there was some great stuff out of the mainstream that would’ve been a great first nomination like Little Simz or Backxwash. As if they’d do that though.

My Favourite Albums

Oil Of Every Pearl's Un-Insides - SOPHIE

Hounds of Love - Kate Bush

Since I Left You - The Avalanches

Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest

Vespertine - Bjork

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 458 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.