Home Forums Music 2022 MTV Video Music Awards Discussion Part 1

2022 MTV Video Music Awards Discussion Part 1

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 589 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Goldwing
Andresg770
fabcjr
  • Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Avril Lavigne + Vanguard Award = NOT ever happening

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

Mariah Carey will probably never get the Video Vanguard. I’m convinced they don’t really like her. Weird how WBT didn’t win any VMAs.

I wonder what’s holding MTV back from awarding Gaga. Her videography is extraordinary.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

Lady Gaga has her own Tricon Award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fabcjr
    Topics:

<span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>

</span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Nicki Minaj absolutamente merece a Vanguard. </span></span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Ela trava o registro da Vevo 3 vezes! </span></span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Maior número de visualizações em 24 horas. </span></span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Ela fez rap, balada, pop, dancehall, etc. Tão feliz por ela. </span></span></span></span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>[/citar]</span></span>

This award has never been for record views or anything like that.💀

It has always been about the whole work and videography

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Goldwing
    Topics:

I’m honestly not mortified that Nicki is receiving the Vanguard (despite the personal criticisms I have of her personality). She’s already part of pop culture (I think)…. A culture that in itself is already very populist.

Hi.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Gaga was awarded the Tricon Award probably cause there was a lot of controversy at the time whether or not to keep Michael Jackson’s name attatched to the Vanguard. They tried to remove in 2019 with Missy but everybody kept using his name anyway.

Then in 2021 they bring the Global Icon award to Foo Fighters out of the EMAs who used that award before.

All of those are designed to represent “lifetime achievement” to an artist as MTV been firmly awarding since 2013. But then bringing back Vanguard out of nowhere this year now that controversy is over misses the point. Tho may be convenient for a controversial artist like Nicki.

So no, Gaga and Foo Fighters weren’t denied a Vanguard. It’s just MTV changing its rules to whatever its convenient as always.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fabcjr
    Topics:

This thing of trying to take Michael Jackson’s name away will never happen. MTV owes Michael and no one can delete his contributions. That’s why his name will always remain.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Nicki is an interesting choice. Deserved but I can think of a lot of people that should have gotten it before her though. I actually thought it would go to Mariah Carey or Green Day

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rubapop
    Topics:

I really hope Charli XCX performs ‘Hot in It’, the music video was shot recently, and they’re using the song in the VMA promos, im rooting for her, probably winning the ‘metaverse’ vma on the carpet 😛

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Goldwing
    Topics:

I think who they choose to award the Vanguard to depends on more things than artistic merit and one of them is the artist’s availability to appear on the show and what visibility they can gain.

I’ve noticed that lately the Vanguard winner is always accompanied by a “comeback” that they can promote with a performance on the show.

Rihanna: ANTI

Pink: Beautiful Trauma

Jenifer Lopez: her singles of 2018 including Dinero.

Missy Elliot: Iconology (she sang Throw It Back)

Lady Gaga: Chromatica

Foo Fighters: Medicine at Midnight

Following this pattern, it makes sense that they would pick Nicki who is about to release new music. It’s a matter of strategy after all.

I would have liked them to award Green Day too but their last album was booed even by their own fans and they are on tour 🙁

Mariah can’t sustain on the Big Energy remix alone.

Christina and Shakira if would have been my personal choices.

Hi.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Get real!  Nicki Minaj does NOT deserve the Video Vanguard Award.  There are like a hundred more deserving artists.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Ever since they came back with this award in social media times it’s been linked to a big comeback.

2011 – Briney’s Femme Fatale but also remember being very tied to her turning 30 after working so early in the industry
    2013 – Timberlake’s 20/20 Experience where he started the big medley trend for this award
    2014 – Beyoncé’s self titled and taking the industry by storm with the surprise release and visual album

Only Kanye didn’t have an album in current or imminent promotion but his personality and speeches were the big draw MT wanted (and got, hence the 2020 presidential announcement)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Also Missy I feel she only released Iconology because she received the Vanguard, she didn’t have anything planned before that and her award came after some sort of backlash the year before on her never getting it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Get real! Nicki Minaj does NOT deserve the Video Vanguard Award. There are like a hundred more deserving artists.

I think she would have gotten it eventually and if it means more eyes on the screen, even better. I may not be a huge fan of her but she does have good music videos.

Curious, who would have been your top pick?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Curious, who would have been your top pick?

Honey, MTV better stop playing in legend Xtina’s face.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 589 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.