Home Forums Music 2023 Grammy’s Best New Artist

2023 Grammy’s Best New Artist

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 630 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
14 hours ago
replies
views
users
awardsfc
fabcjr
Alm00
2023 Grammy’s Best New Artist
Anitta
Domi & JD Beck
Latto
Måneskin
Molly Tuttle
Muni Long
Omar Apollo
Samara Joy
Tobe Nwigwe
Wet Leg

• ScottyDog
    Topics:

Remember when people were predicting Gayle, Lauren Spencer-Smith, Tate McRae, Dove Cameron, Conan Grey…? Let’s remember this next year, because it happens every year. If you’re a one-hit or a mid-level hit wonder with TikTok or stan culture fame, it’s a lot harder to break through unless you have industry support and reach a broader, older audience. The name has to be known by older millennials and above, like Billie or Olivia to make it in. So next year when there’s 4-5 random pop artists that we know are more than likely just going to disappear in a year, it’s better to look at artists that are featured in NPR Tiny Desk, Pitchfork, have genre support, etc. to fill out your predictions.

ReplyCopy URL

ScottyDog
    Topics:

The biggest surprise for me is that the Grammys didn’t support Zach Bryan the way I thought they would. They usually eat up a fan favourite country artist that doesn’t have country radio support. The lack of Chris Stapleton last year in the general field and then this year no Zach Bryan is showing that traditional country doesn’t have a ton of active voters, it’s more Americana style artists that make it in the general.

ReplyCopy URL

Boz
    Topics:

just a silly question… 😉

New Artist nominees are always listed alphabethically.

this year’s offical lineup looks like this:
    4. Best New Artist
    Anitta
    Omar Apollo
    DOMi & JD Beck
    Muni Long
    Samara Joy
    Latto
    Måneskin
    Tobe Nwigwe
    Molly Tuttle
    Wet Leg
    https://www.grammy.com/news/2023-grammy-nominations-complete-winners-nominees-list

Muni Long isn’t listed by M or by L here.

in this offical article on Grammy New Artist nominees (https://www.grammy.com/news/2023-grammys-air-date-nominations-announced-65th-grammy-awards) she is listed alphabethically by M.

here, in the R&B Perf offcial lineup of nominees, she is listed by L:
    18. Best R&B Performance
    VIRGO’S GROOVE
    Beyoncé

Here With Me
    Mary J. Blige Featuring Anderson .Paak

Hrs & Hrs
    Muni Long

Over
    Lucky Daye

Hurt Me So Good
    Jazmine Sullivan
    https://www.grammy.com/news/2023-grammy-nominations-complete-winners-nominees-list

so my silly question is… M or L? 😉 @133810 Boz, you are good at it 😉 how should it be? Muni Long is a pseudonym like Doja Cat, so I thought it should be under M in alphabetical order…

She is under M. I imagine the first list was a typing mistake, but I know she’s listed under M.

ReplyCopy URL

P(oweR) Valley
    Topics:

I like that this category is all over the place. I don’t know who to predict. Latto has the most presence, but I’m not sure if the voters will take her as seriously as Megan Thee Stallion.

I know nothing about 80% of these people, so I have to do my research. Loves it!

With that being said, I’m Team Muni Long!

ReplyCopy URL

Deemy
    Topics:

I like that this category is all over the place. I don’t know who to predict. Latto has the most presence, but I’m not sure if the voters will take her as seriously as Megan Thee Stallion.

I know nothing about 80% of these people, so I have to do my research. Loves it!

With that being said, I’m Team Muni Long!

Muni, Latto and Tobe (eww) will overlap with black voters. Latto is probably the strongest of the 3 though.

ReplyCopy URL

Che
    Topics:

Rooting for Muni Long but I wouldn’t be mad if they went with Wet Leg.

ReplyCopy URL

Topics:

I don’t see it for Wet Leg. I’m going for Jazz artist Samara Joy.

ReplyCopy URL

AllyManion
    Topics:

Remember when people were predicting Gayle, Lauren Spencer-Smith, Tate McRae, Dove Cameron, Conan Grey…? Let’s remember this next year, because it happens every year. If you’re a one-hit or a mid-level hit wonder with TikTok or stan culture fame, it’s a lot harder to break through unless you have industry support and reach a broader, older audience. The name has to be known by older millennials and above, like Billie or Olivia to make it in. So next year when there’s 4-5 random pop artists that we know are more than likely just going to disappear in a year, it’s better to look at artists that are featured in NPR Tiny Desk, Pitchfork, have genre support, etc. to fill out your predictions.

agree but at the same time dove cameron won a emmy while she was in disney channel shes definilly has industry support,its just very weird that she didnt make and was completelly snubbed

ReplyCopy URL

Bridgers13
    Topics:

I think if Dove had an actual album out things could have been different. She really just had “Boyfriend” and some other singles that flopped (not counting her Disney songs). Maybe next year.
    But yeah, Zach’s snub is still crazy to me, I though he would get the Country vote and even some Americana support as well. After Chris’s AOTY miss I should have imagine Country wasn’t that strong in the GF, but at least I didn’t end up adding Zach in AOTY like I wanted lmao

ReplyCopy URL

vinny
    Topics:

I see them all winning which makes this category especially difficult to predict. Going with Maneskin but my gut says Muni

ReplyCopy URL

Darren
    Topics:

Anitta, Omar Apollo, Tobe Nwigwe, and Molly Tuttle do not have the presence needed to win.

Domi & JD Beck and Samara Joy will likely cancel each other out for the jazz vote.

Måneskin had a big hit last year (and a rock radio hit this year), but I highly doubt they’ll win after failing to be nominated last year.

Latto had a decently big hit this year that is nominated in the rap field, but I don’t think that alone will be enough to carry her to a win. She is certainly no Megan Thee Stallion in terms of having a big breakthrough year.

Wet Leg did really well in nominations, have a lot of hype, and their album was acclaimed, but indie rock usually doesn’t prevail in this category, and they’ll be competing for votes from that bloc with Måneskin.

I think Muni Long may actually win this category. She’s been working behind the scenes as a songwriter for a looooong time now, in multiple genres (pop, R&B, country), she had a big hit this year, and she’s up for BNA at the Soul Train Awards.

ReplyCopy URL

CoolSonic
    Topics:

If there were a year to award a more indie, non-mainstream artist, this should be the year. The field is a bit underwhelming and there isn’t a breakout artist in this lineup like as opposed to last years.

Personally, I would like to see Wet Leg or Omar Apollo take it. I would even say Anitta but I’ve been following her for quite some time and she isn’t remotely new.

Oscars FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once: Picture, Directing, Original Screenplay, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Editing

ReplyCopy URL

feelspecial
    Topics:

Måneskin had a big hit last year (and a rock radio hit this year), but I highly doubt they’ll win after failing to be nominated last year.

Yeah, I was wondering about their chances and they had such a bigger year last time and yet couldn’t manage to be in the top 10, it probably happened in this cycle due the lack of competition, not enough support to win.

ReplyCopy URL

Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, forgot Dove Cameron was snubbed in Best New Artist.  YAY!

ReplyCopy URL

Boz
    Topics:

You all shouldn’t dismiss Molly Tuttle so fast. She has a path. She is the only country/Americana/bluegrass act in the mix.

I highly doubt country voters know Molly, she’s likely just an American Roots thing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 630 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.