Home Forums Music AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion (Part 2)

AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Miss Americana
Meg
daniel
  • Profile picture
    theexterminator
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion: beerbongs and bentleys was a solid album and deserved its place

+1

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Dirty Computer was a great album. If I was a voter I would vote Cardi on this one though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion: beerbongs and bentleys was a solid album and deserved its place

I mean Daytona would be a better choice.

I bomb atomically.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    folklorevoodoo
    Topics:

Golden Hour is the rightful winner here.

ⓘ 𝗢𝗳𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹 𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗰𝗲𝘀 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗿𝘂𝗲.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

Childish Gambino winning SOTY and ROTY was incredible just for the record.

I really think he deserved it (although I wouldn’t have been mad with Shallow but they normally snub so many POC artists that I was happier for Childish Gamino [even though it doesn’t excuse all their other times they’ve snubbed diverse artists])

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

Also judging how Future Nostalgia and Dua Lipa turned out, I think this was a great GF line up and every artist deserved their win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    ELIAS✨
    Topics:

Personal AOTY list tho

RIP SOPHIE

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    astrorep
    Topics:

As you can tell from my username Astroworld is one of my favorite albums of all time and was snubbed (Scorpion does not deserve to be here). But I have to say I love Golden Hour even more and it would have gotten my vote even with Astroworld in the lineup

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

Kacey definitely deserved her win here. Golden Hour is a fantastic record and I say that as a guy who’s not usually a fan of country music. Janelle Monae’s album was also great and a worthy runner-up. I also loved Cardi’s album, it’s a great debut and certainly worthy of a nom here. Black Panther was a damn good soundtrack and also a worthy nominee, although Kendrick has four better albums. Brandi Carlile and H.E.R both put out good records but neither are something I’d consider for the win. Post Malone and Drake’s albums are both boring and forgettable and neither deserve nominations. And, yes, Travis Scott should’ve been nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

I like IOP the best but golden hour deserved too

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

I don’t like Sweetener, apart GIAW and some other tracks it is not good, it won a Granmy only due to TUN hype I think and I wouldn’t say it was AOTY material, but people predicted it for AOTY 2019 nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

This is what Pitchfork wrote in 2019

Album of the Year
    H.E.R. – H.E.R.
    Brandi Carlile – By the Way, I Forgive You
    Drake – Scorpion
    Various Artists – Black Panther: The Album
    Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
    Post Malone – Beerbongs & Bentleys
    Cardi B – Invasion of Privacy
    Janelle Monáe – Dirty Computer

Will Win: Golden Hour
    Should Win: Invasion of Privacy

As a decidedly mainstream award, the Grammys make the most sense when they go to works that dominated the culture at large in the previous year—and, ideally, didn’t suck. For as much fun as it was when Album of the Year went to Arcade Fire in 2011, the Grammys’ track record with less commercially successful picks has tended toward extremely belated acknowledgements (take Steely Dan in 2001, Herbie Hancock in 2008, or Beck in 2015). By that logic, Cardi B’s Invasion of Privacy—which didn’t just command the zeitgeist in 2018, but also was more thoughtfully crafted than it had any commercial imperative to be—should be a shoo-in.

Bardi would be wise not to clear off AOTY-trophy mantel space just yet, though. With eight nominees, the potential for vote-splitting is huge, and fellow rap blockbusters Scorpion and Black Panther also have legitimate claims. Dirty Computer wasn’t as good as Monáe’s previous work, but she’s overdue some serious accolades—or will her R&B-inclined voters gravitate toward the young underdog H.E.R.? The Grammys being the Grammys (and thus designed to infuriate at least some portion of viewers), rewarding the SoundCloud-era success of Post Malone isn’t even out of the question. Americana singer-songwriter Carlile’s six-nod coup is one of the year’s feel-good Grammy stories, and if she runs the table in other categories, it’ll be hard to root against her here, especially given her genre’s strength in a longer format. But Musgraves is a known quantity to Grammys voters, with two wins on several prior nominations, and Golden Hour was a real triumph of her songwriting talents (though admittedly a fairly modest country seller). Don’t be shocked if it triumphs on Grammy night, too. –Marc Hogan

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.