Home Forums Music AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 572 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Cardi B
Miss Americana
arodfan
  • Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

I think Eminem is pretty good and that is my favorite album by him but Norah did something truly remarkable so I’m going to say that she really did deserve it

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

2004, Album of the year

The nominees were:

1. Outkast – Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (WINNER)

2. The White Stripes – Elephant

3. Evanescence  – Fallen

4. Justin Timberlake – Justified

5. Missy Elliot – Under Construction

The 2004 line-up had a very diverse line-up of hip-hop, rap, pop, rock. Outkast won AOTY with the huge success of follow-up to Stankonia. Rock sensation Evanescence appeared in AOTY and the acclaimed rock duo The  White Stripes. Pop Icon Justin Timberlake and hip-hop legend Missy Elliot completed the top 5.

Some photos from 2004 Grammys:

Outkast had a big night

Beyonce, a new Grammy darling emerged after her solo debut

Christina Aguilera with her Grammy for Beautiful

Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Outkast 100% deserved AOTY and Speakerboxx/Love Below is Outkast at the absolute peak of their powers as MCs, producers, and entertainers. That album was truly undeniable.

50 Cent was ROBBED for Best New Artist that year.

Beyonce deserved every award she won that year. Her solo debut is to this day her second best album behind Lemonade

Profile picture
    theexterminator
    Topics:

Evanescence’s “Fallen” was the first metal album nominated for AOTY 🤦

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

I would’ve gone with Elephant, but Outkast were long overdue at that point. That album cover aged so badly btw 💀

Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

Norah Jones album was truly the best here ! I wished they would’ve split BNA and gave it to Avril !

Profile picture
    Michael Myers
    Topics:

Outkast #DESERVED their aoty win, it’s great to see Missy’s nomination too

Profile picture
    Cardi B
    Topics:

Get real!  Justin Timberlake is NOT a pop icon.  BARF!

Honey, Missy Elliot should’ve won.  Not mad at the OutKast win. Christina Aguilera, Stripped should’ve been nominated.

Rankings
    1. Missy Elliot, Under Construction
    2. OutKast, Speakboxxx/The Love Below
    3. Evanescence, Fallen (BARF!)
    4. The White Stripes, Elephant (BARF!)
    5. Justin Timberlake, Justified (BARF!)

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Replace Justified with Stripped or Dangerously in Love. Albums that have actually had a lasting impact & influence.

Justin Timberlake was the industry’s Pop answer to Usher. Hence why his debut was shoved down our throats and the media tried pitting the two against each other.

His album wasn’t bad but it was full of MJ rejects (literally) and songs like CMAR that tried desperately to profit off his relationship with Britney.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

I would have voted for Elephant, since it’s literally one of my favourite albums of all time, but I’m cool with the OutKast win. As for the other nominees, I enjoyed both Missy’s and Justin’s albums and I’ve never liked Evanescence that much, so I’d replace that with Get Rich or Die Tryin’.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

Elephant A-
    Speakerboxx/The Love Below A-
    Justified A-
    Under Construction B+
    Fallen B-

My personal taste favors Elephant, but would give it to Outkast since they lost for a damn great record. The Timberlake on Justified was a pop protege whose vocal ability was fast approaching Al Green territory, but now that he’s lost any bone of sincerity there’s no point to argue a case for him to win. “Work It” remains one of the greatest songs recorded this century but the album left me relatively underwhelmed. Evanescence is better than your regular goth metal trash, which just means when I listened to that record I actually wished they weren’t goth metal.

Profile picture
    Problemchild
    Topics:

India.Arie made a better, more cohesive album than Alicia Keys. That’s why she got the AOTY nod. I just wish she had at least won SOTY.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

2005, Album of the year

The nominees were:

1. Ray Charles – Genius loves company (WINNER)

2. Green Day – American Idiot

3. The Diary of Alicia Keys

4. Usher – Confessions

5. Kanye West – College Dropout

The 2005 Grammys awarded AOTY to Ray Charles for his posthumous album. The other nominees included newcomers in AOTY like Green Day and Kanye Wesr, Alicia Keys and Usher, all of these albums we a big commercial success and represented the year 2004.

Some photos from that year:

Kanye West

Alicia Keys

Gwen Stefani and Eve perfoming

Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

its a tie between Kanye West & Usher for me, also wouldn’t have minded Alicia Keys winning as Diary Of Alicia Keys remains her best most cohesive album to date.

I’d probably give the edge to Usher as Kanye went on to make better more impactful work and Confessions AT THE TIME was dare I say it, the closest an album’s come to being the “Thriller” of MY generation. Usher was SCORCHING hot. The songs were universally loved. The videos were in constant rotation. And being from Atlanta EVERY man, woman, and child was bumping that album out of their cars and CD players.

Also Just wanted to say that I miss this version of Kanye before he lost his damn mind. He was still confident and a bit cocky but he was still human and relatable. If anyone really follows Hip Hop and Kanye’s story he REALLY started from the bottom and had to overcome damn near everyone in the industry doubting that he’d make it as a rapper. His speech that year when he won best Rap Album remains one of my top 5 Grammy moments of all time. He was so swagged out, emotional, and SINCERE it was infectious.

Profile picture
    theexterminator
    Topics:

Green Day was never my cup of tea, but American Idiot should have won. That album was enormous.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 572 total)

The topic ‘AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion’ is closed to new replies.