Home Forums Music AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 572 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Cardi
Miss Americana
arodfan
  • Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Timberlake got absolutely robbed. FutureSex/LoveSounds is one of the most impactful pop records of all time and its influence can still be heard today in modern pop and R&B music.

Profile picture
    Cardi
    Topics:

Justin Timberlake + 2nd Album of the Year nomination = BARF!

Honey; Mary J. Blige, The Breakthrough should’ve won, but was snubbed.  Christina Aguilera, Back to Basics should’ve also been nominated.  🙁

From these nominees, The Chicks were deserving.

Rankings:
    1. The Chicks
    2. Gnarls Barkley
    3. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    4. John Mayer (BARF!)
    5. Justin Timberlake (BARF!)

Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Out of those albums Justin Timberlake’s had the biggest impact. I wouldn’t have minded Gnarls Barkley or John Mayor either. I feel like Mary J Blidge got snubbed for consideration.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

FutureSex/LoveSounds A-
    St. Elsewhere B+
    Continuum B+
    Taking the Long Way B
    Stadium Arcadium B-

I like the Chicks as much as the next sane person, but they’ve not recorded enough good songs to justify that love until Gaslighter. Timberlake’s makes up for what it lacked in sincerity with experimentality and some of the finest pop songs of that decade. Major snub of the year is Dylan’s Modern Times, and I would definitely take B’Day and Oral Fixations Vol. 2 over any of the non-Timberlake nominees.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Cardi
    Topics:

Get real!  FutureSex/LoveSounds did NOT produce “some of the finest pop songs of that decade.”  It was a blatant rip-off of many black artists.  Thank goodness that crap lost.  YUCK!

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    theexterminator
    Topics:

2006 was a shitty year.

I’d nominate Tool’s “10,000 days”.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Future Sex/Love Sounds is Timberfake’s best album. But I’m not mad over The Chicks sweep 🙃

MJB’s The Breakthrough was snubbed. 😒

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

Lol I’m still salty that Gwen Stefani went home empty handed . Pop Album should’ve been hers

Profile picture
    Cardi
    Topics:

Honey, Love.Angel.Music.Baby is way better than Breakaway.  I’m fine with Kelly Clarkson winning Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.  However, Best Pop Vocal Album should’ve definitely gone to Gwen Stefani.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Lol I’m still salty that Gwen Stefani went home empty handed . Pop Album should’ve been hers

Honey, Love.Angel.Music.Baby is way better than Breakaway. I’m fine with Kelly Clarkson winning Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. However, Best Pop Vocal Album should’ve definitely gone to Gwen Stefani.

Yes. The Pop Field should’ve spread the wealth to both Kelly & Gwen. “Since U Been Gone” was a better vocal performance and song. But L.A.M.B. was a much more experimental & ambitious album.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

This should’ve definitely gone to JT. Easily his best album and one of the finest pop records of the century. Gnarls Barkley’s album was also great and a worthy runner-up here. The Chicks’ album was good, but it’s no Wide Open Spaces. I never really liked John Mayer’s music and as big of an RHCP fan as I am, Stadium Arcadium was an utter disappointment.

Profile picture
    Chimbanha
    Topics:

Yes, Justin Timberlake should have won that. The album is a pop masterpiece and it’s sad that the Timbaland pop era was never acknowledged by the Grammys.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

2008, Album of the year

Herbie Hancock – River: The Jone Letters (WINNER)

Foo Fighters – Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

Vince Gill – These Days

Kanye West – Graduation

Amy Winehouse – Back to Black

The 2008 Grammys took place after Amy Winehouse had a huge worldwide success with Back to Black. The winning album of Herbie Hencock was a tribute album featuring cover songs of music written by Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell. The Joni Letters received generally positive reviews from critics and earned several accolades, including Grammy Awards for Album of the Year and Best Contemporary Jazz Album at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards. Since River received the Album of the Year award, the highest honor at the Grammys, no other act of Afro-American or black ethnicity has won it. Otrer notable nominations were Foo Fighters and Vince Gill. Kanye scored another AOTY win and Amy was the face of Grammys 2008, where she won ROTY, BNA and SOTY.

Some photos from that year:

Herbie Hancock

Beyonce and newcomers Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus

Amy Winehouse accepting Record of the Year

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 572 total)

The topic ‘AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion’ is closed to new replies.