Home Forums Music AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 572 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Cardi
Miss Americana
arodfan
  • Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Amy was robbed 🙄

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Cardi
    Topics:

Honey, Amy Winehouse should’ve won.  Kanye West was runner-up.

Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

This is the second of Kanye’s nominated albums that 100% SHOULD have won

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

I disagree here with you. Amy Winehouse was much more deserving. Kanye deserved for her previous efforts.

They were both deserving, I wouldn’t be upset if Amy won but if Amy wins then that means we’re creeping up on TWENTY YEARS that no black artist has won album of the year, which is unacceptable. Kanye took a huge leap into superstar territory with the anthemic scope of Graduation and the single Stronger. He outsold 50 Cent, which almost single-handedly changed the trajectory of Hip Hop from being “Gangsta Rap” focused to more artistic, honest, and vulnerable. Graduation and his next album 808’s & Heartbreak are the two catalysts which gave birth to artists such as Drake, Kid Cudi, Big Sean, J.Cole, and Wale. For a, by the Grammy’s standards, unacknowledged genre Graduation would have been an excellent and worthy AOTY winner

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    RichardAniston
    Topics:

Either Kanye or Amy should have won.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

I’m gonna have to disagree with everyone here. Rivers: The Joni Letters is a great record, I think it deserved.

1. River
    2. Graduation
    3. Back to Black
    4. Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
    5. These Days

Profile picture
    theexterminator
    Topics:

I never truly respected kanye as a person. I know he made good music but when i first heard his name in 2009, i was not even 9 years old. From them till now i haven’t found to reason to respect him.

I never understood his hype. I know that he’s huge in America, but here in Europe he isn’t a big seller.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

Graduation A-
    Back to Black A-
    River: The Joni Letters B+
    Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace B

Personally fine with River‘s win because not only does it give Joni Mitchell a GF trophy, it’s the most artistically courageous piece of work in the field. Kanye’s is a stepdown from his previous efforts and Winehouse’s functions best as background music. Foo Fighters tried to recapture the triumph of The Colour and the Shape and fell mediocre, and Vince Gill is too bland to endure the course of a studio album, let alone a fucking boxset. The main snub is Kala, aka greatest record of the 21st century (although M.I.A. does get her due next year with Paper Planes). Amongst the nominees that year, Neon Bible, Alright Still, and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend all stand a class above this lineup.

Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

Amy was ROBBED. There’s no other way to state it. Back to Black is one of the best and most influential albums of the 2000s and it lost to a Herbie Hancock cover album that’s one of his weaker albums in my opinion. Kanye’s album was great, although not quite on the same level as his previous 2 or MBDTF. Still, with modern classics such as “Flashing Lights” and “Stronger”, I would have totally understood why he won if he did end up taking it. I love the Foo Fighters’ music, but Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace isn’t one of their better records. I’ve actually never heard the Vince Gill record.

Profile picture
    Michael Myers
    Topics:

Amy. that’s it. that’s the post.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

2009, Album of the year

The nominees were:

Robert Plant/Alison Krauss – Raising Sand (WINNER)

Coldplay – Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends

Lil Wayne – Carter III

Ne-Yo – Year of The Gentleman

Radiohead – In Rainbows

The 2009 Grammys took place in the year Coldplay had huge success with Viva La Vida. Ciritcally acclaimed duet album of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss won AOTY. Alison as of today is the most awarded female artist of the Grammys. Other nominees included Lil Wayne, Ne-Yo and Radiohead.

Some photos from that year:

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss

I Kissed a Girl singer Katy Perry

Not so popular at the time BNA winner Adele

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Carter 3 I felt was overrated and it hasn’t aged well. Though it was THE event album of 2008, it wasn’t even better than half of the albums it went against in the Best Rap Album category (Jay-Z, Nas, Lupe Fiasco all released superior projects) so I can’t in good conscious go for that album.

Coldplay probably should have won, I remember enjoying that album, might actually be their last project that was REALLY good.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 572 total)

The topic ‘AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion’ is closed to new replies.