Home Forums Music AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 572 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Cardi
Miss Americana
arodfan
  • Profile picture
    aQuan
    Topics:

I guess Taylor winning THAT year wasn’t the worst thing that had happened.. Plus, from the poor lineup, it was simply the best. (Even though I would’ve voted The Fame)

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

I’m not sure who I think should’ve won, all the nominees are 6/10s or less and all of them aged terribly.

I will say, knowing that the next year Arcade Fire pulled an upset, I’m surprised vote splitting didn’t benefit Dave Matthews Band more than it did to actually put it over the edge. My guess is that Fearless just got votes accross the board including maybe some rock voters.

If I were to rank them I’d say:
    1. I Am Sacha Fierce
    2. The Fame
    3. Fearless
    4. The End
    5. Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King

And if I were to guess how the voting ended up, I think
    1. Fearless
    2. I Am Sacha Fierce
    3. Big Whiskey and the GooGrux King
    4. The End
    5. The Fame

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

2010 was the closest Beyoncé came to winning AOTY! 6/10. GF, Pop, & R&B awards shows she had love across the board. However, Kanye f*cked up. Had he NOT interrupted Taylor’s VMA speech, B would’ve won. I guarantee it.

BEP were also huge & safe enough to pull off a victory. But B was definitely runner-up.

My personal vote would’ve been The Fame. The rest aged horribly (with the exception of Fearless which is a deserving winner).

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Fearless and The Fame aged like a fine and others like milk. People still love the two albums, they are still charting afterall.

The production in both is incredibly dated.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Cardi
    Topics:

Get real!  Fearless and The Fame did NOT age like fine wine.  YUCK!

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Man, it was their 1st or 2nd album. They were still flourishing.

Yeah, I’m a fan of both artists. I think Gaga would eventually release her best album, The Fame Monster. As for Taylor, 1989 I think was her peak album and a classic pop record, but Folklore might be my favorite from her now.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

If P!NK ever had a shot at an AOTY nod, it might’ve been for Funhouse. That era was huge for her (especially overseas). 7 singles, 7 million sold WW, a top grossing tour, and one of the greatest GRAMMY performances of all-time.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

The END A
    The Fame A-
    Fearless A-
    I Am… Sasha Fierce B
    Big Whiskey & the GrooGrux King C

The END is simply wondrous, sampling classic rap rapaciously and cooler with auto-tune than Kanye ever was. The Fame and Fearless are definitive in their own ways, while instrumentation may age, melodies and hooks seldom do, and both records have plenty. Sasha Fierce is by a substantial margin my least favorite Bey album, most of her ballads fail and the dance disc is often all-attitude (not directed at Single Ladies). Dave Matthews Band… why. A personal favorite from that year was Brad Paisley’s American Saturday Night, which was shamefully shut out of even the genre field, a situation that I’m sure has nothing to do with the fact that it’s a pro-Obama country record.

Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

I’m fine with the Fearless win, even though it doesn’t stand out among certain albums of this era. It’s a good album that sold well and it’s in a weak lineup, so I’m personally okay with it winning. The Fame was okay, but it’s not even close to being on the level of its sequel or even Born This Way, though it does have some damn good dance-pop tracks on it. Beyoncé’s album is easily her worst and has one of the biggest embarrassments of her career in “Diva”, though there are a couple iconic tracks on it. I don’t like the Black Eyed Peas outside of a few tracks on Elephunk and this album was underwhelming outside of maybe “I Gotta Feeling”. Dave Matthews Band….why, Grammys? Just, why? Anyways, Maxwell should have gotten the nomination and easily won for an excellent album.

Profile picture
    Munchi
    Topics:

I disagree 200%. If I am to be sincere, IASF is the only album I loved among all, Fearless really don’t appeal to me and I don’t entirely love any Gaga album, but immensely enjoy many of her songs. No offence meant.

Profile picture
    Ace James
    Topics:

I don’t think this is Taylor’s best album but looking at the fact that it got decent acclaim, sold massive and had successful singles with it being in a weak line up I think this win was very deserved. I think 1989 was actually a better album than this and in any other year it would have deserved it it’s just the fact that that Kendricks album was just amazing in every way… but that’s for in a few days

Profile picture
    ELIAS🍂
    Topics:

2009 was a weak year tbh, Poker Face deserved ROTY. Taylor was the best that year for AOTY hands down, but again that year was pretty meh. This era reminds me of the power of peak Beyoncé as a kid. The Black Eye Peas wow nostalgia. This is just a nostalgia year a la 2014 where all the critically acclaimed/best selling artists gave out.

Folklore AOTY

Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

The Fame or IASF should’ve won omg

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 572 total)

The topic ‘AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion’ is closed to new replies.