Home Forums Music AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 572 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Cardi
Miss Americana
arodfan
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    TobiasBuck
    Topics:

The definitive album of the year of 2011 no doubt about that.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Looking back, i like most of these albums, but i would vote for 21, Someone Like You alone is the reason.

Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Just like if Taylor wins this year there will forever be an asterisk next to Adele in 2012 for The Grammys DELIBERATELY choosing to omit a deserving black Hip Hop artist from AOTY contention.

Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy should have been nominated in this category, PERIOD. Say what you will about the man (and TRUST me, there is plenty negative to say about him) MBDTF is his magnum opus, a masterwork if grandiose production and and even more ambitious lyric self mythologization. It was literally the BEST reviewed album of 2010. Literally NO album on that list deserved a nomination over MBDTF.

No disrespect to Adele because its not her fault but her victory was a sham win that year

Profile picture
    RichardAniston
    Topics:

Kanye should have been nominated and won.

Of the nominated albums though, Adele deserved her win.

Profile picture
    hillslight
    Topics:

Adele deserved this win. Not if Kanye was nominated though. Probably the biggest AOTY snub in the past decade

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Adele would have most likely won even if Kanye was nominated. Like she did over Lemonade for a weaker album. But he should have been nominated.

I don’t think this year is that comparable because After Hours doesn’t have the acclaim of Future Nostalgia or Folklore(assuming race is between these 2).  But ofc this year will be a question mark because they deliberately blocked him.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    lucy
    Topics:

Just like if Taylor wins this year there will forever be an asterisk next to Adele in 2012 for The Grammys DELIBERATELY choosing to omit a deserving black Hip Hop artist from AOTY contention. Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy should have been nominated in this category, PERIOD. Say what you will about the man (and TRUST me, there is plenty negative to say about him) MBDTF is his magnum opus, a masterwork if grandiose production and and even more ambitious lyric self mythologization. It was literally the BEST reviewed album of 2010. Literally NO album on that list deserved a nomination over MBDTF. No disrespect to Adele because its not her fault but her victory was a sham win that year

I definitely do not think you can compare the After Hours situation to the MBDTF one. What was really shocking about Abel’s snub was “Blinding Lights” not being nominated in any category. After Hours as an album received much less acclaim compared to both MBDTF and Folklore. I think a good amount of people could agree Folklore was a more defining album of 2020 sales, chart, acclaim, and theme wise.

If you want, I think saying “Fetch The Bolt Cutters” not being nominated is a better example of an asterisk being next to Folklore considering it is one of the most highly rated albums of all time.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Adele was obviously ahead and 100% deserved.

1. 21
    (gap)
    2. Loud
    3. Wasting Light
    4. Born This Way
    5. Doo Wops & Hooligans (hate this album with a burning passion)

As for how it ended up, my best guess is:
    1. 21
    2. Wasting Light
    3. Doo Wops & Hooligans
    4. Born This Way
    5. Loud

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Just like if Taylor wins this year there will forever be an asterisk next to Adele in 2012 for The Grammys DELIBERATELY choosing to omit a deserving black Hip Hop artist from AOTY contention.

Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy should have been nominated in this category, PERIOD. Say what you will about the man (and TRUST me, there is plenty negative to say about him) MBDTF is his magnum opus, a masterwork if grandiose production and and even more ambitious lyric self mythologization. It was literally the BEST reviewed album of 2010. Literally NO album on that list deserved a nomination over MBDTF.

No disrespect to Adele because its not her fault but her victory was a sham win that year

There will never be an “asterisk” next to Adele’s name because My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy would have never won against 21. The fact that people think ANYONE would have beaten her is crazy and hilarious. That was one of the biggest locks EVER at the Grammys, with or without Kanye.

Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

There will never be an “asterisk” next to Adele’s name because Kanye would have never won against 21. The fact that people think ANYONE would have beaten her is crazy and hilarious. That was one of the biggest locks EVER at the Grammys, with or without Kanye.

Honestly, don’t know why people would think he would’ve won. Especially with the rap album bias. Adele was unstoppable the whole 21 era.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Honestly, don’t know why people would think he would’ve won. Especially with the rap album bias. Adele was unstoppable the whole 21 era.

Right. We’ve seen what happened with Lemonade, DAMN. and To Pimp a Butterfly. Yes, Kanye was unrightfully snubbed of a nomination and deserved to win, but nothing would have changed. 21 was winning anyway you flip it. That was a career-defining album, and quite frankly, I’m sure voters pat themselves on the back for that win. It’s really the only “relevant” album from that time period now.

Profile picture
    Cardi
    Topics:

Honey; ADELE, ADELE, ADELE!  The other four nominees are crap.  BARF!

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 572 total)

The topic ‘AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion’ is closed to new replies.