Home Forums Music AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 572 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Cardi
Miss Americana
arodfan
  • Profile picture
    hillslight
    Topics:

What an amazing lineup! Any of them would be a deserving winner IMO.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Fearless-1989-Folklore?

stay tuned.

Profile picture
    XS
    Topics:

Love 1989, but To Pimp a Butterfly deserved AOTY.

BP: Nomadland
    BD: Chloé Zhao (Nomadland)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Cardi
    Topics:

Taylor Swift, 1989 + Album of the Year win = BARF!

Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

1989 album is okay but To Pimp A Butterfly is the best album of the decade so no one deserved more than Kendrick. Even Swift stans know that. Also D’Angelo snubbed for Black Messiah.

I bomb atomically.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

Kendrick was 100% ROBBED. Best album of the year, hell probably the best album of the past three years. To call it a classic doesn’t even do To Pimp A Butterfly justice, its TIMELESS. Its on par with  flawless albums such as Illmatic, Criminal Minded, It Takes A Nation Of Millions, The Blueprint, Liquid Swords. Albums that, if someone were to ask you how could Rap music be considered art, you would immediately make them sit down and listen to every single song start to finish. Its an album that encompasses what it means to be a black male in a world where “Black Male” is often synonymous with “Beast”. It is black rage, joy, triumph, tragedy, despair and hope all expressed phenomenally in 16 tracks. Its Donald Goines meets Cornel West. Langston Hughes meets Fred Hampton. Its West Coast Funk, Southern Blues, Uptown Jazz, fused with contemporary trap and hard hitting 808s. It is absolutely the album of the year and there is NO argument, debate, or discourse that will ever lead me to think the contrary.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

To Pimp a Butterfly A
    1989 A-
    Sound and Colour B+
    Beauty Behind the Madness B-
    Traveller B-

Few albums have addressed racism as boldly and effectively as To Pimp a Butterfly, and we know damn well why it lost. Taylor Swift’s Max Martin move is excellent if not as empathetic with her audience as before, Weeknd’s Max Martin move is dull. Stapleton’s old school effort is at its core as cliched as any other male-fronted country album of recent years. The biggest snub for me would have to be Courtney Barnett, the working-class poet Lorde never quite was, D’Angelo should’ve been a no-brainer as well.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

One of the strongest AOTY lineups in recent memory IMO. In any othee year any of those albums could’ve won.

1. Sound & Color
    2. To Pimp A Butterfly
    3. 1989
    4. Traveller
    5. Beauty Behind the Madness

As for how it ended up going:
    1. 1989
    2. Sound & Color
    3. To Pimp A Butterfly
    4. Traveller
    5. Beauty Behind the Madness

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I loved this lineup, but To Pimp a Butterfly, easily.

Profile picture
    caleidoscopio
    Topics:

If there were 8 slots, I think D’Angelo, Little Big Town and Mark Ronson would’ve been nominated as well.

FYC:

Record of the Year: Hit Different by SZA ft. Pharrell Williams & co.
    Song of the Year: Good Days by SZA ft. Jacob Collier

Profile picture
    TobiasBuck
    Topics:

Taylor once again competed with a Billboard year-end #1 album, that spend 24 weeks in the top2 and later became the #2 album of the decade on the Billboard chart. Diamond single SIO, Blank Space soon to follow. With 3 #1 hits and two more top10‘s. Still charting. Big successful videos and Taylor already collected loads of awards&honors in 2015. She campaigned hard for this one.

Controversial to win over Kendrick sure, but the album has at least more arguments than say Traveler won.

Profile picture
    TheFunkyDeltron
    Topics:

Taylor once again competed with a Billboard year-end #1 album, that spend 24 weeks in the top2 and later became the #2 album of the decade on the Billboard chart. Diamond single SIO, Blank Space soon to follow. With 3 #1 hits and two more top10‘s. Still charting. Big successful videos and Taylor already collected loads of awards&honors in 2015. She campaigned hard for this one. Controversial to win over Kendrick sure, but the album has at least more arguments than say Traveler won.

Selling is important to these awards which i wish it shouldn’t be important. But when a white person like Adele and Taylor Swift did make the best selling album, it’s a near lock for them winning AOTY but when a black person like Beyonce and Kendrick make the best selling album, Grammys will go for lesser selling albums like Beck and Bruno Mars.

I bomb atomically.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Umm.. Taylor rightfully won. Thats not Kendrick’s best album so I’m fine with him losing. If anyone other than Taylor shouldve won for me I PERSONALLY wouldve gave it to The Weeknd. Beauty Behind the Madness was so well crafted.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 572 total)

The topic ‘AOTY Grammy line-ups from 1984 till today discussion’ is closed to new replies.