Home Forums Music Best Pop Duo/Group Performance (2018)

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance (2018)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 180 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Os
DC95
M
Best Pop Duo/Group Performance (2018)
"Fall In Line" - Christina Aguilera & Demi Lovato
"Don't Go Breaking My Heart" - Backstreet Boys
"S Wonderful" - Tony Bennett and Diana Krall
"Shallow" - Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper
"Girls Like You" - Maroon 5 featuring Cardi B
"Say Something" - Justin Timberlake featuring Chris Stapleton
"The Middle" - Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey
  • Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

your explanation is quite silly because thinking this way Bennett should’ve been nominated every year he put the album out. it’s shocking then his collaboration with Gaga didn’t score any nom, while the track with Krall that didn’t garner any attention – did.

Two things that are silly is the fact that you didn’t know that Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga won a Grammy for their collaboration. The other thing that is silly is to call someone’s logic silly. Did you not read my statement that Tony Bennett has been nominated quite a bit since the mid 90s? I did not say that he gets nominated for every piece of music that he releases.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I think KaRol meant their submission in Pop Duo/GP in 2015 which was “Anything Goes” I think? Tony got in just because there are 7 nominees (maybe they expanded so that traditional pop can get in? since it very rarely made it in).

For Gaga collaboration, I’m pretty sure there were way more successful singles in consideration that year. But the album did get nominated and won.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Tony got in just because there are 7 nominees (maybe they expanded so that traditional pop can get in? since it very rarely made it in).

For Gaga collaboration, I’m pretty sure there were way more successful singles in consideration. But the album did get nominated and won.

Usually when there is a weird number of nominees in a straight vote, there were one or multiple ties. That’s what happened here.

ReplyCopy URL
    KaRol
    Participant
    Topics:

Not really silly. Of course, not every single by Tony Bennett will get a Grammy nomination, but his run in the pop field is pretty impressive. He’s similar to Kelly Clarkson, where they’re almost guaranteed nominations in the pop field.

Let’s take a look at Tony Bennett’s run within the Pop Duo/Group/Collaboration categories.

Best Pop Collaboration w/Vocals:
    Tony Bennett and k.d. lang – “Moonglow”
    Tony Bennett and Billie Holiday – “God Bless the Child”
    Tony Bennett and Billy Joel – “New York State of Mind”
    Tony Bennett and k.d. lang – “What a Wonderful World”
    Tony Bennett and k.d. lang – “La Vie en rose”
    Tony Bennett and Stevie Wonder – “For Once in My Life”
    Tony Bennett and Christina Aguilera – “Steppin’ Out”

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance:
    Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse – “Body and Soul”
    Tony Bennett and Diana Krall – “‘S Wonderful”

That’s nine nominations (and two wins) between the two categories. So, while I am shocked that “‘S Wonderful” is nominated here, there are precedents of Tony Bennett being nominated.

As for his collaboration with Gaga not being nominated, I chalk that up as being the year where Gaga was going through the motions commercially and critically. Not only that, the nominees that year were extremely commercial.

i do not think that we should look at him being nominated in the past in Pop Collaboration category. it was “much easier” then to get nominated with so many categories. since Pop Duo/Group & Pop Collaboration were combined he got in only for a single with Amy Winehouse that thanks to her death got the right attention & nomination in the end.

I think KaRol meant their submission in Pop Duo/GP in 2015 which was “Anything Goes” I think? Tony got in just because there are 7 nominees (maybe they expanded so that traditional pop can get in? since it very rarely made it in).

For Gaga collaboration, I’m pretty sure there were way more successful singles in consideration that year. But the album did get nominated and won.

yes:) thanks M:)

concluding, i don’t buy the logic that Tony Bennett got nominated this year just becuase he is Tony Bennett. for the last couple of years his submissions in this category were The Way You Look Tonight (with Thalia), Cheek To Cheek (with Lady Gaga), Winter Wonderland (with Lady Gaga) & last year he definetely submitted sth too but there’s no data on it, and he was not nominated. probably there were more succesful releases.
    but this year was different? Perfect, Hunger, High Hopes, Pray For Me, Don’t Matter To Me were less succesful than an unknown track that didn’t chart on BH100 or BU100 ‘S Wonderful?

the last track non-charting on BH100 or BU100 nominated here was Dearest by Black Keys. so that does not happen here often.

p.s. i didn’t mean to offend anyone with a word “silly”.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  KaRol.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure there were many pop collaborations they could have chosen from over the Tony Bennett once, but he was the perennial nominee. I brought up Best Pop Collaboration because it is a variant of the current Pop Duo/Group Performance.

How exactly would you explain the Tony Bennett inclusion? It’s really not that far fetched that he made it in. The only shocking snub in Pop Duo/Group was “Perfect Duet” and the truly shocking inclusion was Backstreet Boys, but our predictions were not all agreeable, which means that the race was more open than we thought.

ReplyCopy URL
    KaRol
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure there were many pop collaborations they could have chosen from over the Tony Bennett once, but he was the perennial nominee. I brought up Best Pop Collaboration because it is a variant of the current Pop Duo/Group Performance.

How exactly would you explain the Tony Bennett inclusion? It’s really not that far fetched that he made it in. The only shocking snub in Pop Duo/Group was “Perfect Duet” and the truly shocking inclusion was Backstreet Boys, but our predictions were not all agreeable, which means that the race was more open than we thought.

i do not think this year’s race in this category was more open than the previous years (i searched the forum, and if predictions are any indication in your opinion, then this year wasn’t more open).
    some ppl say that Bennett’s performance on Jimmy Fallon helped, along with massive promo on the Grammy members website & changes in voting system (i guess online voting & membership change is meant here)…

and come on, if BSB inclusion is shocking, then Aguilera’s must be as well. but at least those songs charted on BH100 or BU100. Bennett’s track did not and the last & only track non-charting on BH100 or BU100 nominated here was Dearest by Black Keys. so that does not happen here often since the combination of Pop Collaboration, Pop Group & Pop Instrumental into one more competitive category.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  KaRol.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

and come on, if BSB inclusion is shocking, then Aguilera’s must be as well.

Christina Aguilera has been nominated for Best Pop Duo/Group (forget about the older versions of the category) twice with “Moves Like Jagger” and “Say Something,” and she won for the latter. The Backstreet Boys haven’t been nominated for a Grammy since the early 2000s. Her nomination makes more sense.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

“Moves Like Jagger” and “Say Something” were hits, though.

There’s a likely reason why “Fall in Line” got in that doesn’t need to be mentioned (hint: nothing to do with Aguilera), but this was not a wide-open race. “Pray for Me,” “Perfect,” “Hunger,” “Africa,” “Happier,” “High Hopes,” “Youngblood,” and “Psycho,” among others, were more typical contenders that were passed over.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

The point is, Christina Aguilera has been nominated more recently than Backstreet Boys. That’s why I think “Fall in Line” makes more sense than that Backstreet Boys song. Never said FIL wasn’t an odd choice, but it was a lot more realistic choice than a song by a group whose last nomination was over 15 years ago…

The fact that you named EIGHT non-nominated tracks we thought to be strong contenders means that the race was wide open.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

“Moves Like Jagger” and “Say Something” were hits, though. There’s a likely reason why “Fall in Line” got in that doesn’t need to be mentioned (hint: nothing to do with Aguilera), but this was not a wide-open race. “Pray for Me,” “Perfect,” “Hunger,” “Africa,” “Happier,” “High Hopes,” “Youngblood,” and “Psycho,” among others, were more typical contenders that were passed over.

???? What reason is that?

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Bennett getting nominated is not shocking (to me), but Backstreet Boys getting nominated is shocking. I was expecting Africa by Weezer to get nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

???? What reason is that?

The Demi Lovato/attempted suicide thing, but I don’t see how that would have a major effect on a field like this one. I say it has more to do with Tony Bennett and Christina Aguilera being perennial nominees and past winners in this category and the fact that some of the tracks that were thought to be contenders split a lot of the votes because they weren’t truly strong.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

The Demi Lovato/suicide thing, but I don’t see how that would have a major effect on a field like this one.

It wouldn’t, because Demi submitted “Sober” to Pop Solo, a much weaker category this time, and still didn’t get in.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

It wouldn’t, because Demi submitted “Sober” to Pop Solo, a much weaker category this time, and still didn’t get in.

Right. I think it has more to do with Christina and Tony Bennett being perennial nominees and past winners in this category. I don’t think that other suggestion had much to do with it. Plus, none of those other aforementioned non-nominated tracks were widespread predictions like “Girls Like You,” “The Middle” and “Shallow.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Os
    Participant
    Topics:

Or maybe, just maybe, they *liked* Don’t Go Breaking My Heart and got tired of Perfect.

Voters are people too.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 180 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.