Home Forums Music Early predictions for Best original song Oscar 2022

Early predictions for Best original song Oscar 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 191 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Donnna
braydenfitzsi..
RBBrittain
  • Profile picture
    John Richards
    Topics:

Any chance that Saleka Shyamalan makes a surprise appearance on the shortlist for “Remain,” her song from Old?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Richards
    Topics:

Also, is there a good source to find a list of original songs for movies, not necessarily Oscar contenders? Also, not a list of songs in movies, because LOTS aren’t written specifically for the movie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

Am I the only one who didn’t care for Jennifer Hudson’s song from Respect? There is no way that is winning in my opinion. And it’s no where near as good as the other songs from acting and song double nominees like Mighty River by Mary J Blidge and Stand Up by Cynthia Erivo.

And Respect in general is slowly becoming an afterthought. It bombed at the box office and no one is viewing Hudson as a frontrunner for actress. There is a huge possibility that she won’t even be nominated. Because we have the festival frontrunners like Kristen Stewart in Spencer and Penelope Cruz in Parallel Mothers and Jessica Chastain in The Eyes of Tammy Faye and possible late breakers like Nicole Kidman in Being the Ricardos and Cate Blanchett in Nightmare Alley and even Lady Gaga in House of Gucci all have a better chance of getting nominated than her. So if she doesn’t get actress, she’s definitely not getting song. There is even a good chance that she can get actress but get snubbed in song a la Andra Day for The United States vs. Billie Holiday.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

My current predictions

Best Original Song

1. No Time To Die – Hans Zimmer, Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell (No Time To Die)

2. Colombia, Mi Encanto – Lin-Manuel Miranda (Encanto)

3. Here I Am – Jennifer Hudson, Carole King, Jamie Hartman and will.i.am (Respect)

4. Be Alive – Beyonce Knowles and Darius Scott (King Richard)

5. Anonymous One – Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (Dear Evan Hansen)

The only possible upset in my opinion is if Van Morrison does something brilliant for Belfast.

Cyrano, Don’t Look Up and Shang-Chi aren’t happening in this category in my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

And also. Is Hans Zimmer a composer on No Time To Die or not? I’m confused.

Imagine Zimmer winning two oscars next year, Best Original Score for Dune and Best Original Song for No Time To Die. After literally decades of Oscar drought, that would be amazing for him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Richards
    Topics:

Yes, Zimmer is composer for NTTD. But will he be eligible for original song as a writer?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vincent Figueroa
    Topics:

So May We Start- Annette

We love each other- Annette

People are amazing to name songs for this category that we haven’t even heard yet. In this forum I have noticed that there are too many producers.It is very disgusting to see people so groveling.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Richie Rich
    Topics:

Yes, Zimmer is composer for NTTD. But will he be eligible for original song as a writer?

I know he is composing the score for the movie. But I was asking if he is also composing the music for the song. Remember that Best Original Song nominees are usually credited as music by X and lyrics by Y. I think I heard somewhere a long time ago that he was composing the music for the song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Richards
    Topics:

My point exactly. He composed orchestra arrangements for the song, but I’m not sure that is enough to be eligible. We’ll see eventually, I suppose

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Are any of the songs on the Tammy Faye soundtrack originals?

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

My point exactly. He composed orchestra arrangements for the song, but I’m not sure that is enough to be eligible. We’ll see eventually, I suppose

Every lyrics source I could find, including Apple Music, Google, Wikipedia & commercial lyrics sites, credits Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas O’Connell as the only songwriters; arrangements alone won’t qualify Zimmer for BOS. Same for Stephen Lipson who co-produced it with Finneas. As Billie & Finneas usually write as a team, the nomination will likely read “Music and Lyrics by Billie Eilish O’Connell & Finneas O’Connell”. Edit: The official sheet music as published by Hal Leonard does indeed say that. https://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/en-US/se/ID_No/448170/Product.aspx?currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp448170&sc_intid=448170&gclid=CjwKCAjw4qCKBhAVEiwAkTYsPGPG1P3GNHMGTl6Wft6BfpEQXUvRLwBRGSeQRfmfELat5jIfo3HJdxoCn2oQAvD_BwE

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

Are any of the songs on the Tammy Faye soundtrack originals?

AFAICT none of its songs are original to the movie, only the snippet from its score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

My current predictions

Best Original Song

1. No Time To Die – Hans Zimmer, Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell (No Time To Die)

2. Colombia, Mi Encanto – Lin-Manuel Miranda (Encanto)

3. Here I Am – Jennifer Hudson, Carole King, Jamie Hartman and will.i.am (Respect)

4. Be Alive – Beyonce Knowles and Darius Scott (King Richard)

5. Anonymous One – Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (Dear Evan Hansen)

The only possible upset in my opinion is if Van Morrison does something brilliant for Belfast.

Cyrano, Don’t Look Up and Shang-Chi aren’t happening in this category in my opinion.

As good a list as I’ve seen so far, except neither Zimmer (mere arranger) nor will.i.am (mere producer) are eligible. Also, the lyrics to “The Anonymous Ones” also list in-film performer Amandla Stenberg as a co-writer with Pasek & Paul — but strangely not popular version performer SZA even though she’s an Oscar-nominated songwriter in her own right. Still waiting to see if Lady Gaga & Diane Warren have anything up their sleeves.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

Lin-Manuel Miranda for his EGOT!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

What may be most ironic is that arguably the best use of a song in a film this year is ineligible for BOS because both the song, and even the particular cover version used in the film, weren’t original to the film: The opening credits of Black Widow were accompanied by a 2015 cover version by Think Up Anger featuring Malia J of the Nirvana classic “Smells Like Teen Spirit”. The whole credit sequence, both music and visuals, IMO sums up perfectly the emotions of Natasha & Yelena being ripped from their seemingly idyllic sleeper cell “home” in 1990’s Ohio — and each other — and being forced to train in the Red Room as Black Widow assassins. Very different from your typical MCU opening, and very effective IMO; familiar song, but this cover sets a drastically different tone for the rest of the film.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.