Home Forums Music Early predictions for Best original song Oscar 2022

Early predictions for Best original song Oscar 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 341 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
21 mins ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Donnna
braydenfitzsi..
RBBrittain
  • Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

queen diane warren

FYC: Memoria and House of Gucci for Best Picture

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    na digga
    Topics:

I’m a huge Lauryn Hill fan so I hope they campaign for her song from ‘The Harder They Fall’ to get a nomination. H.E.R. Is basically her musical daughter and won last year. So if the song is good I think she’ll have a good shot. Adult R&b artist tend to do good here. H.E.R., John legend/Common, Mary J Blige(nominated) etc

It would also be interesting if Jay Z got in for his song from the same movie along with Beyoncé. That would definitely be a good press story for the Oscars.

Jennifer Hudson can secure a nomination if she focuses her campaign on this song instead of her role imo.

Billie could get in but it’ll be purely based on who she is. The song doesn’t really have buzz anymore however if she starts performing it or campaigning I could still see her going all the way.

Grammys FYC:

Normani ft Cardi B - Wild Side (ROTY, Best Music Video, R&B Song/Performance)

Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales(R&B Album)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

No Time to Die is doing pretty well chart wise considering; it’s 18 months; she has another older track resurgening thanks to TikTok and is focusing on her album’s title track as a single right now

Spotify:
    #41 United Kingdom
    #48 Czech Republic
    #56 Estonia
    #67 Switzerland
    #86 Ireland
    #88 Finland
    #88 Slovakia
    #94 Denmark
    #97 Norway
    #100 Hong Kong
    #130 Hungary
    #134 Portugal
    #138 Greece
    #163 Belgium
    #171 Austria
    #180 Germany

Apple Music:
    #18 Czech Republic
    #19 Finland
    #20 Lebanon
    #30 Oman
    #31 Slovakia
    #33 Denmark
    #34 Greece
    #36 Luxembourg
    #39 Cyprus
    #42 Ireland
    #42 Norway
    #42 Switzerland
    #45 United Kingdom
    #45 Sweden
    #46 Egypt
    #48 Bulgaria
    #49 Poland
    #59 Hungary
    #63 Germany
    #64 Austria
    #66 Slovenia
    #71 Portugal
    #73 United Arab Emirates
    #75 Netherlands
    #85 Romania
    #85 Singapore
    #87 Lithuania
    #88 Malta
    #91 Estonia
    #91 Macau
    #92 Hong Kong
    #107 Belgium
    #110 Mongolia
    #115 Bahrain
    #122 Jordan
    #122 Saudi Arabia
    #122 Ukraine
    #126 India
    #126 Taiwan
    #172 Indonesia
    #179 Latvia
    #186 South Korea

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jpfinna
    Topics:

Variety is now ranking Jay Z & Kid Cudi’s “Guns Go Bang” from The Harder They Fall as the number 1 pick to win Best Original Song following the movies premiere in London yesterday. I think it’s rank will move down after the initial hype of the premiere plus they are trying to push a ratings narrative of Beyoncé vs Jay Z…. I think Be Alive will get a big boost next week after it’s London premiere. Looking forward to seeing the Carter’s perform at the show next year either way!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PopGuy
    Topics:

Are the HAIM girls gonna have a song for Licorice Pizza?

FYC: Grammys 2022

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
    evermore - Taylor Swift
    SOUR - Olivia Rodrigo
    El Último Tour Del Mundo - Bad Bunny
    Starting Over - Chris Stapleton
    positions - Ariana Grande
    Daddy’s Home - St Vincent

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

I’m a huge Lauryn Hill fan so I hope they campaign for her song from ‘The Harder They Fall’ to get a nomination. H.E.R. Is basically her musical daughter and won last year. So if the song is good I think she’ll have a good shot. Adult R&b artist tend to do good here. H.E.R., John legend/Common, Mary J Blige(nominated) etc

It would also be interesting if Jay Z got in for his song from the same movie along with Beyoncé. That would definitely be a good press story for the Oscars.

Jennifer Hudson can secure a nomination if she focuses her campaign on this song instead of her role imo.

Billie could get in but it’ll be purely based on who she is. The song doesn’t really have buzz anymore however if she starts performing it or campaigning I could still see her going all the way.

Lauryn: It depends on whether or not the song is truly original. Her song from Queen & Slim proved ineligible due to YouTube videos of her performing it a decade before; the Music Branch replaced “released” in the traditional formulation of the BOS originality rule (which I’ve cited often in explaining why “Falling Slowly” not only was eligible to win but STILL would be eligible today, despite Glen Hansard’s other recordings of it & Wikipedia claims that the rule was changed afterwards) with broader language aimed more at YouTube & similar releases than what happened to “Falling Slowly”. (Edit: The correct “Falling Slowly” fix would have been to modify the “recorded for use in the film” side of the rule which remains unchanged, NOT the “released” side; it was eligible because it was written & recorded for Once years before the other recordings.) Given how Ms. Hill has withdrawn herself from the music industry in the two decades-plus since her still-brilliant solo debut album, I wouldn’t be surprised if her contribution to The Harder They Fall is similar.

Jay Z & Billie: More or less agree with the posts right after you on those, though the presence of Mr. Carter in the race might just be this year’s excuse for the Music Branch to snub Mrs. Carter yet again. Still think NTTD is the song to beat, and will remain so unless there’s a surprise. (Lady Gaga still hasn’t hinted anything about a song for House of Gucci, but that may have been out of respect for her working with Tony Bennett on his final album; IMO Ridley Scott ignoring that opportunity would be even worse than if James Horner had NOT defied James Cameron’s original “no pop song” directive for Titanic.)

JHud: I disagree because I think the Music Branch will be swayed more by Carole King’s work on “Here I Am”, a la Bernie Taupin (though King won’t have the Globes to help her like Taupin did), than JHud’s. (Edit: King, like Taupin, is a legendary songwriter whose mere role in writing the song is extremely relevant to the music biopic it was written for. Besides, the Music Branch has always been more partial to songwriters than singers; see Beyoncé’s multiple snubs likely due to insider belief that her songwriting credits are merely for show, whether true or not.) For JHud herself, BOS will remain secondary to Best Actress unless & until she gets the BOS nom, preferably dual noms.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    honestopinion
    Topics:

Billie will fight for her win. She’s collecting all huge awards and wants to have oscar in her bag. She’s the youngest to headline glastonbury, the youngest to snatch general field of the grammys, wins roty 2 times in the row, won a grammy for no time to die + only oscar left for being “the coolest”.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

Billie will fight for her win. She’s collecting all huge awards and wants to have oscar in her bag. She’s the youngest to headline glastonbury, the youngest to snatch general field of the grammys, wins roty 2 times in the row, won a grammy for no time to die + only oscar left for being “the coolest”.

Not to mention she’s the youngest ever to write OR perform a Bond theme. Or that the only two people before her to win all four General Field Grammys EVER — Christopher Cross, like Billie, won all four in one night; Adele won BNA for her first album and the rest for her second AND third albums — topped that sweep with the BOS Oscar (and in Adele’s case, like Billie’s would be, for a Bond theme).

Or, as I suggested earlier, that the biggest critical rub against NTTD — that it sounds too much like “Skyfall” — is actually a backhanded compliment considering Billie doesn’t have Adele’s vocal chops. That’s something the Music Branch will likely see as a testament to her & Finneas’ songwriting skills, which is what BOS is officially all about.

Let’s not also forget Finneas was the top overall Grammy winner the night Billie swept; he shared in four of his sister’s five Grammys (all but BNA which goes solely to the artist), including SOTY (a songwriter’s award just like BOS), plus two more Grammys for engineering & producing her album. Thanks to NTTD’s delay, they won the equivalent Grammy (Best Song Written for Visual Media, though it often disagrees with BOS) a whole year BEFORE they could compete at the Oscars; it’s more like to agree with BOS if at all a year later, not earlier. And as NTTD’s co-writer, he would also share in her Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

We all know Billie is going to (rightfully) campaign her ass off, but I found something else that might benefit her:

The Grammys will be held one day before Oscar nominations voting ends. So if Billie ends up winning big at the Grammys (which is a strong possibility) she will have the attention of nearly everyone in the Music Branch as they cast their last minute votes the next day…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

Variety’s latest update of the BOS race as of October 7:
    https://variety.com/feature/2022-oscars-best-original-song-predictions-1235072003/ (My past criticisms remain valid.)

PREDICTIONS
    1. The Harder They Fall
    “Guns Go Bang”
    Kid Cudi, Jay-Z, Jeymes Samuel

2. King Richard
    “Be Alive”
    Beyonce Knowles-Carter, Darius Scott

3. Cyrano
    “Every Letter”
    Matt Berninger, Carin Besser, Aaron Dessner, Bryce Dessner

4. No Time to Die
    “No Time to Die”
    Billie Eilish, Finneas O’Connell

5. Annette
    “So May We Start”
    Ron Mael, Russell Mael

NEXT IN LINE
    6. Belfast
    “Down to Joy”
    Van Morrison

7. Respect
    “Here I Am (Singing My Way Home)”
    Jamie Alexander Hartman, Jennifer Hudson, Carole King

8. CODA
    “Beyond the Shore”
    Nicholai Baxter, Matt Dahan, Sian Heder, Marius de Vries

9. Four Good Days
    “Somehow You Do”
    Diane Warren

10. In the Heights
    “Home All Summer”
    Lin-Manuel Miranda

OTHER TOP-TIER CONTENDERS
    11. Dear Evan Hansen
    “The Anonymous Ones”
    Benj Pasek, Justin Paul, Amandla Stenberg

12. The Harder They Fall
    “The Harder They Fall”
    Jay-Z, Jeymes Samuel

13. Cinderella
    “Million to One”
    Camila Cabello, Scott Harris

14. The Rescue
    “Believe”
    Aloe Blacc, Daniel Pemberton

15. Flag Day
    “My Father’s Daughter”
    Glen Hansard, Cat Power, Eddie Vedder

UNRANKED LISTING
    Bruised
    To be announced
    To be announced

Changing the Game
    “Chasing Dreams”
    Goze, Tyler Strickland

Cruella
    “Call Me Cruella”
    Florence + the Machine

Cyrano
    To be announced
    Matt Berninger, Aaron Dessner, Bryce Dessner

Don’t Look Up
    To be announced
    To be announced

Encanto
    “Colombia, Mi Encanto”
    Lin-Manuel Miranda

Mary J. Blige’s My Life
    “Hourglass”
    Mary J. Blige

Munich: The Edge of War
    “Tu Draumst [To Dream]”
    Tara Nome Doyle, Isobel Waller-Bridge

Raya and the Last Dragon
    “Lead the Way”
    Jhene Aiko, James Newton Howard

Rebel Hearts
    “Secret Sister”
    Rufus Wainwright

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
    “Fire in the Sky”
    Anderson .Paak

Space Jam: A New Legacy
    “Just for Me”
    SZA, Saint JHN

Space Jam: A New Legacy
    “We Win”
    Kirk Franklin, Dominique ‘Lil Baby’ Jones, Cynthia Nunn, Justin Gregory Smith

Spirit: Untamed
    “Fearless”
    Amie Doherty

The Automat
    “At the Automat”
    Mel Brooks

The Green Knight
    “Blome Swete Lilie Flour”
    Daniel Hart

The Mitchells vs. the Machines
    “On my Way”
    Alexandra Lahey, Sophie Louise Payten, Gabriel Strum

The Mustangs: America’s Wild Horses
    “Never Gonna Tame You”
    Diane Warren

The Starling
    “Isabelle Flies”
    Jeremiah Fraites, Wesley Schultz

Vivo
    “Inside Your Heart”
    Lin-Manuel Miranda

Vivo
    “Keep the Beat”
    Lin-Manuel Miranda

Vivo
    “My Own Drum”
    Missy Elliott, Lin-Manuel Miranda

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

We all know Billie is going to (rightfully) campaign her ass off, but I found something else that might benefit her:

The Grammys will be held one day before Oscar nominations voting ends. So if Billie ends up winning big at the Grammys (which is a strong possibility) she will have the attention of nearly everyone in the Music Branch as they cast their last minute votes the next day…

So will JHud, and she has help from new NARAS CEO Harvey Mason Jr., who’s produced her ever since Dreamgirls and is an executive producer of Respect. Indeed, I wouldn’t be surprised if he opens the Grammys with JHud singing “Nessun Dorma” (a la Aretha’s famous Grammy fill-in for Pavarotti) followed by “Here I Am”. JHud has already sung “Nessun Dorma” recently at the Apollo, at the We Love NYC concert before it was rained out, and even on a trip to Italy.

If that’s too much favoritism, he might just recreate the Three Tenors singing “Nessun Dorma” with three divas: JHud as Pavarotti, Beyoncé (or Lady Gaga if she gets in, as I originally thought it) as Domingo, Billie as Carreras. I’ve watched two different Three Tenors performances of “Nessun Dorma”, and I think it just might work.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    na digga
    Topics:

Jennifer Hudson is paying tribute to Carole King at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony with a performance. This could be a huge boost for them.

Grammys FYC:

Normani ft Cardi B - Wild Side (ROTY, Best Music Video, R&B Song/Performance)

Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales(R&B Album)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    xohours
    Topics:

Diane Warren is not missing, the Academy will snub someone just to throw her the nom

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hildreth
    Topics:

Diane Warren is not missing, the Academy will snub someone just to throw her the nom

for what song from what piece of media?

FYC - Adrianne Lenker | Wolf Alice | Indigo de Souza

My stats are updated every day. Compare your spotify listening with me at musictaste.space (code: honest-yam-896)!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

for what song from what piece of media?

She has scored the most random nominations. I remember she even was nominated for a Rita Ora song

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 341 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.