Home Forums Music Early predictions for Best original song Oscar 2022

Early predictions for Best original song Oscar 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 309 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
Donnna
braydenfitzsi..
RBBrittain
  • Profile picture
    CheChe70
    Topics:

Wouldn’t Beyoncé’s writing cred be seen as more obviously legitimate by the Academy since there are only 2 writers on the song? Songs have won which many more songwriters

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    theexterminator
    Topics:

Is Ghost’s “Hunter’s moon” (Halloween Kills) eligible?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

New trailer for King Richard features “Be Alive”:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    xohours
    Topics:

Four Good Days “Somehow You Do”

Four Good Days

“Somehow You Do”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lorenzo Dillard
    Topics:

If “Be Alive” proves to be a memorable & noteworthy song, Beyoncé could win. It’s puzzling how she’s managed to score 0 nominations despite her extensive history with notable soundtrack singles. The “Listen” songwriting snub felt very intentional. She’s also one of the most beloved artists of all-time so I could see voters wanting to reward her. Especially for a film like King Richard which apparently is great based on early buzz.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

If “Be Alive” proves to be a memorable & noteworthy song, Beyoncé could win.

Reactions from LFF compared it to Freedom in terms of what other Bey song it closely resembles.

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jpfinna
    Topics:

It seems like Be Alive is getting a big push. The song had its own credit line in the official trailer for the film. It’s gotta at least nail down a nomination at this point

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Davidson1
    Topics:

I’m really hoping that we get an astounding music video, a couple of live performances on late-night shows, a few interviews, and the extremely positive reviews from the film to push Beyoncé over the top – but we’ll see how this goes! Buzz is occurring at the right time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

Wouldn’t Beyoncé’s writing cred be seen as more obviously legitimate by the Academy since there are only 2 writers on the song? Songs have won which many more songwriters

That would be a positive as far as Queen Bey finally getting a nom this time, as the scuttlebutt has been that she forces other writers to give her a co-writing credit for minor work such as arranging; it’s harder to claim that if there’s only one other writer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

If “Be Alive” proves to be a memorable & noteworthy song, Beyoncé could win. It’s puzzling how she’s managed to score 0 nominations despite her extensive history with notable soundtrack singles. The “Listen” songwriting snub felt very intentional. She’s also one of the most beloved artists of all-time so I could see voters wanting to reward her. Especially for a film like King Richard which apparently is great based on early buzz.

The problem with “Listen” was there was a hard three-writer limit in the BOS rules at that time; I’m not sure where the decision was made, but it was made to dump Beyoncé from the nomination instead of original musical composer Henry Krieger (who also shared in the other two BOS noms from Dreamgirls). The other two nominees, Scott Cutler & Anne Preven, did most of the actual writing. Now, the limit is four writers (“Shallow” pushed that limit), with a “group nomination” option (single nom for the group) now available for larger bands who write their own material as a group, the original target of the three-writer limit (imposed after all the members of Counting Crows were individually nommed for “Accidentally in Love” from Shrek 2).

Edit: It also helps Beyoncé this time that King Richard is contending for other major awards as well. The tendency of the Academy to favor above-the-line contenders in below-the-line categories has creeped into BOS in recent years, even more so than in Dreamgirls‘ day; I’m not sure Sufjan Stevens would have been nommed if Call Me By Your Name hadn’t been a contender in bigger categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    RBBrittain
    Topics:

Four Good Days

“Somehow You Do”

I assume you meant to reply to the question as to which Diane Warren song is almost certain to be nommed, even if it means snubbing someone else. I agree 100%; the Music Branch certainly loves her even if the general Academy membership doesn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I still think Beyoncé is going to take this in the end.

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Davidson1
    Topics:

Agreed!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lorenzo Dillard
    Topics:

The problem with “Listen” was there was a hard three-writer limit in the BOS rules at that time; I’m not sure where the decision was made, but it was made to dump Beyoncé from the nomination instead of original musical composer Henry Krieger (who also shared in the other two BOS noms from Dreamgirls). The other two nominees, Scott Cutler & Anne Preven, did most of the actual writing. Now, the limit is four writers (“Shallow” pushed that limit), with a “group nomination” option (single nom for the group) now available for larger bands who write their own material as a group, the original target of the three-writer limit (imposed after all the members of Counting Crows were individually nommed for “Accidentally in Love” from Shrek 2).

Edit: It also helps Beyoncé this time that King Richard is contending for other major awards as well. The tendency of the Academy to favor above-the-line contenders in below-the-line categories has creeped into BOS in recent years, even more so than in Dreamgirls‘ day; I’m not sure Sufjan Stevens would have been nommed if Call Me By Your Name hadn’t been a contender in bigger categories.

Wow. That really sucks that they did that to Beyoncé. I know she has had controversy in the past about how much she actually writes. But still a nomination for “Listen” would’ve been a good look for both her and the Oscars. I’m glad they changed the rules. And I agree that King Richard will likely be a big contender especially in Best Picture and Best Actor for Will Smith. So that love could trickle down into Best Original Song. Beyoncé has a better shot than usual. I’m crossing my fingers for her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    na digga
    Topics:

So the Lauryn Hill song is indeed a new song and it was composed by her and another producer. Based off of the tweet that Roc Nation made I’m assuming it will be pushed. The snippet also sounds amazing. The only thing hindering it is that Lauryn is very reclusive and has been for a very long time and I doubt that she’ll play the game or campaign. But I do think she’s in the race now, even if she’s just in the top 15 so far, and if Netflix plays their cards right, I think she and/or JAY-Z will get the nom.

Grammys FYC:

Normani ft Cardi B - Wild Side (ROTY, Best Music Video, R&B Song/Performance)

Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales(R&B Album)

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 309 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.