Home Forums Music Early predictions for Best original song Oscar 2022

Early predictions for Best original song Oscar 2022

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 426 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Donnna
RBBrittain
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

WarnerMedia’s CEO praising Beyoncé

WBeyonce

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: right;”>

To be fair, back then there was a rule limiting the number of songwriters to 3. Listen had 4 songwriters, so one had to go. If it were nominated today, she would be credited. I do agree with you though that there is some bias, but it’s interesting if it is in fact her “questionable” reputation as a songwriter, given that Taylor Swift; who is KNOWN to be a writer, also has failed to land Oscar success. Beautiful Ghosts couldn’t even land a spot on the shortlist when multiple people on this site had it as being way more likelier than Spirit, and even top 2 in winning odds. One can’t even use the film being panned excuse because the most panned aspect of Cats was the VFX, and the film was shortlisted in that category. Maybe the bias is against female pop stars? Adele & Gaga are the only nominees of the past decade. Adele is obviously BELOVED and is not seen as a manufactured pop star like her peers, while Gaga’s first nomination was co-written with perennial nominee Dianne Warren, and second nomination was obviously undeniable…

</p>
    Taylor was shortlisted for I don’t wanna live forever from fifty shades so I don’t think any such bias exists. They just did not like the song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: right;”>

</p>
    Taylor was shortlisted for I don’t wanna live forever from fifty shades so I don’t think any such bias exists. They just did not like the song.

That was back when the shortlist was 70 songs.

This year, Only The Young also missed…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

This year, Only The Young also missed…

And she / Netflix heavily campaigned for that as well, was a known that somewhat known (70m Spotify streams by Jan 2021) and is actually performed in the doc.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

That was back when the shortlist was 70 songs. This year, Only The Young also missed…

The shortlist was like 35 songs then. And only the young is a terrible song. It was a lover reject. It wasn’t getting shortlisted even in a longer list. And her documentary made no noise with the academy. If she wants to get in she needs to write a better song in a movie on academys radar. There is no bias.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

The shortlist was like 35 songs then.

It was 70:

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the 70 original songs still in contention for the Oscar this year.

Oscars 2018: Academy Reveals Best Original Song Shortlist, Including Sufjan Stevens’ ‘Mystery of Love’

And her documentary made no noise with the academy. If she wants to get in she needs to write a better song in a movie on academys radar. There is no bias.

So what’s the difference between that and Beyoncé? Besides Listen (which has already been stated that a rule prevented her from being credited), she hasn’t written a song for a movie on the Academy’s radar.

The point of my post was to demonstrate how the “songwriting” bias for Beyoncé doesn’t make sense when Taylor is continuously denied as well…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

So what’s the difference between that and Beyoncé? Besides Listen (which has already been stated that a rule prevented her from being credited), she hasn’t written a song for a movie on the Academy’s radar. The point of my post was to demonstrate how the “songwriting” bias for Beyoncé doesn’t make sense when Taylor is continuously denied as well…

Yeah, I agree…there is no bias. The pop girls who have got in have had huge hits like Skyfall and Shallow. Spirit, Beautiful Ghosts and Only the Young barely made any noise and were from movies not at all on academys radar. I think Beyonce is getting in even if her song is not a hit but for Taylor to get in she needs to write a serious hit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    xohours
    Topics:

atm i think its still Billie’s Oscar’s to lose, unless Bey’s song blows up; songwriters name aren’t listed on the voting ballot, so voters will likely just pick the song/movie most known

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

atm i think its still Billie’s Oscar’s to lose, unless Bey’s song blows up; songwriters name aren’t listed on the voting ballot, so voters will likely just pick the song/movie most known

Jennifer Hudson is the current frontrunner here imo. Might be “Dream Girls” all over again. But this hopefully will be Bey’s best shot for a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

Last year when Beyoncé was supposed to make it with ‘Spirit’ there was literally no competition, they rather giving to Elton John a second Oscar and none of the songs nominated were attached to best pictures or being particular good songs.

The thing with the music branch of the Academy and Beyoncé is that there is a bias against her not really being a quote on quote “songwriter.” Those nominees are voted on by other musicians and its well known in the industry that she has taken credit for writing many songs that she has not really written. She got away with this by claiming the way she chose to sing certain notes or words contributed to the writing of a song… which is a stretch and more of a producing credit if anything. This is why the music committee didn’t select her to be one of the credited Academy Award nominated songwriters for “Listen” from Dreamgirls even though she’s listed as a writer for that song in the film. I do think enough time has passed since then and assuming there’s only one or two co-writers for the track from King Richard, I think she can finally score a nomination. But if she doesn’t, I won’t be super surprised. P.S. I agree with Gucci that “Spirit” was trash anyway and didn’t deserve a nom.

Basically this, her frauding the credits for the ‘Dreamgirls’ song just made a bad impression with the Academy, if she couldn’t even make the shortlist during a weak year with a song attached to a Disney blockbuster who previously won in same category, I doubt she will ever get nominated at this point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

Maybe the bias is against female pop stars? Adele & Gaga are the only nominees of the past decade. Adele is obviously BELOVED and is not seen as a manufactured pop star like her peers, while Gaga’s first nomination was co-written with perennial nominee Dianne Warren, and second nomination was obviously undeniable…

They definitely don’t want to make that prize easy to get for popular female popstars and mainstream singers in general, prior to Gaga and Adele, the last popular female singer who won was Annie Lennox in 2003 and prior Barbra Streisand more than 20 years before in the 70s with hers ‘A star is Born’, they made it clear they’re not the Grammys, despite some people trying to make this award easy to get, it’s not.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

The LA Times played themselves. Diane doesn’t need 70 other songwriters to pen a tune.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jpfinna
    Topics:

The LA Times played themselves. Diane doesn’t need 70 other songwriters to pen a tune.

Neither does Beyoncé… Be Alive is written and produced by Beyoncé & Dixson only.

In regards to Spirit, it was written and produced by Beyoncé, Labrinth & Ilya.

Try not to sound like such a hater

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

While We’re Still Young” from Everybody’s Talking About Jamie just released. It’s a bop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

If King Richard is a top 5 contender like I expect it to be, I see no issue with Beyonce getting a Song nomination here. The problem has never been the songwriting, it’s about the movies chosen. The Lion King and especially Cats had rancid aftertaste with their reception and neither were Oscar movies. King Richard is an Oscar film that the voters will watch and probably love enough to check it off in its most competitive categories.

That’s partly why HER won last year because Judas and the Black Messiah had an acting frontrunner and was being seen more than all of the contenders in the category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 426 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.