Home Forums Music Grammy Predictions for 2019 (PART 6)

Grammy Predictions for 2019 (PART 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 512 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
50 mins ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oscar Rodrigues
D.C.
Liberation
  • D.C.
    Participant
    Topics:

I don´t think Post is a contender for AOTY.For rap albums we already have Scorpion,IOP,EIL and maybe even Kendrick Lamar for Black Panther.I don´t see possible that a fifth rapper could get in.

This is also assuming all of those albums get in AOTY. I think it’s very unlikely that EIL gets the nomination at this rate.

Post isn’t even a rapper in the traditional sense. I certainly don’t consider him one. I think he’s much closer to a pop star than anything else.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Nicki could still get a nomination for Rap Album. I can see panel wanting a Cardi vs. Nicki race somewhere, with Cardi being the most likely to scoop up a gong.

Cardi is about to drop her CD in stores with some possible new tracks. She is definitely pushing for the Grammys now.

ReplyCopy URL
    O´Hara
    Participant
    Topics:

beerbongs is as yet under 300k sales so I don’t think it’s a “commercial blockbuster.”

Pure sales are not a thing in 2018.

ReplyCopy URL
    ddib3
    Participant
    Topics:

I see that as well. It’ll be a surefire way to bring in some viewers so people can go to attack Twitter polls afterwards based on who won. It would be absolute hilarity if they built up this Cardi vs. Nicki narrative just to bring in more viewers just to have them both lose to Drake. XD

IMO though Cardi has the most cohesive rap album of the year, so I’m rooting for her.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 14 hours ago by  ddib3.
    ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

i never see grammys building up ‘narratives.’ just like…ads saying “watch the grammys.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodrigues
    Participant
    Topics:

i never see grammys building up ‘narratives.’ just like…ads saying “watch the grammys.”

Not explicitly, but they, like all other award shows, do nominate certain people for buzz.

There are certain moments (25 vs Lemonade; Beck winning over Beyoncé; and even Bruno vs Kendrick vs Lorde) that are definitely controversial. I’m not saying that Beck or Adele or Bruno didn’t deserve to win, but the Grammy’s know their impact.

ReplyCopy URL
    J H
    Participant
    Topics:

yeah i was responding to the person claiming somehow maybe they “built up this Cardi vs. Nicki narrative just to bring in more viewers.” i don’t see how they would do that.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

The Grammys definitely build up narratives… like Adele vs. Beyoncé in every major category, or Adele’s coronation in 2012… etc.

I also don’t think Drake is a lock to win Best Rap Album yet. I feel Scorpion hype will die down.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 13 hours ago by  PoweR.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodrigues
    Participant
    Topics:

Nicki vs Cardi in Rap Album could bring viewers. Queen has an 84 right now in MC, and so does Invasion of Privacy. So it’ll be interesting to see who gets the biggest opening week.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

IOP will be the more successful album in the long run. It’s still holding on in the top 10 and it’s been out for a while now. I don’t see Queen lasting that long, and I most certainly don’t think she will win a Grammy for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Daniel Lopes
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not saying that Beck or Adele or Bruno didn’t deserve to win, but the Grammy’s know their impact.

They didn’t deserve it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodrigues
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not saying that Beck or Adele or Bruno didn’t deserve to win, but the Grammy’s know their impact.

They didn’t deserve it.

(I know)

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

The Grammys don’t explicitly say it but they obviously hint at “battles”. People watched to see if Kendrick and Beyoncé would reign victorious in AOTY against the hitmakers and of course, disappointment came in. A Nicki vs Cardi thing would be a trend they would hop on. The Grammys aren’t oblivious to these type of things. Of course if Nicki is nominated, she won’t be close to winning. They’ll just amp up that rivalry shit for publicity when really it’ll just be Cardi vs Drake.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mercury
    Participant
    Topics:

I know the Grammys recently have wanted to stay more current with regards to genre, and newer artists, and more recently increase racial and gender diversity, so Paul McCartney doesn’t seem as much of a lock as he would have in prior years. However his singles from his upcoming album Egypt Station are pretty good and the album sounds solid. Surely he’ll get a nomination SOMEWHERE.  I don’t know what the predominant genre will be though, rock or pop…

I could see a Melodrama situation maybe happening. I dunno if they’ll give an oldie one of the 8 slots though!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Some of these arguments or “cases” for certain albums to get in….confuse me a little. Taylor Swift doesn’t get in because her year has been underwhelming, she has no huge hit, she has career low reviews and Reputation was mostly frontloaded. OK, I get that. However, predicting things like Camila Cabello for AOTY “not out of the question” because she’s new and “came off of Havana” as well as KOD, Beerbongs & Bentleys, Black Panther, Greatest Showman, Beautiful Trauma over her seem silly.

“But sales!” That’s the case, then the entire plan of expanding the nominees would be pointless (wouldn’t make sense for Camila since her sales aren’t special and nobody remembers her album). They’re expanding the nominees, not changing their mind process while voting.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 512 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.