Home Forums Music Grammy Predictions for 2019 (PART 6)

Grammy Predictions for 2019 (PART 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 512 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
50 mins ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oscar Rodrigues
D.C.
Liberation
  • Oscar Rodrigues
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree. I don’t see how soundtracks get in over Swift. I still think she’ll get in AOTY easily.

ReplyCopy URL
    JasonLannister
    Participant
    Topics:

We have to keep in mind that Swift is not invincible. She lost for Red and that album was much better than Reputation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I know that but I’m saying the replacements for her don’t make sense. But that’s the LAST time I defend her.

ReplyCopy URL
    D.C.
    Participant
    Topics:

If they don’t want Taylor Swift in there, they don’t want Taylor Swift in there. 8 nominees or not. I have a feeling they don’t want her in there.

On paper, Sara Bareilles replacing Justin Timberlake didn’t make sense either. But that happened.

In some way, there’s a case to be made for all of those albums you named. It’s not like people are predicting, I don’t know, Charlie Puth.

ReplyCopy URL
    Liberation
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor Swift does NOT get into AOTY because she would be a threat to win in this shitfest of a year. Not because of her sales. Homegirl won AOTY twice in six years. A third win so soon would be way too much.

ReplyCopy URL
    ddib3
    Participant
    Topics:

Although “Camila” has been a tad bit more receptive than the top Pop Vocal nominees, I just don’t see her getting into AOTY.

Yeah she has more “acclaim” (if you wanna call it that) than Taylor by she’s seemed to drop the ball since releasing her album. I know she’s on tour right now but I feel like her buzz has gone down tremendously. No way they’ll put her in AOTY over the Grammy sweetheart Taylor Swift.

I also think Kelly has a better case than P!nk in Pop Vocal. Kelly objectively has the better album, and in no way will they nominate TWO older acts, especially in the way they been trying to mainstream the Pop field in recent years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Stan
    Participant
    Topics:

The reason why Red didn’t win AOTY (and Grammys) was because it wasn’t sonically cohesive. Then she made 1989. Boom. 3 Grammys.

reputation, like it or not, is sonically cohesive. I think Taylor has learned how to please Grammys (Don’t bring LWYMMD. She did that on purpose). Even though it isn’t as superior as Red lyrically, reputation still serves its purpose as a comeback album (narrative: checked) without needing to address all drama she had in few years back, and being sonically cohesive as she might refer.

Also she is on tour right now, getting rave reviews from many publication. Her recent single doing well on radios and sales.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 2 hours ago by  Andrew Stan.
    ReplyCopy URL
    D.C.
    Participant
    Topics:

I would be very shocked if either Kelly Clarkson or P!nk were left out of Pop Vocal Album. “Older” or not (they’re not that old), Grammy voters still have their favorites, and those women are two of the perennial nominees in the pop field. And they’ve shown that they aren’t that interested in newer acts unless they can really prove themselves. Charlie Puth, Meghan Trainor, Selena Gomez, Shawn Mendes, James Arthur, Julia Michaels, etc. have all gotten the shaft in that category.

ReplyCopy URL
    D.C.
    Participant
    Topics:

Red didn’t win AOTY because it went up against Daft Punk, who made the definition of a Grammy-bait album. It has nothing to do with “sonic cohesiveness” or whatever.

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on last year, the BRP seems very into urban/rap music right now, so I think at least 4 slots will go to artists from those genres. For the 4 remaining slots, I expect 2 pop, 1 country, and 1 rock. Here’s my guess:

– Scorpion – Drake (rap)
    – Invasion of Privacy- Cardi B (rap)
    – Everything is Love- The Carters (urban/rap)
    – Dirty Computer- Janelle Monae (urban/r&b?)
    – Golden Hour – Kacey Musgraves (country)
    – Egypt Station- Paul McCartney (veteran/British/rock)*
    – Meaning of Life- Kelly Clarkson (pop)**
    – Shawn Mendes – Shawn Mendes (pop/young)***

* U2 could replace him and still represent the international veteran rock slot
    ** P!nk or Sam Smith could fill this slot since P!nk has had more radio singles and Sam is a recent Grammy darling (snub of his single last year hurts him IMO)
    *** Charlie Puth could surprise here and would also fill the young pop slot I’m expecting with this category expansion. Ariana Grande could fit here as well, but I think reception of her album will be critical for her to secure a nom)

I think this is a pretty diverse lineup that would draw a wide audience, in terms of appealing to viewers, with both young and old nominees, help rectify the lack of female representation last year, and make for a very competitive category.

ReplyCopy URL
    ddib3
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly we can debate all we want about who deserves to be nominated in AOTY and Pop Vocal as it pertains to Taylor, but we all know anything she gets in she gets. “Red” being an exception. As much as it would make me sick, if she is nominated for anything this year, she will win.

Plain and simple. *shrugs*

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Stan
    Participant
    Topics:

Red didn’t win AOTY because it went up against Daft Punk, who made the definition of a Grammy-bait album. It has nothing to do with “sonic cohesiveness” or whatever.

I’m just quoting Taylor’s interview with the Grammys

“I remember not going to after-parties,” Swift remembered. “I went home and I cried a little bit, and I got In-N-Out Burger and ate a lot . . . You have a few options when you don’t win an award: You can decide like, ‘Oh, they’re wrong.’ Second, you can be like, ‘I’m going to go up on the stage and take the mic from whoever did win it.’ Or third, you can say, ‘Maybe they’re right. Maybe I did not make the record of my career. Maybe I need to fix the problem, which is that I have not made sonically cohesive albums.’”

Having been a victim of the second option, Swift chose the last, and remembers going to bed thinking about her next album.

Hours later, she said, “I woke up at 4 in the morning, and I’m like, [the new album is] called 1989, I’ve been making 80s synthpop, I’m just going to keep doing that. I’m calling it a pop record. I am not listening to anyone at my record label. I’m starting tomorrow.”

Swift, who has seven Grammys, clarified that the shiny gold objects aren’t all that matter, but they are a good motivator.

“We don’t make music so that we can win a lot of awards,” Swift said, “but you have to take your cues from somewhere if you’re going to evolve.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Stan
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly we can debate all we want about who deserves to be nominated in AOTY and Pop Vocal as it pertains to Taylor, but we all know anything she gets in she gets. “Red” being an exception. As much as it would make me sick, if she is nominated for anything this year, she will win. Plain and simple. *shrugs*

Well, she’s kinda lucky that this year is a weak one for music. Not her fault tho

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodrigues
    Participant
    Topics:

Red didn’t win AOTY because it was a bad album. The sonically-cohesive bullshit is tiring to see.

I don’t see why Reputation can’t get in and lose though. Y’all act like it HAS to win if it’s nominated. There are other safe white albums the voters can chose (Kacey and Sam for example). Reputation will get in AOTY, like Red back in the day.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oscar Rodrigues
    Participant
    Topics:

Based on last year, the BRP seems very into urban/rap music right now, so I think at least 4 slots will go to artists from those genres. For the 4 remaining slots, I expect 2 pop, 1 country, and 1 rock. Here’s my guess:

– Scorpion – Drake (rap)
    – Invasion of Privacy- Cardi B (rap)
    – Everything is Love- The Carters (urban/rap)
    – Dirty Computer- Janelle Monae (urban/r&b?)
    – Golden Hour – Kacey Musgraves (country)
    – Egypt Station- Paul McCartney (veteran/British/rock)*
    – Meaning of Life- Kelly Clarkson (pop)**
    – Shawn Mendes – Shawn Mendes (pop/young)***

* U2 could replace him and still represent the international veteran rock slot
    ** P!nk or Sam Smith could fill this slot since P!nk has had more radio singles and Sam is a recent Grammy darling (snub of his single last year hurts him IMO)
    *** Charlie Puth could surprise here and would also fill the young pop slot I’m expecting with this category expansion. Ariana Grande could fit here as well, but I think reception of her album will be critical for her to secure a nom)

I think this is a pretty diverse lineup that would draw a wide audience, in terms of appealing to viewers, with both young and old nominees, help rectify the lack of female representation last year, and make for a very competitive category.

No way in hell Shawn Mendes gets in AOTY.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 512 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.