Home Forums Music Grammys 2020: Country Field

Grammys 2020: Country Field

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Darren
Boz
James Otto Sw..
  • Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Who it’s being funded by and the artist’s ethnicity don’t mean a thing. It’s not going to be nominated. And Darius Rucker has won a Grammy in the country field, so I don’t think they have a race problem.

Who it’s being funded does matter, becomes those same excecutives pushing the song (which is a #1 Country hit btw) can also be voters, and friends of voters.

And race matters this year specially. The amount of backlash Billboard got for not allowing Old Town Road into country was very excessive, and that could translate into the Grammy’s. The Git Up is quite simply a marketing tool Nashville has used to say “Hey guys, look, we ain’t racist” and that could very well be the case for the Country committee. Aside from that, it still is a #1 Country hit, so to dismiss it completely would be as wrong as dismissing Old Town Road wherever it gets submitted. It’s not going to win whatsoever and it’s obviously a sympathy pick, but sympathy can get you very far.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

The amount of backlash Billboard got for not allowing Old Town Road into country was very excessive, and that could translate into the Grammy’s.

That “backlash” clearly wasn’t that loud because I had never heard about it until months after the fact. And “Old Town Road” isn’t a country song, so it never should have been on the country charts to begin with. The decision obviously wasn’t race-based when Kane Brown is allowed to chart with material that borders on pop.

In any case, “The Git Up” is not getting past the committee, lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

That “backlash” clearly wasn’t that loud because I had never heard about it until months after the fact. And “Old Town Road” isn’t a country song, so it never should have been on the country charts to begin with. The decision obviously wasn’t race-based when Kane Brown is allowed to chart with material that borders on pop.

In any case, “The Git Up” is not getting past the committee, lol.

Homegirl, the Billboard story was even on national TV. You”re either living under a rock or stuck watching Netflix.

I’m not saying Old Town Road is country, or that the Git Up is country, but neither is Meant to Be, or Body Like A Backroad, or that god-awful Sam Hunt record. But the backlash was there – it was even mentioned here on GoldDerby. Amnesia is a real bummer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

“The Git Up” is definitely a country song (or a good imitation/mockery of one, at least), but it’s not getting nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Tyler Childers’s Country Squire, Eric Church’s Desperate Man, Maren Morris’s GIRL, Pistol Annies’ Interstate Gospel, and Thomas Rhett’s Center Point Road are my early picks for Best Country Album.

Maren Morris will likely be nominated across the board, along with the song “GIRL” in Country Solo Performance and Song, and “Redesigning Women” in Country Duo/Group Performance.

“God’s Country” is all but certain to be nominated for Best Country Song and could be nominated in Country Solo Performance as well.

“Speechless” is the obvious frontrunner for Country Duo/Group and will likely be nominated in Song as well.

Expecting a nomination for “Beer Never Broke My Heart” in Country Solo due to the phenomenal year Luke Combs has had. Could also be a Song contender.

“What If I Never Get Over You,” “Miss Me More,” “Look What God Gave Her”… there are a lot of possibilities.

Kane Brown is probably getting snubbed again. He’s just too controversial and the victim of too much snobbery.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Titles like “Beer Never Broke My Heart” is why I don’t listen to country music.

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ Don’t let the songs like that one speak for the rest.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
    Sheeow
    Participant
    Topics:

Country superstar Jackson Maine and his wife are coming to sweep the country field, LMFAO!

ReplyCopy URL
    Elusive Chanteuse
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone think Maren will end up submitting The Bones to one of the categories as well? It’s looking like it’ll be a multiformat hit (and probably will be her biggest hit yet). It’s #17 on HAC radio and will be going to Country radio on August 26th. It’s also #49 on Pop radio, and that’s without even being sent to Pop radio or having an adds date.

I know GIRL will definitely be submitted, but as seeing The Bones is a single before the submission period ends (and cannot be submitted next year), I could see them also submitting this along with GIRL. Especially when it could become her biggest (solo) hit yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

“The Bones” will probably be entered in Pop Solo Performance.

It can be submitted next year as long as the GIRL album doesn’t win a Grammy this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Elusive Chanteuse
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s a huge risk though. Considering the competition this year, Maren has a good chance of winning album. So you’re right, they probably should submit it to Pop and hope they consider her there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Matt2019
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor Swift is submitting the song Lover for Best Country Solo and Best Country Song in 62nd Grammys.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Matt90210.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Matt90210.
    ReplyCopy URL
    smurty11
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know if Tyler Childers or Yola submit to country or Americana. But i hope they get nominated. Indie country acts are saving the genre.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know if Tyler Childers or Yola submit to country or Americana. But i hope they get nominated. Indie country acts are saving the genre.

Tyler Childers will probably go country and Yola will almost definitely go Americana

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.