Home Forums Music Grammys 2020: Rock

Grammys 2020: Rock

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
theexterminator
JennyLewisFan
Darren
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Well damn. I think those 2 singles sound a little too pop to be nom’d in the Rock Field. I guess I’ll just hold out hope for an album nom then.

I could see “It’s Not Living” making it in the rock field. “Give Yourself a Try” definitely would.

ReplyCopy URL
    theexterminator
    Participant
    Topics:

My predictions:

Rock song

*This Land – Gary Clark Jr

*Fear Inoculum – Tool

*???

*???

*???

(This category is a mess.)

Rock perf

*Greta van Fleet – ???

*Tom Petty – ???

*Mark Morton ft Chester Bennington – Cross off (metal?)

*1975 – ???

*A woman or a female fronted band (Florence?, Halestorm?)

Metal perf

*Slipknot – Unsainted

*Tool – Fear Inoculum

*Bring me the Horizon ft Dani Filth – Wonderful Life

*???

*???

(Rammstein are too controversial for the Grammys)

Rock album

*Greta van Fleet – Anthem of the Peaceful Army

*Slipknot – We are not your kind

*Gary Clark Jr – This Land (ar?)

*Tool – Fear Inoculum (TBR)

*????

Alt album

*1975 – A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships

*Bon Iver – I, I

*Vampire Weekend – Father of the Bride

*Sharon van Etten – Remind me Tomorrow

*Thom Yorke – ???

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t forget about the Sheeran/Mars/Stapleton song, which is actually doing well at rock radio. That starpower will be very hard even for the snobby rock panel to deny.

ReplyCopy URL
    Radiogagahead
    Participant
    Topics:

The National and Vampire Weekend could slip into those rock categories with the right submission.

I’d go with “Quiet Light” or “You Had Your Soul With You” for The National. “This Life,” “Harmony Hall,” or “Sunflower” would all work for Vampire Weekend.

Bon Iver will probably be submitted to Pop Duo/Group and Vampire Weekend could arguably submit there as well. Both stand little chance of getting in that crowded category though.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Do y’all think Brittany Howard’s solo single “He Loves Me” will slip into Rock Performance or Song??? Her group Alabama Shakes has won 3 previous Grammys in the Rock Field.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, The 1975’s new single “People” is definitely and unmistakably a rock song. No arguing it could be pop, lol. Very different sound for them. As a fan, I don’t hate it, but I hope their new album isn’t all in this style.

I’m wondering if they could/would submit “People” to Best Metal Performance??? Or just Rock. Idk if there is bias towards nominating only metal acts in the metal category. Not exactly my type of music.

ReplyCopy URL
    supermodelslegs
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone know if “Sincerity is Scary” by the 1975 was submitted last year? I thought I read somewhere it was but I’m not sure.

Shame that they nominated Love It If We Made It last year, it could’ve had some potential this year for sure.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Do y’all think Brittany Howard’s solo single “He Loves Me” will slip into Rock Performance or Song??? Her group Alabama Shakes has won 3 previous Grammys in the Rock Field.

It seems likely that it might get a Rock Song nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, The 1975’s new single “People” is definitely and unmistakably a rock song. No arguing it could be pop, lol. Very different sound for them. As a fan, I don’t hate it, but I hope their new album isn’t all in this style. I’m wondering if they could/would submit “People” to Best Metal Performance??? Or just Rock. Idk if there is bias towards nominating only metal acts in the metal category. Not exactly my type of music.

This is most likely getting a nod for Rock Performance. The song isn’t Metal at all. It’s a pure Rock song.

For Metal, you’d think more hard and fast acts like Slipknot, who I’m hoping get a nomination in the Rock Album and Metal Performance categories this coming Grammys.

ReplyCopy URL
    TedFears
    Participant
    Topics:

I think We Are Not Your Kind is going to win Best Rock Album. Because it’s getting huge acclaim by critics.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boofs29
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes to Cage The Elephant!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Tell Me I’m Pretty was a great choice. I’m not a 100% convinced Social Cues would give them their second win in the Rock Album category.

Question: What are the standout Rock Compositions from this season that could really vie for the Rock Song award? Last year had some AMAZING nominees. “Ghost” and “MANTRA” were admittedly some of my favorite jams among them, but of course, the ultimate jam, “Masseduction,” had to take the cake. (I’m still a bit upset of her Alternative Music Album loss to Beck though).

If you take a look at the nominees, they weren’t exactly the most popular of rock recordings from the 61st cycle; however, we can’t deny them being deserving of their nominations. So, popularity aside, what are the outright BEST rock compositions from this 62nd Grammy season?

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST ROCK SONG
    1. This Land by Gary Clark Jr.
    2. Cringe by Matt Maeson
    3. The Hype by Twenty-One Pilots
    4. Unsainted by Slipknot
    5. Are You Bored Yet? by Wallows featuring Clairo

BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE
    1. Cringe by Matt Maeson
    2. This Land by Gary Clark Jr.
    3. Go by The Black Keys
    4. Fear Incoculum by TOOL
    5. BLOW by Ed Sheeran featuring Chris Stapleton & Bruno Mars

BEST ROCK ALBUM
    1. Fear Inoculum by TOOL
    2. Let’s Rock by The Black Keys
    3. Social Cues by Cage the Elephant
    4. We Are Not Your Kind by Slipknot
    5. Anthem of the Peaceful Army by Greta Van Fleet

BEST ALTERNATIVE ALBUM
    1. Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood
    2. Father of the Bride by Vampire Weekend
    3. Trench by twenty-one pilots
    4. Nothing Happens by Wallows
    5. i,i by Bon Iver

(I’m assuming Lana, Maggie & Billie are going pop)

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

BEST ROCK SONG 1. This Land by Gary Clark Jr. 2. Cringe by Matt Maeson 3. The Hype by Twenty-One Pilots 4. Unsainted by Slipknot 5. Are You Bored Yet? by Wallows featuring Clairo BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE 1. Cringe by Matt Maeson 2. This Land by Gary Clark Jr. 3. Go by The Black Keys 4. Fear Incoculum by TOOL 5. BLOW by Ed Sheeran featuring Chris Stapleton & Bruno Mars BEST ROCK ALBUM 1. This Land by Gary Clark Jr 2. Fear Inoculum by TOOL 3. Let’s Rock by The Black Keys 4. Western Stars by Bruce Springteen 5. Help Us Strangee by The Raconteurs BEST ALTERNATIVE ALBUM 1. Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood 2. Father of the Bride by Vampire Weekend 3. Trench by twenty-one pilots 4. Nothing Happens by Wallows 5. i,i by Bon Iver (I’m assuming Lana, Maggie & Billie are going pop)

Western Stars is an Americana album, not rock. This Land, I believe, is more fitting in the Contemporary Blues field.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Western Stars is an Americana album, not rock. This Land, I believe, is more fitting in the Contemporary Blues field.

Thanks, I’ll fix those.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.