Home Forums Music Grammys 2022: Dance/Electronic/Remixed Nominees

Grammys 2022: Dance/Electronic/Remixed Nominees

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
ProfessorChaos
AnonimoEnte
Almond
  • Profile picture
    ProfessorChaos
    Topics:

UPDATE: Official Nominees (11-23-21)

Best Dance Electronic Album:
    • Black Coffee – “Subconsciously”
    • Illenium – “Fallen Embers”
    • Major Lazer – “Music is the Weapon (Reloaded)”
    • Marshmello – “Shockwave”
    • Sylvan Esso – “Free Love”
    • Ten City – “Judgement”

Best Dance/Electronic Recording:
    • Tiesto – “The Business”
    • Rufus Du Sol – “Alive”
    • Caribou- “You Can Do It”
    • James Blake – “Before”
    • Bonobo & Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs- “Heartbreak”
    • David Guetta & Afrojack – “Hero”
    • Olafur Arnalds featuring Bonobo – “Loom”

Best Remixed Recording:
    “Back to Life (Booker T Kings of Soul Satta Dub)” – Booker T, remixer (Soul II Soul)
    “Born for Greatness (Cymek remix)” – Spencer Bastin, remixer (Papa Roach)“
    “Constant Craving (Fashionably Late remix)” – Tracy Young, remixer (K.D. Lang)
    “Inside Out (3scape Drm remix)” – 3scape Drm, remixer (Zedd & Griff)
    “Met Him Last Night (Dave Aude remix)” – Dave Aude, remixer (Demi Lovato & Ariana Grande)
    “Passenger (Mike Shinoda remix)” – Mike Shinoda, remixer (Deftones)
    “Talks (Mura Masa remix)” – Alexander Crossan, remixer (PVA)

——————————————————————————————————-
    Who are the leading contenders in:

• Best Dance/Electronic Album

• Best Dance/Electronic Recording

• Best Remixed Recording

These categories are often hardest to predict, as they’re normally the result of committee picks, as opposed to the bigger hits, most popular club/festival play.

Most of the bigger acts (Tiesto, Calvin Harris, Diplo, Kaskade, Swedish House Mafia, deadmau5, Porter Robinson, Rufus du Sol, DJ Snake) have put out releases in the eligibility period, but these categories have skewed towards house music & upcoming new artists in recent years. The remix category is almost always impossible to predict (last year’s Imanbek SAINt JHN win was the rare case of the most familiar choice being picked)

Profile picture
    CheChe70
    Topics:

To be honest I think more mainstream acts need to be nominated and win to maintain people’s interest in the category. Also, I think non-DJ’s who obviously use EDM music as a cornerstone of their musical identity deserve nominations. Personally I am rooting for Lady Gaga’s 911 in Dance Recording, that has EDM written all over it

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AnonimoEnte
    Topics:

I remember a friend once told me that the victory of Don’t let me down caused some controversy in the dance community and that it rejects some mainstream acts as real dance music. I do not know to what extent it is true but it would explain why there are usually more indie nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AnonimoEnte
    Topics:

I see Swedish House Mafia’s Lifetime and DJ Snake’s My High on “Best Dance Recording”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mother Dináh
    Topics:

FYC:

• Best Dance/Electronic Album: Porter Robinson – Nurture
    • Best Dance/Electronic Recording: Porter Robinson – Look At The Sky
    • Best Remixed Recording: Arca – Rain On Me
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mother Dináh
    Topics:

I remember a friend once told me that the victory of Don’t let me down caused some controversy in the dance community and that it rejects some mainstream acts as real dance music. I do not know to what extent it is true but it would explain why there are usually more indie nominees.

They didn’t draw the line with The Chainsmokers, given that the also mainstream Electricity won in 2019.

They drew the line in 2012 after Rihanna won and also because Lady Gaga was on her way to easily win Best Dance Recording with BPSP recordings almost every year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ProfessorChaos
    Topics:

FWIW: Dave1 from Chromeo has acknowledged being on the committee in the past, referencing a conversation about Avicii with fellow committee member (and influential radio DJ/curator) Jason Bentley.

Both of their tastes seem in line with the nominees that make it in (ie. house tracks, artists who play live instruments, indie artists, etc.) Which is why I think previous nominee Porter Robinson (who just played 2 huge 25,000+ shows in LA) is probably this year’s favorite.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

To be honest I think more mainstream acts need to be nominated and win to maintain people’s interest in the category. Also, I think non-DJ’s who obviously use EDM music as a cornerstone of their musical identity deserve nominations. Personally I am rooting for Lady Gaga’s 911 in Dance Recording, that has EDM written all over it

Yes as mentioned above, mainstream acts dominated pre-2013 but they wanted to honor their own more

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ELIAS✨
    Topics:

give him everything

Top 15 Albums of 2022 to understand my music taste lol slay

Ants From Up There
    Bronco
    CAPRISONGS
    Dawn FM
    Diaspora Problems
    Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
    Harry's House
    Hellfire
    Ivory
    Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers
    MOTOMAMI
    Melt My Eyez See My Future
    Once Twice Melody
    Preacher's Daughter
    RENAISSANCE

Everything Everywhere All At Once for Best Picture
    Severance for Outstanding Drama Series

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    ProfessorChaos
    Topics:

give him everything

Thisssssss ❤️

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CheChe70
    Topics:

I am aware of the change post 2013, and I understand the incredibly valid meaning behind it. I am just saying that if more mainstream act, even just mainstream DJs, enter with maybe one EDM hit a year, it would simply create more buzz about the category and provide more fan reaction. Before he won last year I had not even heard of Kayantrada, and not that that is a bad thing, I am no EDM expert persay, but i feel the Dance/Electronic field is floating into obscure territory alongside the technical, jazz and classical categories as long as it pertains to reception.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I do want to see more “Pop” dance songs get in. There are plenty of dance tracks that breakthrough to the mainstream bc they are that good and they shouldn’t be punished for being popular.

This year I hope at least one of these records breaks through:

Regard, Troye Sivan, Tate McRae – “You”

Joel Corey & Jax Jones featuring Charli XCX & Saweetie – “OUT OUT”

Riton & Nightcrawlers featuring Mufasa & Hypeman – “Friday”

Galantis, David Guetta, Little Mix – “Heartbreak Anthem”

Becky Hill & David Guetta – “Remember”

Jonasu – “Black Magic”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ProfessorChaos
    Topics:

Before he won last year I had not even heard of Kayantrada, and not that that is a bad thing, I am no EDM expert persay, but i feel the Dance/Electronic field is floating into obscure territory alongside the technical, jazz and classical categories as long as it pertains to reception.

I’m pretty familiar with the genre & Kaytranada was not the biggest name within the scene, but his album was well-reviewed & he played the major festivals. I was shocked to see his wins, was expecting Madeon to win the album category.

You’re right on point about the genre falling into the tech categories. For a classification that has lots of pop crossover, they tend to favor a lot of the 90s/early 2000s legends like Aphex Twin, Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk (obviously) & LCD Soundsystem. It’s in the same funk as the Rock categories where there’s a lot of gatekeeping by the old guard. Even the 3 years Skrillex won showed that the committee members just rubber stamp the same names.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CheChe70
    Topics:

They need to maintain relevance, hopefully newer voters will do this, especially with the popular vote now back in effect. Lady Gaga’s 911 would be eligible correct? It was released as a single this eligibility period and Chromatica did not win an album category last year. With all of Gaga’s buzz and the fact that 911 is one of her most EDM, electronic songs in her discography, which is already more authentically EDM centric than most popstars, it could be nominated?

Gaga won EDM artist at the BBMA’s & AMA’s and Chromatica, Born This Way, The Fame, & ARTPOP are all prevelant on the EDM charts: if any popstar is getting in with the changed rules – it’s her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.