Home Forums Music Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 3)

Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 1,318 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Predix
almanzarlamar..
Monet Tejada
  • Profile picture
    musiccisum
    Topics:

we have the expected big debut for harry. “Harry‘s House” debuts at #1 with 521k in total & 330k in pure sales. he breaks the record for biggest vinyl sales week for an album with 182k sold.

Profile picture
    sissyfritz
    Topics:

About Damn Time looks like it’s going to climb to #5 on the Hot 100 this week despite Harry’s massive album drop. Seems like it’s gonna be one of the hits of the summer. If Lizzo’s album can capitalize on the single’s success, I feel confident that she’ll make it into both Pop Solo and Album (presuming the album is as pop-oriented as her recent music has been).

Also gaining huge ground despite Harry’s House, Zach Bryan. I don’t know much about him, but if he hits as well as it looks like he might, he may be a possible BNA nominee. Winner would seem like a stretch in a normal year (only 3 country music artists have ever won in the category), but BNA is super dry this year so you never know.

Profile picture
    Jaket1991
    Topics:

Are there people from UK on this forum? I was having a debate with somebody a couple of days ago and since this is a music forum, I’m curious for people’s opinions. What does everyone think of the UK rap scene? Does it hold up to America’s? I’ve lived in England my whole life and I think that UK has some incredible, incredible rappers and hip hop artists who don’t get the recognition they deserve. London’s underground rap scene is something else. But in general, I find that there’s very unique POC cultural music scene throughout UK that doesn’t get appreciated. I feel like a lot of people in America think that rap music is socially relevant to their country first and foremost.

i agree UK rappers should receive more international recognition. However, lots of the content is very specific to UK experiences so I do understand why it doesn’t necessarily carry over. I also think success / recognition in the UK is more important than those chasing international superstardom. Maybe because it took so long for them to be taken seriously as artists. Dave should be having international success imo. Total poet

Profile picture
    Bridgers13
    Topics:

Ugh I love Dave. I don’t know if he’s aiming for global success or what since he’s already huge in the UK but I wish he achieved that, he’s just so good and more people should know that.

Profile picture
    J
    Topics:

Ed can only be nominated once so I guess “Bam Bam” is the most likely since it’s the bigger song.
    Mine is currently:

1. We Don’t Talk About Bruno – Encanto Cast
    2. Enemy – Imagine Dragons & JID
    3. My Universe – Coldplay & BTS
    4. Bam Bam – Camila Cabello & Ed Sheeran
    5. Sweetest Pie – Megan Thee Stallion & Dua Lipa

First three I’m confident I’ll keep it until nominations time unless BTS and Coldplay submit other songs.

You know that an artist can be nominated multiple times in one category right?

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

You know that an artist can be nominated multiple times in one category right?

It depends on the category. Pop duo is one time per artist whereas melodic rap for example allows multiple entries.

Quinta Brunson 1st and 2nd emmy campaign manager
    Bill Hader 4th, 5th and 6th emmy campaign manager
    Jeremy Strong 2nd emmy campaign manager
    Zendaya 2nd and 3rd emmy campaign manager

Profile picture
    LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

I don’t think Kkamila Cabelo is happening to be honest.

Profile picture
    strangemercy
    Topics:

Have any of you guys heard the new Tank And The Bangas record? It should be nominated for something!

Profile picture
    Goldwing
    Topics:

Reading some of the comments I drew my own conclusions:

1. 10 nominees is fine with me because I prefer that to having 3 mediocre albums and 2 good albums in a space of 5 nominees. However I think it should be taken as an opportunity to give more space to other genres instead of pop overexposure.

2. Looking at Lil Simz’s Metacritic ratings, in a perfect world she would have received an AOTY and BNA nomination.

3. I think Ava may be nominated for BDR but I doubt she will win. The Dance field has shown lately to go more for alternative or experimental projects.

Hi.

Profile picture
    Mother Dináh
    Topics:

I don’t understand why some were surprised when Little Simz wasn’t nominated. Her album made no noise in the US. I thought hip-hop-heads would have realized that British rappers are non-factors in the US when Dave & Stormzy were continuously snubbed. IF they even submitted their work for consideration in first place.

Rap voters are gray-haired Jay-Z/Kanye/Nas/Eminem fans and balding Cole/Drake/Nicki/Wayne fans.

Even when a fresher face such as Tyler wins, it’s because the founding fathers of hip-hop all split votes while young voters chose him.

Profile picture
    Mother Dináh
    Topics:

Tank And The Bangas could be the next Grammy favorite to overperform in multiple fields. If she wasn’t in the bottom of the ballott, I’d predict her in AOTY à la Black Pumas/Jon Batiste.

Profile picture
    Munchi
    Topics:

Are there people from UK on this forum? I was having a debate with somebody a couple of days ago and since this is a music forum, I’m curious for people’s opinions. What does everyone think of the UK rap scene? Does it hold up to America’s?

I’ve lived in England my whole life and I think that UK has some incredible, incredible rappers and hip hop artists who don’t get the recognition they deserve. London’s underground rap scene is something else. But in general, I find that there’s very unique POC cultural music scene throughout UK that doesn’t get appreciated. I feel like a lot of people in America think that rap music is socially relevant to their country first and foremost.

I’m quite certain a bunch of users here are either Brits or live in the UK. While working for an American company, I noticed that UK rap & Grime music haven’t picked up there commercially, at all. It’ll be incredibly difficult to justify a Stormzy, Dave or Aitch Grammy win.

Ed Sheehan isn’t even as obnoxiously ubiquitous as he is here. Dua was still considered an upcoming artist by an average person until the end of 2020. Harry is popular and Adele is huuuge there, probably more received by African American consumers than most white artists. Swift is much bigger there than she is to the rest of the world. Kendrick really is highly respected there far more than he is here. Mariah Carey is considered a legend there, unlike here where most don’t readily recall her songs beyond AIWFCIY. Rihanna is even more popular outside the US than within. Drake is the Ed Sheehan there.

More noteworthy, it is very difficult and expensive to gain traction there. It’s easier to break into the multilingual Europe than the US alone. Should Dua take a long break for example, she’ll become obsolete there. US consumers don’t listen to non-US music as much as the rest of the world.

Profile picture
    Anna Artdeco
    Topics:

I’m quite certain a bunch of users here are either Brits or live in the UK. While working for an American company, I noticed that UK rap & Grime music haven’t picked up there commercially, at all. It’ll be incredibly difficult to justify a Stormzy, Dave or Aitch Grammy win.

Ed Sheehan isn’t even as obnoxiously ubiquitous as he is here. Dua was still considered an upcoming artist by an average person until the end of 2020. Harry is popular and Adele is huuuge there, probably more received by African American consumers than most white artists. Swift is much bigger there than she is to the rest of the world. Kendrick really is highly respected there far more than he is here. Mariah Carey is considered a legend there, unlike here where most don’t readily recall her songs beyond AIWFCIY. Rihanna is even more popular outside the US than within. Drake is the Ed Sheehan there.

More noteworthy, it is very difficult and expensive to gain traction there. It’s easier to break into the multilingual Europe than the US alone. Should Dua take a long break for example, she’ll become obsolete there. US consumers don’t listen to non-US music as much as the rest of the world.

Agree with this. In general though, I’d say that pop acts from UK find it relatively easy to break into USA as compared to rap or hip hop acts, who find it practically impossible. USA music consumers are very loyal to their own acts and they have the advantage of having one of the biggest, most dynamic music markets in the world. Any act that gets big in USA finds a loooot of success in general.

Dua’s USA vs UK/EU popularity was always strange to me. It’s only towards the end of the FN era that people there started considering her a MPG but she’s been huge here for years.

On the other hand, with Ed Sheeran… white Brits need to let him go, like I’m so serious.

Profile picture
    Ziggiy
    Topics:

I don’t understand why some were surprised when Little Simz wasn’t nominated. Her album made no noise in the US. I thought hip-hop-heads would have realized that British rappers are non-factors in the US when Dave & Stormzy were continuously snubbed. IF they even submitted their work for consideration in first place. Rap voters are gray-haired Jay-Z/Kanye/Nas/Eminem fans and balding Cole/Drake/Nicki/Wayne fans. Even when a fresher face such as Tyler wins, it’s because the founding fathers of hip-hop all split votes while young voters chose him.

Nas has only ever won ONE Grammy out of 15 nominations

Jay-Z has only ever won ONE Grammy as a solo artist, most of his Grammy wins have come as a featured artist in the Melodic Rap (formally Rap/Sung) category

Yes, Kanye has 400 Grammys but most of those came from his first three albums when he WAS the “fresh face” of the industry. And even then his genre awards haven’t translated into the general field when even though there’s been years where he was both the highest selling and most acclaimed artist, he’s NEVER won.

Its also funny you cite Tyler The Creator as a “fresh face” when he’s in the same class AS Drake, Cole (Whose NEVER won as a solo artist) and Nicki (Whose NEVER won). Tyler’s debut solo album was released less than a year after Nicki & Drake’s and the same year as J.Cole’s. So those same “balding fans” have been familiar with Tyler for over a little over a decade now.

Profile picture
    CheChe70
    Topics:

Jay Z has 3 solo grammy wins:

1999 Rap Album – Vol. 2  Hard Knock Life

2005 Rap Solo Performance – 99 Problems

2010 Rap Solo Performance – D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune)

It does look like most of his wins come from features but I am not surprised, as rap during the late 2000’s and early 2010’s had lots of features. I recently learned that Nicki Minaj’s debut solo song, Your Love became the first solo song to top the Billboard rap charts since Missy Elliott’s Get Ur Freak On.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1,246 through 1,260 (of 1,318 total)

The topic ‘Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.