Home Forums Music Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 4)

Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 764 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Gucci
Boz
Monet Tejada
  • Profile picture
    GhostfaceDilla
    Topics:

I have a question, why these female rappers work with Dr. Luke to get a hit? It’s like selling your soul to devil.

I got you stuck in the realness

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

I have a question, why these female rappers work with Dr. Luke to get a hit? It’s like selling your soul to devil.

There have been several male rappers to work with Dr. Luke these last few years. So, let’s not make this a female thing. I can’t speak on anyone else, but Doja has been under contract with his label since before the Kesha allegations. Someone like Saweetie, it’s more questionable. But I’m sure she’d do anything possible to get a hit (and will likely continue to flop).

Profile picture
    Munchi
    Topics:

It seems achieving prominence in the industry and life in general requires some pragmatism.

Albeit Dr. Luke was not found guilty. Truth is usually double-edged. My take: Kesha going on tape to claim that Dr. Luke has never harassed her in order to win a case against her former manager, then claiming otherwise to break out of her current contract is absolutely questionable. Katy the supposed witness insisted under oath that she wasn’t harassed. No judge, jury or half-decent lawyer will readily buy it honestly.

Profile picture
    Mary
    Topics:

I think some artists want a hit song, but there are artists that look questionable when they work with him (excluding Doja because she’s under contract with him).

Profile picture
    GhostfaceDilla
    Topics:

There have been several male rappers to work with Dr. Luke these last few years. So, let’s not make this a female thing. I can’t speak on anyone else, but Doja has been under contract with his label since before the Kesha allegations. Someone like Saweetie, it’s more questionable. But I’m sure she’d do anything possible to get a hit (and will likely continue to flop).

I searched on Wiki and recently rappers like Juice Wrld, Tyga, DaBaby, Young Thug and Lil Wayne worked with Dr. Luke. Aside from Juice Wrld, these are piece of shit type of rappers. But those songs aren’t big as Big Energy and Best Friend so i didn’t knew it.

I think some artists want a hit song, but there are artists that look questionable when they work with him (excluding Doja because she’s under contract with him).

I know Doja’s situation although she can reach another big industry name to get help if she wants to be released from her contract but that’s another case. Latto, Coi Leray and Saweetie are the ones i criticise here. Luke isn’t the only hitmaker on the music industry, go to Max Martin, Pharrell, never ones like Metro Boomin.

I got you stuck in the realness

Profile picture
    Mary
    Topics:

I know Doja’s situation although she can reach another big industry name to get help if she wants to be released from her contract but that’s another case. Latto, Coi Leray and Saweetie are the ones i criticise here. Luke isn’t the only hitmaker on the music industry, go to Max Martin, Pharrell, never ones like Metro Boomin.

TBH I don’t necessarily see Latto or Coi becoming huge stars (although I like Blick Blick and some songs from the former). IDK what’s going on with Saweetie and I doubt she’ll release her debut album anytime soon.

Profile picture
    HaimOnRye
    Topics:

I think both being in the same label should in fact keep Harry wake at night. The label can easily weaken Harry’s chances to set up Adele!

I was literally thinking about this when Harry’s album leaked a MONTH prior the release, but I hope this is not the case.. Harry has a v good relationship with Columbia’s heads (Rob Stringer) but he might have some ”enemies” within it too, what do we know.

I found your posts about this v interesting, I think the whole ‘Imperial era’ thing is fascinating. The only thing I am a bit uncertain about is that the promo is actually veeeeery low-key, even for Harry standards. FL was promoted non-stop for two weeks at release and he did a bunch of magazine spreads and talk shows, then covid-19 came in so he had to leave it alone but still… This era has been pretty mellow in comparison: one magazine (Better Homes & Gardens, LMAO), two festivals in the space of three months (Coachella, Big Weekend), 2 concerts (one live streamed), BBC live lounge/Stern/Zane Lowe/some 5 minutes pre-recorded ”interviews” for random radios.

Personally, I think he is playing the long game, and that magazine spreads/more important appearances will happen in later months. Or maybe he just doesn’t want to do a lot of ‘in your face’ promo? How does this fit with the Imperial era thing in your opinion? His tour starts next week so he won’t have that much time for general promo I think. It could also be that he and his label are afraid of overexposure, with his movies also coming in a few months. He’ll likely have to promote those around too, so maybe they are putting off magazines/interviews for that?

Profile picture
    LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

Best Dance Recording

Tiesto & Ava Max – ‘The Motto’

Profile picture
    strangemercy
    Topics:

The Motto should be nominated! I’m very excited for Tiësto’s new project, a new collaboration with Charli XCX is on the way and he said he has recorded songs with Drake and Coldplay. Although I would love seeing Arca taking the award, his new album may get Best Dance/Electronic Album.

Profile picture
    Munchi
    Topics:

I was literally thinking about this when Harry’s album leaked a MONTH prior the release, but I hope this is not the case.. Harry has a v good relationship with Columbia’s heads (Rob Stringer) but he might have some ”enemies” within it too, what do we know. I found your posts about this v interesting, I think the whole ‘Imperial era’ thing is fascinating. The only thing I am a bit uncertain about is that the promo is actually veeeeery low-key, even for Harry standards. FL was promoted non-stop for two weeks at release and he did a bunch of magazine spreads and talk shows, then covid-19 came in so he had to leave it alone but still… This era has been pretty mellow in comparison: one magazine (Better Homes & Gardens, LMAO), two festivals in the space of three months (Coachella, Big Weekend), 2 concerts (one live streamed), BBC live lounge/Stern/Zane Lowe/some 5 minutes pre-recorded ”interviews” for random radios. Personally, I think he is playing the long game, and that magazine spreads/more important appearances will happen in later months. Or maybe he just doesn’t want to do a lot of ‘in your face’ promo? How does this fit with the Imperial era thing in your opinion? His tour starts next week so he won’t have that much time for general promo I think. It could also be that he and his label are afraid of overexposure, with his movies also coming in a few months. He’ll likely have to promote those around too, so maybe they are putting off magazines/interviews for that?

Thanks 😊. That’s the thing about the Imperial thing, Harry needs little to no promo to perform well. Media, radio stations, playlist curators, shows, brands etc should want him without convincing. For this reason, labels don’t feel the need to spend much. They rather use such periods to cash out all their investments in the artist’s career.

Alternatively, Harry can spend on himself, but the label’s revenue share however remains unchanged, no matter how much his own personal efforts contributes to the ultimate income outside his contract. If he independently lobbies and lands a Pepsi deal for instance, the label still owns a share of that.

Bottomline, we can only hope the label promotes him optimally. As “Powr” noted, LNT is speedily rising on radio. They could be waiting for the radio numbers to come up while AIW weakens generally, so launching a music video and maybe CD will send it straight to the top. They did something similar with “Industry Baby” and “Watermelon Sugar”.

Profile picture
    Melodies
    Topics:

I think both being in the same label should in fact keep Harry wake at night. The label can easily weaken Harry’s chances to set up Adele! I always believed 25 would be prioritised over Lemonade. I also assumed 24K Magic would be given priority over Divide to test the theory, same with Folklore & After Hours, SOUR & HTE. Rihanna claimed that Jay-Z messed with ANTI’s release strategy to give Lemonade an edge. I afterwards removed ANTI from my AOTY prediction. It’s not always spot-on like with LFS and Maybe I’m wrong but I believe labels might be influential in outcomes. Adele’s inside man “Rob Stringer” at the label was promoted to Columbia CEO after 21 and 25. He afterwards fully signed Adele from XL for a whooping $130m for 3 albums! It’s typically $1m for new artists. He was further made Sony Music President in 2019. See the kind of expensive and outrageous promo 30 got, TV deals + getting Oprah out of retirement require serious resources. Did you know that users in emerging markets received texts from specific networks when EOM, 30 dropped? The cost of sending texts to 100s of millions of users in developing countries still cost millions. Not to mention paying these networks to focus on users of interest who might have shown interest in Adele in some manner. Adele yields serious returns for her label, enough to earn this rare favour that Harry will struggle to catch up to.

Harry has a stronger relationship with Stringer than Adele. He literally recorded part of the album in his holiday house in Oxfordshire and he was CEO of Columbia when 1D got signed.

Harry about Stringer at his One Night Only show:
    (EDIT: the video was taken by Manos Xanthogeorgis, SVP of Columbia)

“I wanna say a quick thank you to Rob Stringer. He runs my record label, and usually you would expect me to hate the person who runs my record label, that just seems to be how it works – but I don’t! Not only has Rob supported me over the last 10-12 years, but he also lent me his house to make this album. He continues to be incredibly generous to me; allows me to make what I wanna make. The next song was written in his house, the ringtone in the background is his.” – Harry introducing ‘Love of my Life’

Profile picture
    Melodies
    Topics:

I was literally thinking about this when Harry’s album leaked a MONTH prior the release, but I hope this is not the case.. Harry has a v good relationship with Columbia’s heads (Rob Stringer) but he might have some ”enemies” within it too, what do we know. I found your posts about this v interesting, I think the whole ‘Imperial era’ thing is fascinating. The only thing I am a bit uncertain about is that the promo is actually veeeeery low-key, even for Harry standards. FL was promoted non-stop for two weeks at release and he did a bunch of magazine spreads and talk shows, then covid-19 came in so he had to leave it alone but still… This era has been pretty mellow in comparison: one magazine (Better Homes & Gardens, LMAO), two festivals in the space of three months (Coachella, Big Weekend), 2 concerts (one live streamed), BBC live lounge/Stern/Zane Lowe/some 5 minutes pre-recorded ”interviews” for random radios. Personally, I think he is playing the long game, and that magazine spreads/more important appearances will happen in later months. Or maybe he just doesn’t want to do a lot of ‘in your face’ promo? How does this fit with the Imperial era thing in your opinion? His tour starts next week so he won’t have that much time for general promo I think. It could also be that he and his label are afraid of overexposure, with his movies also coming in a few months. He’ll likely have to promote those around too, so maybe they are putting off magazines/interviews for that?

The promo is low key because of the threat of over exposure. He has 2 movies coming out later in the year, an ad on TV, multiple songs constantly on the radio, multiple tracks on TTH, and a massive world tour. He can’t on top of that go to a million promo things, people will hate his face in 2 seconds flat.

BTW Columbia actually isn’t responsible for the leaked album. It was his management, strangely enough. I got ahold of the leak weeks before it leaked in general and was told that the source was Full Stop Management.

Profile picture
    Melodies
    Topics:

If he independently lobbies and lands a Pepsi deal for instance, the label still owns a share of that. Bottomline, we can only hope the label promotes him optimally. 

He doesn’t have that kind of contract with the label. That’s a 360 deal. His label doesn’t even participate in his tour revenue, which he funds himself. You can check Columbia’s ROI reports on tours. Harry is never listed in them, and according to financial reports, he takes loans from himself on his Erskine Touring LLP company.

Profile picture
    Munchi
    Topics:

Harry has a stronger relationship with Stringer than Adele.

I don’t think spending time with Rob means more label support. Since Rob rose to Columbia president, he equitably oversaw the growing prominence of Harry just as much as Doja, LNX, Kid Laroi, Polo G, Future, Baby Keem, Maneskin, 24K Golden, Wizkid, BTS, “All I Want For Christmas” resurgence etc.

However, even before the already noted expensive promo Adele got with 30, he fought to partner with Apple to get 25 in physical Apple stores to coincide with iPhones release. That is the sort of above-and-beyond approach you can consider favouritism. Even Beyoncé don’t get such attention. It’s simply because Adele yields more returns, nothing personal even. Meanwhile Harry couldn’t even get into GF before Coldplay and Black Pumas.

Well, let’s hope Harry grinds this era.

Profile picture
    Melodies
    Topics:

I don’t think spending time with Rob means more label support. Since Rob rose to Columbia president, he equitably oversaw the growing prominence of Harry just as much as Doja, LNX, Kid Laroi, Polo G, Future, Baby Keem, Maneskin, 24K Golden, Wizkid, BTS, “All I Want For Christmas” resurgence etc. However, even before the already noted expensive promo Adele got with 30, he fought to partner with Apple to get 25 in physical Apple stores to coincide with iPhones release. That is the sort of above-and-beyond approach you can consider favouritism. Even Beyoncé don’t get such attention. It’s simply because Adele yields more returns, nothing personal even. Meanwhile Harry couldn’t even get into GF before Coldplay and Black Pumas. Well, let’s hope Harry grinds this era.

Spending time? He BORROWED HIS HOUSE. He literally serenaded Rob when he got the Music Industry Trust Award. Harry performed at the ceremony before he got presented the award and dedicated Two Ghosts to Rob “about the first time he broke up with me”

Rob negotiated Harry’s 80 million dollar deal with Columbia. Here’s industry insider Hits Daily Double reporting on it.

HIGH STYLES: Columbia’s closing of the Harry Styles deal is a big win for Rob Stringer. It’s also a killer start in the managerial business for Jeffrey Azoff—not to mention yet another feather in the cap of power behind the throne Irving Azoff, though the proud pop gives total credit to Jeffrey for making the deal. Spinners are spinning that Apple supposedly offered $25m for one album, which set the bar high and drove up the offers to the extent that the winning bid was in the $75-80m range for three albums.

Harry has been Sony’s biggest cash influx for the past several years…

https://twitter.com/TheHSCharts/status/1321338225500311552

Even 2+ years after release, Fine Line continued to give a gigantic amount of revenue to the label:

Further… Harry’s House is 3/3 for Harry’s projects. If they want to keep him in house, they have to give him priority. Otherwise he’s free to go wherever he wants to go (and he owns his masters).

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 764 total)

The topic ‘Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.