Home Forums Music Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 4)

Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 764 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Gucci
Boz
Monet Tejada
  • Profile picture
    Melodies
    Topics:

I don’t think this is true though? It was pretty obvious Harry was blocked by the panel, the people who denied that were mostly biased stans. Fine Line was one of the biggest albums of the eligibility season and even made the RS GOAT list, and Adore You was a big smash. He was also top 8 on GD for every category

I’m talking about the forum and it’s 100% true. I didn’t even say he was blocked by the committee because I didn’t want to get attacked, but anyone who suggested it got told they were delusional. You can try to find the threads if you want.

Profile picture
    Munchi
    Topics:

I never said Columbia would prioritize Harry over Adele. I just don’t think Columbia will weaken Harry’s chances. That was the whole argument. That because Adele is close to Stringer that means Stringer will purposefully tank Harry’s Grammy campaign in order to ensure Adele wins. Sorry if I was a little heated but I find arguments like that so shortsighted and frustrating. It kinda speaks on how little people care to look into artists like Harry because they don’t take them seriously. Last time with Fine Line, at this point, the entire forum was yelling how he’d be lucky to be nominated and probably would miss completely because the big debut was just because of bundles and he’d fall off fast and the Academy wouldn’t take him seriously. It took Fine Line proving itself for months and having big hits for people to wonder if maybe he could get a few nominations. By the time nominations approached the forum agreed that he’d get shut out of the GF and get nominations in Pop. Which is what ended up happening, of course, except everyone scoffed at the idea that it was likely a committee decision. “He just doesn’t have what it takes to be in the GF”. Even after it was announced both Pop categories would be televized, a lot of people refused to even entertain the idea that Harry could win. Then Watermelon Sugar beat four ROTY contenders out of nowhere, and THAT is when a few people started to realize he had, in fact, been shut out by the committee. As a fan (obviously) it’s just tired to read this over and over. He has to prove himself 100% more than most artists simply because of his audience and boyband past. Obviously this thread isn’t that deep, but as someone who likes having conversations about this sort of thing, reading takes that diminish your favorite artist over and over on a daily basis isn’t very fun… Just like how his release and success were swept under the rug and the forum decided to discuss a 30 year old song that can’t be nominated instead and I got attacked for pointing it out. It’s just like… we can talk about all the potential nominees releasing except him. And when we do it’s to belittle him. Like damn. Okay. Maybe I’m being sensitive but I can’t help how frustrating it feels. You don’t have to say things you don’t mean or believe, but maybe let’s keep it fair? Or not idk. Maybe it’d be easier if I just let it go and move on to discuss it with friends instead lol. Sorry for the essay, just… a lot of thoughts.

This for me is in fact a clearheaded post. But if it helps, I love Harry’s House so much as to rank it as my 3rd personal favourite of the eligibility period so far.

To paint a clearer picture, Adele, Kendrick and Bruno all have releases, so HH being my third best means it bumped one of my faves down a spot. Not to mention, I listen to music from most languages I speak, it’s a fairly large sample space.

We might not be enthusiastic about an artists but you can rest assured it doesn’t mean dislike. Its natural to feel people don’t perceive your favourites the way you do, because its true. But I believe some users found your explanations of Harry’s approach insightful and openly said so. Harry’s music might not appeal to every generation and it’s ok for more adult users here to not mind him. Many younger users here do not mind artists like Bruno either. Some users have openly voiced their distaste for music by male artists. It’s all ok, the world is too dynamic to remotely expect unison in preferences anyway.

Most users here are rather more reasonable than folks I’ve physically met in my few years of existence. However, the paranoia that comes with having a strong opinion of anything never changes, at least for me. I also doubt it’s worth being apologetic for, but best to understand. I found that not holding anything/anyone in very high regards helps me see polar views as just another drama to enjoy.

Profile picture
    alex.g
    Topics:

As someone who loved Watermelon Sugar and Adore You, I found “As It Was” rather bland and lazy. Don’t get the appeal. The instrumental is quite catchy though.

The instrumental might be quite catchy because “As It Was” sounds like a remake of the 1980’s hit, “Take On Me” by a-ha. Arguably not the first attempt at recreating that song, “Blinding lights” by The Weeknd was a different (and imho better) take on an updated “Take On Me”, successful on the charts, but not the Grammys.

Justin Hawkins has done a breakdown on the similarities in the song writing here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM7zHRbnSAI

Not an interesting song to me. If they are going to reward a 1980s remake I’d love to see Kate Bush submit a new recording of “Running Up That Hill” to the Grammys.

But Kate seems to be quite a private person, and I’m not sure if she’d even be interested in attending.

Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, the delusion is astronomical!  Adele is NOT overrewarded.  That lady rightfully earned all 15 of her Grammy wins (and all 18 nominations).  30 is totally worthy of 5 Grammy wins in this shitty ass year.  Cut the bullshit just because she beat y’alls faves.

Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

I can’t believe I agree with Gucci but yes. Adele deserves to win Album Of The Year, Song Of The Year and Best Pop Vocal Album. Record Of The Year and Best Pop Solo Performance should be between As It Was and Easy On Me for me.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Gucci is not really wrong. Right now, I would vote for Easy On Me for Pop Solo. Somehow even through her underperformance, Adele still delivered better than her competition.

The only exception is maybe Woman if it’s submitted. But About Damn Time and As It Was are just meh for me.

I wouldn’t give her AOTY though since there is already a good alternative.

Profile picture
    Munchi
    Topics:

The instrumental might be quite catchy because “As It Was” sounds like a remake of the 1980’s hit, “Take On Me” by a-ha. Arguably not the first attempt at recreating that song, “Blinding lights” by The Weeknd was a different (and imho better) take on an updated “Take On Me”, successful on the charts, but not the Grammys. 

Hmmm…perceptive. Even Kid Laroi’s Stay loosely drew inspiration from the song. But the synthesiser sound used for the bridge of “As It Was” just hits the centre of my brain.

I primarily underplay its GF chances because of its overly simplistic songwriting and sound. Same problem I had with “Watermelon Sugar”. I know it might not really impress an average music expert, especially the techies. Recent results have also shown deviation very pop-ish records in the GF particularly. The last was 1989 and we know Swift wrote the shit out of that album, Shake It Off lost despite its success. Gaga couldn’t even in her prime and she’s not some random pop star either. For now, I’ll be shocked to the bone should Harry win a Big 3 in 2023.

Profile picture
    Mother Dináh
    Topics:

If we were in the mid 2000s, Kate Bush could re-record “Running Up That Hill” and get a namecheck Best Female Pop Vocal Performance nomination.

But now with just 5 Solo Performance slots, it wouldn’t be worth the effort.

Profile picture
    Mother Dináh
    Topics:

Harry Styles definitely has more crossover appeal than, for example, Justin Timberlake had 15 years ago. He’ll absolutely win another Grammy someday. Just not in 2023 because Adele is Adele.

He’s Pop POP, but the “real music” people clearly like him. BPSP upset, AOTY, ROTY (debatable) and SOTY block in 2021, Fine Line was voted one of the 500 greatest albums of all time just months after it came out.

Hell, if it wasn’t for 30, I’d predict an As It Was sweep + BPVA. But AOTY is debatable because Silk Sonic is more competitive there despite not having a huge hit like LTDO eligible next year.

Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, y’all better NOT say Harry Styles (BARF!) is a good alternative to Adele winning Album of the Year.

Profile picture
    strangemercy
    Topics:

Right now, I would vote for Easy On Me for Pop Solo. Somehow even through her underperformance, Adele still delivered better than her competition. The only exception is maybe Woman if it’s submitted. But About Damn Time and As It Was are just meh for me. I wouldn’t give her AOTY though since there is already a good alternative.

I would as well pick Adele for BPSP and BPVA. Easily. Also looking forward to Lizzo’s Special, but I guess it’ll end up in Best Progressive R&B Album.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Honey, y’all better NOT say Harry Styles (BARF!) is a good alternative to Adele winning Album of the Year.

His album is objectively better so why not him?

Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Honey, according to Gold Derby’s end-all-be-all Metacrtiic, Adele’s album is better due to its higher score.

Profile picture
    Huerco
    Topics:

Harry Styles is NOT winning Album Of The Year. If Adele doesn’t take it the other possibilty is Kendrick Lamar or Silk Sonic.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

His album is objectively better so why not him?

Do you know what “objectively” mean?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 764 total)

The topic ‘Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.