Home Forums Music Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 5)

Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 529 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
528
( +1 hidden )
replies
84799
views
85
users
Gucci
53
strangemercy
31
Mother Dináh
30

  • Boz
    Joined:
    Jan 19th, 2020
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020586

    “As It Was” does sound like alt-pop in a way, it’s definitely more “serious” than the Dua Lipa tracks. The song actually charted on the Rock airplay charts inside the top 30, top 40 in the Alternative chart, and top 20 in the Adult Alternative chart (triple A), so it does have cross-genre appeal. The issue with “As It Was” is that it’s going against Adele, if she wasn’t in the conversation it would make total sense as a winner.

    So no, it is not another “Don’t Start Now”.


    Boz
    Joined:
    Jan 19th, 2020
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020588

    “As It Was” does sound like alt-pop in a way, it’s definitely more “serious” than the Dua Lipa tracks. The song actually charted on the Rock airplay charts inside the top 30, top 40 in the Alternative chart, and top 20 in the Adult Alternative chart (triple A), so it does have cross-genre appeal. The issue with “As It Was” is that it’s going against Adele, if she wasn’t in the conversation it would make total sense as a winner.

    So no, it is not another “Don’t Start Now”.

    Forgot to add, “Easy On Me” charted in the top 40 for both Country and Rock radio, top 20 in R&B/Hip Hop. Crazy how much appeal Adele has.


    Lorenzo Dillard
    Joined:
    Oct 4th, 2021
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020606

    Grammy voters tend to go with what feels the safest vs. who has the most appeal. Especially in the GF. Someone like Adele, a serious singer/songwriter, is more palatable than a Pop star like Harry Styles. That’s not a diss. Just the truth.


    P(oweR) Valley
    Joined:
    Sep 27th, 2011
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020617

    re Adele vs Harry

    I wonder if this is another Lorde/Bruno situation, where Adele does better in the song categories but Harry’s consolation prize is Pop Album. We’ve had more splits in the pop field. Ironically, Adele won both categories when she was up for both. Does history repeat itself or is a split is bound to happen? “Easy on Me” just feels right for at least one win. Or perhaps, Harry gets his consolation prize in Music Video.


    Gucci
    Joined:
    Dec 1st, 2019
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020637

    Honey, voters will NOT give a shit that Beyoncé is overdue.  Voters vote for white and safe.


    Melodies
    Joined:
    Nov 2nd, 2020
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020664

    Grammy voters tend to go with what feels the safest vs. who has the most appeal. Especially in the GF. Someone like Adele, a serious singer/songwriter, is more palatable than a Pop star like Harry Styles. That’s not a diss. Just the truth.

    Harry Styles is a singer songwriter. He writes all his songs, and he writes all his songs. It’s not just vanity credits.

    Both write with their producers, basically. Harry has more instruments, so he sometimes adds an extra person to compose instruments (usually Mitch Rowland who’s a drummer and guitarist, who’s also proficient on bass guitar)

    The instruments in 30 (taken from the personnel tab on Wikipedia, which is adapted from her liner notes as I don’t own 30 to check them myself):

    1. Piano
    2. Bass
    3. Rhodes
    4. Mellotron
    5. Synth
    6. Strings
    7. Kick-drum
    8. Steel guitar
    9. Guitar
    10. Hammond B3 Organ
    11. Keyboard
    12. Percussion
    13. Orchestron
    14. Bongos
    15. Vibraslap
    16. Trumpet
    17. Violin
    18. Electric guitar
    19. Organ
    20. Wurlizter
    21. Tambourine (only instrument played by Adele)

    (obviously not counting handclaps, whistles, and stomps lol)

    The instruments in Harry’s House (taken from the liner notes)

    1. Drums
    2. Percussion
    3. Bass guitar
    4. Synth
    5. Electric guitar
    6. Trumpet
    7. Tambourine
    8. Bass
    9. Upright piano
    10. Tack piano
    11. Mellotron
    12. Synth horns
    13. Wurlitzer
    14. Tubular bells (played by Harry)
    15. Acoustic guitar
    16. Synth bass
    17. Rhodes
    18. Grand piano
    19. Sax
    20. Cello
    21. Talkbox
    22. Synth guitar
    23. Horns
    24. Keys
    25. Piano
    26. Pump organ
    27. Clavinet (played by Harry)
    28. Nylon string guitar
    29. Slide guitar
    30. Model D

    You can also see the % breakdown of the writing credits if you check the PRO they’re signed to. Harry is signed to a fairly unique PRO called Global Music Rights. Not a lot of writers are signed to it, so when you check his writing credits there, the % breakdown you see is usually just the % of HIS writing credits. And if you go to BMI/ASCAP/PRS/SESAC you’ll find the rest of it.

    This got kind of complicated now because his main producer (which means, his main co-writer, basically Adele’s Greg Kurstin), Kid Harpoon, also signed to Global Music Rights now, and both of their %s got blended in. We can’t know the breakdown of most of Harry’s House, hence.

    The exception is Cinema, which was co-written with its producer, Sammy Witte, Harry has 85% of writing credits, which leaves 15% for the other co-writer (you can check Harry’s % breakdown in this link)

    Sometimes he does split songs 50/50 (usually with Kid Harpoon on songs they write alone, like Falling and Sweet Creature). But in general he has more % of writing than his co-writers.

    For instance, for Alfie’s Song, which he co-wrote with Jack Antonoff and Ilsey Juber for the soundtrack of the movie Love, Simon, he has 42.5% of writing credits, leaving the other two co-writers to split 57.5%… and the song was performed by Jack Antonoff’s band, Bleachers.

    His first album, where he included a lot more people (it’s literally the engineers and producers) in the writing credits because it was written during a music retreat in Jamaica with a group of people, you can tell even more than even in a crowd he was pulling most of the work:

    • Ever Since New York has 6 co-writers, but Harry has 34% of writing credit, leaving all the other 5 to split 66%
    • Kiwi has the same 6 co-writers, with Harry owning 35% of the credit.
    • Woman has the same 6 co-writers, Harry owns 38% of the credit
    • Only Angel has the same 6 co-writers, Harry owns 40% of the credit
    • Sign of the Times has the same 6 co-writers, Harry owns 50% of the credit

    Most of the songs go like that.

    I also have the old % breakdown from before Kid Harpoon joined Global Music Rights and his % and Harry’s blended in for Fine Line

    • Cherry, Harry has 35%, Kid Harpoon 5% (PRS), Jeff Bhasker, Tyler Johnson, and Sammy Witte split 65% (BMI)
    • To Be So Lonely, Harry has 40%, Kid Harpoon 10% (PRS), Tyler Johnson and Mitch Rowland split 50% (BMI)
    • She, Harry has 80%, Kid Harpoon 10%, Mitch Rowland and Jeff Bhasker split 10%
    • Fine Line, Harry has 50%, Kid Harpoon 30%, Jeff Bhasker, Mitch Rowland, and Sammy Witte split 20%
    • TPWK, Harry has 50%, Jeff Bhasker and Ilsey Juber split the other 50%
    • Golden, Harry has 35%, Kid Harpoon 16%, Tyler Johnson and Mitch Rowland split 49%
    • Falling, Sunflower, Adore You, and Watermelon Sugar are all equally distributed between songwriters
    • Canyon Moon Harry & Kid Harpoon both have 40% each with Mitch Rowland having the remaining 20%
    • Lights Up is the only song in which Harry has less writing credit % than one of its co-writers, Tyler Johnson has 45%, Harry has 40%, and Kid Harpoon 15%

    All songs on 30 are 50/50 except Cry Your Heart Out, which has 60% for Greg Kurstin and 40% for Adele, Can I Get It in which Adele owns 40% and Shellback and Max Martin split 60%, and All Night Parking, Adele owns 60% and Erroll 40%

    You can see her % on this link, except for Oh My God which can be found in this one

    (I can’t find Can’t Be Together, which is part of the deluxe version of her album, it’s not on ASCAP or BMI, and PRS and SESAC have private catalogs)

    Anyway, they’re both singer-songwriters. I’m not diminishing Adele’s songwriting at all, I’m showing you that this distinction is kind of ridiculous because Harry Styles is as involved (if not slightly more) in songwriting as Adele.

    He wrote with multiple respected artists in the industry. I mentioned Jack Antonoff, let me add Ryan Tedder, John Legend, Gary Lightbody, Johnny McDaid (Snow Patrol), and Gavin DeGraw. Plus also wrote for multiple artists, Ariana Grande, Michael Buble, Augustana, Kodaline, Alex & Sierra, Cam. He has an entire section on Wikipedia for the songs he’s written and most aren’t even for himself, link here

    I could only find 1 song written by Adele for another artist, Alive, written for SIA in 2015, if there are more I couldn’t find them, I searched

    If people are wondering why Harry has industry respect… well… that’s why lol. While the audience has no idea of his work ethic or his songwriting prowess, the industry does because they worked with him. He’s a veteran, has been in the industry for 12 years. His solo career is young but that’s not where he started. He was writing songs with Taylor Swift when they were dating and one of his songs was performed at the Grammys before he even went solo LINK TO VIDEO

    “Just a popstar” is such a disservice to Harry’s encyclopedic knowledge of music. Here, this interview during quarantine back in 2020… he literally talks about music for half an hour straight with Zane Lowe, who’s in awe the entire time because he can’t understand someone being a bigger music nerd than him.

    Just so you get an idea, Harry spent 6 weeks in Tokyo by himself in 2019… literally just listening to music at a record bar.

    Sorry for the essay, it’s just frustrating… this man writes all his songs from scratch and is treated like those rent-a-demo popstar simply because of ignorance.

    I think his colleagues know all of this. Whether that’s enough to beat Adele or not… probably not cause it’s Adele but not because Harry is “a popstar”.


    J
    Joined:
    Feb 25th, 2019
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020687

    Harry Styles is a singer songwriter. He writes all his songs, and he writes all his songs. It’s not just vanity credits.

    Both write with their producers, basically. Harry has more instruments, so he sometimes adds an extra person to compose instruments (usually Mitch Rowland who’s a drummer and guitarist, who’s also proficient on bass guitar)

    The instruments in 30 (taken from the personnel tab on Wikipedia, which is adapted from her liner notes as I don’t own 30 to check them myself):

    1. Piano
    2. Bass
    3. Rhodes
    4. Mellotron
    5. Synth
    6. Strings
    7. Kick-drum
    8. Steel guitar
    9. Guitar
    10. Hammond B3 Organ
    11. Keyboard
    12. Percussion
    13. Orchestron
    14. Bongos
    15. Vibraslap
    16. Trumpet
    17. Violin
    18. Electric guitar
    19. Organ
    20. Wurlizter
    21. Tambourine (only instrument played by Adele)

    (obviously not counting handclaps, whistles, and stomps lol)

    The instruments in Harry’s House (taken from the liner notes)

    1. Drums
    2. Percussion
    3. Bass guitar
    4. Synth
    5. Electric guitar
    6. Trumpet
    7. Tambourine
    8. Bass
    9. Upright piano
    10. Tack piano
    11. Mellotron
    12. Synth horns
    13. Wurlitzer
    14. Tubular bells (played by Harry)
    15. Acoustic guitar
    16. Synth bass
    17. Rhodes
    18. Grand piano
    19. Sax
    20. Cello
    21. Talkbox
    22. Synth guitar
    23. Horns
    24. Keys
    25. Piano
    26. Pump organ
    27. Clavinet (played by Harry)
    28. Nylon string guitar
    29. Slide guitar
    30. Model D

    You can also see the % breakdown of the writing credits if you check the PRO they’re signed to. Harry is signed to a fairly unique PRO called Global Music Rights. Not a lot of writers are signed to it, so when you check his writing credits there, the % breakdown you see is usually just the % of HIS writing credits. And if you go to BMI/ASCAP/PRS/SESAC you’ll find the rest of it.

    This got kind of complicated now because his main producer (which means, his main co-writer, basically Adele’s Greg Kurstin), Kid Harpoon, also signed to Global Music Rights now, and both of their %s got blended in. We can’t know the breakdown of most of Harry’s House, hence.

    The exception is Cinema, which was co-written with its producer, Sammy Witte, Harry has 85% of writing credits, which leaves 15% for the other co-writer (you can check Harry’s % breakdown in this link)

    Sometimes he does split songs 50/50 (usually with Kid Harpoon on songs they write alone, like Falling and Sweet Creature). But in general he has more % of writing than his co-writers.

    For instance, for Alfie’s Song, which he co-wrote with Jack Antonoff and Ilsey Juber for the soundtrack of the movie Love, Simon, he has 42.5% of writing credits, leaving the other two co-writers to split 57.5%… and the song was performed by Jack Antonoff’s band, Bleachers.

    His first album, where he included a lot more people (it’s literally the engineers and producers) in the writing credits because it was written during a music retreat in Jamaica with a group of people, you can tell even more than even in a crowd he was pulling most of the work:

    • Ever Since New York has 6 co-writers, but Harry has 34% of writing credit, leaving all the other 5 to split 66%
    • Kiwi has the same 6 co-writers, with Harry owning 35% of the credit.
    • Woman has the same 6 co-writers, Harry owns 38% of the credit
    • Only Angel has the same 6 co-writers, Harry owns 40% of the credit
    • Sign of the Times has the same 6 co-writers, Harry owns 50% of the credit

    Most of the songs go like that.

    I also have the old % breakdown from before Kid Harpoon joined Global Music Rights and his % and Harry’s blended in for Fine Line

    • Cherry, Harry has 35%, Kid Harpoon 5% (PRS), Jeff Bhasker, Tyler Johnson, and Sammy Witte split 65% (BMI)
    • To Be So Lonely, Harry has 40%, Kid Harpoon 10% (PRS), Tyler Johnson and Mitch Rowland split 50% (BMI)
    • She, Harry has 80%, Kid Harpoon 10%, Mitch Rowland and Jeff Bhasker split 10%
    • Fine Line, Harry has 50%, Kid Harpoon 30%, Jeff Bhasker, Mitch Rowland, and Sammy Witte split 20%
    • TPWK, Harry has 50%, Jeff Bhasker and Ilsey Juber split the other 50%
    • Golden, Harry has 35%, Kid Harpoon 16%, Tyler Johnson and Mitch Rowland split 49%
    • Falling, Sunflower, Adore You, and Watermelon Sugar are all equally distributed between songwriters
    • Canyon Moon Harry & Kid Harpoon both have 40% each with Mitch Rowland having the remaining 20%
    • Lights Up is the only song in which Harry has less writing credit % than one of its co-writers, Tyler Johnson has 45%, Harry has 40%, and Kid Harpoon 15%

    All songs on 30 are 50/50 except Cry Your Heart Out, which has 60% for Greg Kurstin and 40% for Adele, Can I Get It in which Adele owns 40% and Shellback and Max Martin split 60%, and All Night Parking, Adele owns 60% and Erroll 40%

    You can see her % on this link, except for Oh My God which can be found in this one

    (I can’t find Can’t Be Together, which is part of the deluxe version of her album, it’s not on ASCAP or BMI, and PRS and SESAC have private catalogs)

    Anyway, they’re both singer-songwriters. I’m not diminishing Adele’s songwriting at all, I’m showing you that this distinction is kind of ridiculous because Harry Styles is as involved (if not slightly more) in songwriting as Adele.

    He wrote with multiple respected artists in the industry. I mentioned Jack Antonoff, let me add Ryan Tedder, John Legend, Gary Lightbody, Johnny McDaid (Snow Patrol), and Gavin DeGraw. Plus also wrote for multiple artists, Ariana Grande, Michael Buble, Augustana, Kodaline, Alex & Sierra, Cam. He has an entire section on Wikipedia for the songs he’s written and most aren’t even for himself, link here

    I could only find 1 song written by Adele for another artist, Alive, written for SIA in 2015, if there are more I couldn’t find them, I searched

    If people are wondering why Harry has industry respect… well… that’s why lol. While the audience has no idea of his work ethic or his songwriting prowess, the industry does because they worked with him. He’s a veteran, has been in the industry for 12 years. His solo career is young but that’s not where he started. He was writing songs with Taylor Swift when they were dating and one of his songs was performed at the Grammys before he even went solo LINK TO VIDEO

    “Just a popstar” is such a disservice to Harry’s encyclopedic knowledge of music. Here, this interview during quarantine back in 2020… he literally talks about music for half an hour straight with Zane Lowe, who’s in awe the entire time because he can’t understand someone being a bigger music nerd than him.

    Just so you get an idea, Harry spent 6 weeks in Tokyo by himself in 2019… literally just listening to music at a record bar.

    Sorry for the essay, it’s just frustrating… this man writes all his songs from scratch and is treated like those rent-a-demo popstar simply because of ignorance.

    I think his colleagues know all of this. Whether that’s enough to beat Adele or not… probably not cause it’s Adele but not because Harry is “a popstar”.

    Stealing this for my essay for music theory thx!


    musiccisum
    Joined:
    Aug 4th, 2020
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020693

    I guess for many people harry will always have the “generic pop star who just performs blant pop songs written for him” image. as a fan I can only hope the voters can determine that he actually is a serious songwriter and artist.


    J
    Joined:
    Feb 25th, 2019
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020696

    Even if it’s a “new recording”, I don’t think Taylor’s re-recordings should be eligible. It’s not the same as Tony & Gaga’s Love For Sale covers, for an example, it’s just an artist re-releasing their old, acclaimed, extremely popular and nominated album with some new tracks. I totally accomplish her work and motivation on owning her old records, but submitting it would be totally unfair. It’s just my opinion, by the way.

    I just see it as fair since there have been examples of this happening in the past, “The Fame” and “The Fame Monster” both being nominated in AOTY. I think it would be unfair to allow Gaga to do that but not allow Taylor especially since Taylor basically added an entire other album on top of the previously recorded tracks. Totally understand where you are coming from though.


    Gucci
    Joined:
    Dec 1st, 2019
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020710

    Honey, no this bitch did NOT write a dissertation.  Harry Styles is like the male Ariana Grande.  Lacks substance and totally forgettable.


    Joined:
    Jan 1st, 1970
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020714
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

    flower boy
    Joined:
    Feb 12th, 2019
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020728

    An Oscar winner and two-time SOTY winner songwriter is naturally taken more seriously. Believe me.


    Bridgers13
    Joined:
    Aug 24th, 2020
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020745

    Come on now. Yes some people still don’t take Harry seriously but the industry likes and respects him, he has literally won a Grammy, and will get a bunch of noms this year. It’s just that’s he’s against Adele. It’s not that serious.


    Ant
    Joined:
    May 31st, 2022
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020750


    Moment 4 Life
    Joined:
    Apr 29th, 2021
    Topics:
    Posts:
    #1205020814

    So do we all agree that Latto is frontrunner for BNA sf ? I can’t really think of anyone else who had a breakthrough this year besides Latto.

    I think either Latto or Muni Long have the best shot at the moment. Or a very unknown artist could take the win this year since it’s such a dry year.

    Personally I’d love to see Muni win, as it’s been a while since we had a R&B female take home BNA. But a Latto win would also be welcome.

    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 529 total)

The topic ‘Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.

Similar Topics
alex.g - Nov 30, 2022
Music
Daniel ... - Nov 28, 2022
Music
PopGuy - Nov 18, 2022
Music