Home Forums Music Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 7)

Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 633 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Gucci
Boz
strangemercy
  • Profile picture
    Sunrise1981
    Topics:

What Gucci tried to say is that the Grammys clearly have a bias against black music, particularly much more if it’s hip-hop adjacent. I personally don’t think it’s an active hatred, it’s just that most voters are white and older and likely just don’t listen to much hip-hop or contemporary R&B that isn’t retro inspired. H.E.R. and Childish Gambino both won because their songs are heavily political and, let’s face it, a lot of voters just simply felt morally compelled to vote for them; both are amazing songs, in my opinion (especially H.E.R’s), but that has never mattered to most voters. Batiste won because everyone else split the popular vote and he is very much a musician’s musician who’s active in like 5 genres/fields. But given that his album couldn’t even win a single award in R&B and he missed SOTY, I highly doubt he had that much passion. Just because three black artists have won in the GF in the past decade, that doesn’t mean the Grammys don’t have a race issue. Black music shouldn’t have to be overtly-political to win awards.

It’s harder for people of color ( especially women )

Profile picture
    Lorenzo Dillard
    Topics:

What Gucci tried to say is that the Grammys clearly have a bias against black music, particularly much more if it’s hip-hop adjacent. I personally don’t think it’s an active hatred, it’s just that most voters are white and older and likely just don’t listen to much hip-hop or contemporary R&B that isn’t retro inspired. H.E.R. and Childish Gambino both won because their songs are heavily political and, let’s face it, a lot of voters just simply felt morally compelled to vote for them; both are amazing songs, in my opinion (especially H.E.R’s), but that has never mattered to most voters. Batiste won because everyone else split the popular vote and he is very much a musician’s musician who’s active in like 5 genres/fields. But given that his album couldn’t even win a single award in R&B and he missed SOTY, I highly doubt he had that much passion. Just because three black artists have won in the GF in the past decade, that doesn’t mean the Grammys don’t have a race issue. Black music shouldn’t have to be overtly-political to win awards.

Batiste led with 10 nominations, no? Winning 5. I’m curious how that wouldn’t signify passion from voters. That AOTY win certainly feels like there was a push within the industry for him. Especially when WE ARE wasn’t a huge commercial hit.

Profile picture
    Munchi
    Topics:

Baptiste won in a very weak year and he’s definitely perceived like a different artist from Beyoncé, last year he won an Oscar for Original score, that alone put more credibility on him as musician-artist than whatever Beyoncé did in her entire career.

Jon certainly didn’t win in a weak year.

Billie was trailblazing at awards, Olivia was smashing, Gaga had a strong narrative, Brandi is not some random artist, everyone loved Doja’s album, H.E.R just won big names in SOTY, LNX was ubiquitous, Jazmine’s album was thoroughly loved, Foo Fighters made a comeback, Swift has a history in AOTY and Chris Stapleton was on fire.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Batiste was nominated 10 times on a straight vote. He had passion, even if he lost in the R&B field to Jazmine Sullivan, who also had passion that year.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Batiste led with 10 nominations, no? Winning 5. I’m curious how that wouldn’t signify passion from voters. That AOTY win certainly feels like there was a push within the industry for him. Especially when WE ARE wasn’t a huge commercial hit.

I think what Boz means is that Jon didn’t win in a runaway. He won 2 Americana categories and Music Video but lost the R&B categories. He most likely got AOTY cause of the classical/Americana support because the rest of the major branches split between Billie, Olivia, and Gaga. The win, while impressive, wasn’t this freight train that GD is under the assumption that it was.

Profile picture
    alex.g
    Topics:

I am very curious to see how the Academy handles All Too Well this year. It is the most acclaimed song from one of the most acclaimed artists of our time. Though everyone pretty much agrees that All Too Well is damn near perfection, I feel like voters might go for something else because it is only semi-new. Thoughts? Either way, Taylor will at least win Best Music Video or Music Film depending on which one she submits the film to.

Who said it was the most acclaimed and and who is this ‘everyone’ that agrees that All Too Well is damn near perfection?

The lyrics are fine, but do a search on google for: most generic chord progression

Most answers will be I-V-vi-IV, otherwise known as the Axis progression, or the four chords of pop. The I-V-vi-IV chord progression is a pop music cliche, although it’s started to fall out of favour in the 2020s.

Now search for: All Too Well chord progression

The song is I-V-vi-IV in C Major (C-G-Am-F), so you have the most generic chord progression in the most commonly used key. Will musicians vote for that?

Taylor Swift has used this chord progression quite a lot in the past, e.g. Bad Blood and many others use some variation of this progression. Not so much in her recent work with Aaron Dessner,

Disclaimer: not an actual musician, let alone a Grammy voter, but once you’re familiar with the I-V-vi-IV progression, you start to hear it everywhere, especially in songs from the 2000s and 2010s.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

The 10 nominations weren’t an impressive pack though. Best Improvised Jazz Solo and Best Americana Performance are cute nominations, but clearly most of them were because he is known and on top of the ballot. Otherwise he would’ve gotten songwriting nods, were his songs weren’t labeled under B.

Obviously a lot of voters like Batiste, but his win was less of passion and more the result of a lot of small genres going for him cuz he represented them the most. It’s closer to a Babel than a Golden Hour.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Batiste obviously benefitted from the pop acts splitting, that’s not saying he isn’t liked or anything. He tanked with wins in fields like R&B and Jazz for example, so I have a hard time believing he won because of a strong backing.

2X EMMY WINNER ZENDAYA

Profile picture
    Slw84
    Topics:

Batiste obviously benefitted from the pop acts splitting, that’s not saying he isn’t liked or anything. He tanked with wins in fields like R&B and Jazz for example, so I have a hard time believing he won because of a strong backing.

So are ten nominations helping or hurting due to vote splitting? If that’s the case, Brandi Carlile or Alison Krauss and Robert Plant might benefit with the pop and r&b split sets.

Profile picture
    Che
    Topics:

The song is I-V-vi-IV in C Major (C-G-Am-F), so you have the most generic chord progression in the most commonly used key. Will musicians vote for that?

Actually, yes. I don’t think this has ever prevented a song from winning Song/Record of the Year. Just look at past winners.

Profile picture
    Monet Tejada
    Topics:

Sorry, but no matter how y’all flip it, there was passion for Jon Batiste.

The most nominated act of the year – 10 nods
    The most awarded act of the year – 5 wins
    Biggest award of the night – AOTY

All this being someone with little to no mainstream following.

That’s good enough evidence that there was passion.

It’s not his fault that there wasn’t a strong enough “pop act” in the field to run away with the trophy and avoid a “vote split,” and the majority of you were 100% sure Tony Bennett and Gaga were going to be strong enough to run away with the vote. If they didn’t win, then Billie Eilish was next in line, despite the lukewarm response to her album and its singles.

His losing in Jazz and R&B fields doesn’t signify there wasn’t passion for him either. It’s an arbitrary nitpick.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

It isn’t a nitpick. How do you have passion for an AOTY win but lose Best Improvised Jazz Solo?

Getting 10 nominations is impressive, but it doesn’t indicate passion. It just indicates you’re well known in enough branches.

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

Jon was against artists that had a good grammy history but all the darlings had no1curr projects. No one gave a fuck about Happier Than Ever, Evermore and Back Of My Mind (the latter two were especially irrelevant). The Love For Sale narrative didn’t appeal to pop voters which meant no one really cared about. Sour wasn’t getting votes outside of pop or from anyone over 25 if we’re real which is why I never bought the sweep the media was pushing. Stuff like Montero and Planet Her were clearly never winning AOTY. Montero probably finished last with how badly it bombed with both nominations and wins if we’re real. I’ve always felt like he was the consensus pick in a field without any real passion.

I also don’t know why saying the vote split benefited him is now controversial. Hasn’t that been the consensus here for a while?

Everything Everywhere All At Once & Renaissance sweep truther

Profile picture
    Sunrise1981
    Topics:

It isn’t a nitpick. How do you have passion for an AOTY win but lose Best Improvised Jazz Solo? Getting 10 nominations is impressive, but it doesn’t indicate passion. It just indicates you’re well known in enough branches.

Jon received 11 nominations, and 5 wins ( he is one of the few with the highest nominations in 1 night)

must have been because his album (Americana roots – Jazz – RnB) – classical contemporary

Profile picture
    ELIAS✨
    Topics:

I’m sorry about this Jon Baptiste argument, but I feel at odds regarding passion. Like Jon Baptiste had to have some passion for winning against some huge celebrities like Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga & Fucking Tony Bennett (a prior AOTY winner) as well huge breakout stars like Doja Cat & Olivia Rodrigo (who had an arguably biggest year of 2021 and the biggest album of 2021).

Sure, he lost several awards, and yes, a lot of people know him, but he had to have some a large of support and passion for his art to win against those huge heavyweights. Just saying, give credit where credit is due. 

Top 15 Albums of 2022 to understand my music taste lol slay

Ants From Up There
    Bronco
    CAPRISONGS
    Dawn FM
    Diaspora Problems
    Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
    Harry's House
    Hellfire
    Ivory
    Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers
    MOTOMAMI
    Melt My Eyez See My Future
    Once Twice Melody
    Preacher's Daughter
    RENAISSANCE

Everything Everywhere All At Once for Best Picture
    Severance for Outstanding Drama Series

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 633 total)

The topic ‘Grammys 2023 Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.